Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive Fluid coming out from the coupling/shaft

I noticed oily residue in the bilge.  Started to investigate and found that it is leaking out thru the shaft coupling.  looks like it's traveling on the exterior of the shaft and comes out before the shaft goes into the dripless shaft seal.  Tried looking it up, maybe it is the output shaft seal?

The accumulation is equivalent to just under 1 drip in 48 hours.  These pics were taken 48 hours after I cleaned up the first time when I noticed this on Friday

IMG_6240.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6238.jpg

Last pic shows it all.  It's somehow traveling on the exterior shaft and out of the coupling

IMG_6239.PNG

Edited by hawaiianstyln

Not sure it's worth getting worked up over that small of an amount.  I'd put a spill pad in there and not worry about it if that's the only leak you have.  Maybe an alignment would help?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, formulaben said:

Not sure it's worth getting worked up over that small of an amount.  I'd put a spill pad in there and not worry about it if that's the only leak you have.  Maybe an alignment would help?

a close friend told me the same tonight.  it probably had 6-7 drips since October winterization.  I guess that isn't bad.  Just bothers me.  Can you just pull the vdrive for this job or does it require trans and vdrive?  

RedWakesetterVLX
5 hours ago, formulaben said:

This ☝️

• Like 1
10 hours ago, formulaben said:

Not sure but my guess is it'll be painful.

I'll be able to attest to that pain shortly. My boat is at the dealer for this very thing. It developed a slow leak in the middle of the summer and by the time I winterized, it was leaking bad enough that it would not register on the dipstick in two weeks after filling. 

2 minutes ago, Kojak said:

I'll be able to attest to that pain shortly. My boat is at the dealer for this very thing. It developed a slow leak in the middle of the summer and by the time I winterized, it was leaking bad enough that it would not register on the dipstick in two weeks after filling. 

yikes that is my worry if I let it go into the summer and now i'm out a boat during play time

1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

yikes that is my worry if I let it go into the summer and now i'm out a boat during play time

I'll let you know how my repair goes. Hopefully it helps you make a decision.

Not sure how long it will be though. The dealer has had it for three weeks and last I heard, it would be another week before they got to it. 

• Like 1

A good buddy of mine is a very good mechanic and owns a Malibu as well.  Not sure if we were going to try and tackle this ourselves.  Was hoping to find out the details:  Does the tranny and V have to both get pulled or can I remove shaft from V coupling and pull just the Vdrive, etc......  I will wait to hear or they tell you the process they did on yours.  thx

• Like 2
17 hours ago, formulaben said:

Maybe an alignment would help?

I agree with checking the alignment.  Constant pressure to the side may convince the seal to leak since the bearings could have a slight bit of play.  This will also eventually wear that side of the seal, causing a bigger leak.

• Like 1

Mine does the same.  Was told by dealer that it could be the inner or outer seal to transmission.  Mine seeps just a little.  Just check fluid and run it as is till it gets worse.  It just bothers me that mine leaks a little.

• Like 1