Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying boat without title

roeboat

I'm looking at buying a 95 flightcraft barefooter from a guy in Wisconsin but he doesn't have title for the boat or trailer. He bought it from someone in colorado. Apparently you don't need a title to register the boat. He says he does have the MSO from the factory. Would this be enough to get a title in michigan? Does anyone else have experience buying a boat from colorado and titling it? I'm also not sure about the trailer. The boat is pretty beat up and the price is low so I'm worried it could be hot.

8 minutes ago, roeboat said:

I'm looking at buying a 95 flightcraft barefooter from a guy in Wisconsin but he doesn't have title for the boat or trailer. He bought it from someone in colorado. Apparently you don't need a title to register the boat. He says he does have the MSO from the factory. Would this be enough to get a title in michigan? Does anyone else have experience buying a boat from colorado and titling it? I'm also not sure about the trailer. The boat is pretty beat up and the price is low so I'm worried it could be hot.

Hey Roeboat,

Just walk away. Or, make the seller produce a clear (no liens) and clean (salvage?) title. If the seller cannot produce a title, just walk away. Regardless of state, you will be buying a boat you may likely not be able to register, and worse, you do not know the history on this boat or trailer. 

Chris

If it is stolen, the HIN will be in a database somewhere.  The HIN can also give lien info.  But like Dad used to say "If it  sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

I can confirm we don’t do titles for boats in Colorado. A buddy of mine flips boats. I know that he has been able to take boats from here with their registration and a notarized bill of sale, and get a title in Nebraska.  He also says that the MSO can be used in place of a title.  At least in NE.

This is a pretty common thing. Check with what ever organization you have to register the boat through and see what their requirements are. 

Edited by RyanB
15 hours ago, roeboat said:

It is not hot. That boat was from Colorado a few years ago. You could probably find it on this sight, but it was on craigslist so a valid link would be gone.

The seller is legit and is on a ski team and he does purchase used boats and sells them. He found a MC Barefooter in better condition and the team used that instead.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, footndale said:

This was the same boat, but you can't really confirm, right? Old links.

One picture of the boat when I was inquiring on it too.

image.thumb.png.682c3099131cf271bedc5032cca2a063.png

That's looks like the same boat.

1 hour ago, footndale said:

It is not hot. That boat was from Colorado a few years ago. You could probably find it on this sight, but it was on craigslist so a valid link would be gone.

The seller is legit and is on a ski team and he does purchase used boats and sells them. He found a MC Barefooter in better condition and the team used that instead.

I talked to the owner and he seems legit. I was just worried about the history before he bought it. 

I don't think the trailer will be a problem because if it's under 2500lbs it doesn't need a title. 

Does anyone have experience registering and titling a boat with just a MSO. I want to know I'll be able to drive it after I fix it up.

Yeah thats the same boat as the one I'm looking at. I've talked to the owner and he seems legit, I was just worried about its history before he bought it.  I'm not sure if I would be able to title the boat with the MSO because I am not buying from the original owner. I'm looking to register it in Michigan.  Would it be unreasonable to ask for the seller to title it in his name and I would pay for the titling fees? Ill also give my dnr a call

26 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If it is under 20 feet, it does not have to be titled.

You can't make absolute statements like that regarding registrations and titles.  What might be true where you live isn't the same everywhere.

53 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If it is under 20 feet, it does not have to be titled.

That is true in michigan but malibu lists the boat at 20 feet

28 minutes ago, RyanB said:

You can't make absolute statements like that regarding registrations and titles.  What might be true where you live isn't the same everywhere.

We are talking about where the OP said he was going to register it.

I had a similar situation.  I bought a boat from NH and brought it back to PA.  NH is a no title state, but there was a place on the back of the registration to sign over to a new owner.  The signed over registration plus the BOS and no issues getting a title in PA.

• 2 weeks later...

@footndale

I'm looking at it on Saturday. I mostly likely will take it unless he couldn't get a title for it. I let y'all know if I take it.

Afters some research I found it's against the law in Wisconsin to sell a boat without a title. 

• Like 3

@footndale

I've talked to the seller and he wouldn't title it before I bought it even though I said I would pay for the fees so I am out. I would have bought if he had a title. It would be very hard to title the boat if it is bought from state that requires a title and it doesn't have one.

• Like 2