Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECM issues

The ECM on my 2013 VTX started experiencing issues in July 2020. Engine cutting out and seemed to be the pin connections.  Can't get an ECM from the manufacturer.  Finally sent for a reconditioning/repair to mefiburn.  Anybody experience this?

If you continue to experience the issue after you get the ECM back and still think you have a connection issue, carefully check all of the sockets and pins in the connectors at the ECM and every other connector at sensors on the engine.  Overzealous probing is a great way to compress the spring on a socket so that it doesn't make good contact, but sometimes they just don't get crimped right, or the wire chafes against something, or any number of things.

Also, I don't know which engine you have, but the symptom also sounds like a lack of thermal paste under a distributor spark module if your engine has one.  Like @oldjeep suggested above, please post more about your codes and symptoms.  That might make it easier for us to help you.

• Like 2

Had to replace an ECM last season.  Motor shut down cruising speed, dead in the water and had to get a tow in.  Dealer (AWS) was able to get it started and it ran like crap.  Tech knocked on ECM during test and it suddenly ran great.  They figured it was an unsettled connector.  They pulled orig ecm, cleaned up terminals, reinstalled it, and it went back to running like crap again.  $600 and a week later I had a new factory ECM and the boat ran flawlessly for 100 hours the rest of the season.