Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Production time for new Malibu

New to the site... I ordered my Malibu 2021 Malibu 24MXZ in January... was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about how long the current production time is.

thank you and look forward to responses RCC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RCC

• Slayer

• The Hulk

• Kojak

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update:  I just talked to my guy and we confirmed for 2/24.   

I put a deposit on a 23LSV that the dealer had coming in for stock. Looks like the build sheet had a Date of 10/20/20 and had a slot date of 2/11/21. I was able to make changes last month and optioned

I’m a whimp lol ... sometime in July for me... I do sit on the boat and 🍺🤟 before then lol

8 minutes ago, RCC said:

New to the site... I ordered my Malibu 2021 Malibu 24MXZ in January... was wondering if anyone could give me an idea about how long the current production time is.

thank you and look forward to responses RCC

Your dealer can get a "spray date" (the day they start the building process) from Malibu. It takes about a 5-6 days of production to build a boat. There are a number of stations, 18-22 I think, and each has ~50 minutes with the boat, except the curing state after gel spraying and fiberglass spraying. Expect that your boat would be wrapped and on a trailer to you 2 weeks after the spay date. Every production spot is sold to dealers in an allotment and there is a pattern to how the boat molds are allocated in the pattern, there is some ability for dealers to work with Malibu to swap spay dates, etc. based on customer demand and "horse trading" for different models, etc. This is why there are very few showroom floor Malibu boats, a dealer will put their showroom boats at the end of their allocation and change the models and options to match what customers want to order.

Short version: find out your spray date, add two weeks, then calculate how long it takes from the truck to get from Loudon to your dealer, then find out how long your dealer expects to have the boat in "dealer prep".

• Like 3

Thank you for the information... dealer was only able to give me an approximate time frame of May or possibly June.. ughh 

are you saying they know the spray time ? 

10 minutes ago, RCC said:

Thank you for the information... dealer was only able to give me an approximate time frame of May or possibly June.. ughh 

are you saying they know the spray time ? 

Yes, the dealer should know the exact spay date for each of their build slots; at least that's how it's been in the past. When they put the order in the computer it should give them the spray date.

Umm wonder why they haven’t told me... I also talked to someone at the factory and they said it had not been assigned... I may need to pay a visit to my dealer and ask him directly... can’t get on the water until late March in Missouri but I don’t want to wait all summer either... 

3 minutes ago, mikeo said:

Yes, the dealer should know the exact spay date for each of their build slots; at least that's how it's been in the past. When they put the order in the computer it should give them the spray date.

Thank you... still trying to figure out how the site works

Hi RCC,

Congrats on your new boat! MikeO nailed it. What is also true is Malibu is placing named orders for boat in front of dealer inventory boats. All that said, if you ordered in Jan. your dealer should have a spray date. Hearing May or June would not be enough for me.

Chris

• Like 3

We ordered December 21, 2020, last update I had was an estimated spray date end of March. The impression I get from our dealer is that they don't know exact spray dates but so far out, or at least that they don't like to commit too far in the future for an exact build date.  This makes sense, if there are delays in production or trading of slots for some reason they would not want to have to keep changing the date.  

The whole thing about build slots and dealer allocations is a pretty consistent story on the board around how the process works.  Same for build time from spray date.  The variable for us is that the dealer has a new receiving process where they do a full QC at a central location before delivering to the dealership.  I have this vision of them getting a bunch of boats at the same time and our siting there for a couple of weeks.

Your dealer will know the amount of slots they have in those later months but won't know their exact timing for awhile yet. The slots they have before then are already spoken for, mostly for custom orders and some for their inventory stock builds. Once a slot is locked down, it's a 4 day build and your boat is in shrink wrap and ready to ship the morning of day 5. How long shipping takes will depend on when the next truck leaves with a full load for your dealership. Could be the same day or it could be a couple weeks if other orders for the dealer aren't being built yet.

I'd keep talking with your dealer about timing but doubt it would be earlier than May if that's what they indicated. It's already shaped up to be another crazy season in this industry so congratulations on your new boat!

BTW, if the build ends up in June, I'd be asking what it takes to get a model year 2022 sticker slapped on the boat since the switchover happens fairly early that month.

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Your dealer will know the amount of slots they have in those later months but won't know their exact timing for awhile yet. The slots they have before then are already spoken for, mostly for custom orders and some for their inventory stock builds. Once a slot is locked down, it's a 4 day build and your boat is in shrink wrap and ready to ship the morning of day 5. How long shipping takes will depend on when the next truck leaves with a full load for your dealership. Could be the same day or it could be a couple weeks if other orders for the dealer aren't being built yet.

I'd keep talking with your dealer about timing but doubt it would be earlier than May if that's what they indicated. It's already shaped up to be another crazy season in this industry so congratulations on your new boat!

BTW, if the build ends up in June, I'd be asking what it takes to get a model year 2022 sticker slapped on the boat since the switchover happens fairly early that month.

Thanks and good idea about the 2022 ... the dealer did tell me that the price point was going way up for next year 

10 hours ago, RCC said:

Thanks and good idea about the 2022 ... the dealer did tell me that the price point was going way up for next year 

Yep, they’ve already had one mid-year price increase, which you paid. The current combo of inflation in the supply chain plus overwhelming demand will make 2022 pricing interesting.

That’s an interesting topic. I ordered in november and the dealer said that the boat will be built in march. 

18 minutes ago, philnizz said:

That’s an interesting topic. I ordered in november and the dealer said that the boat will be built in march. 

Oh man ... I hope the dealer has more ethics than to string me along for a full summer... I think I will contact him and Malibu boats directly next month 

15 minutes ago, RCC said:

Oh man ... I hope the dealer has more ethics than to string me along for a full summer... I think I will contact him and Malibu boats directly next month 

It’s not that the dealer would be stringing you along, it’s just the lead time right now. There are variables on which model, the dealer and how many spots they have that are filled or not. People that ordered boats in November and December are just seeing their orders go into production. Look back through some order threads and you’ll see this same time frame stated back in November. Malibu and all boat manufacturers are seeing the highest demand for boats in history at a time when getting labor and raw material is at one of the most difficult times in history. 

• Like 3

Build slots are tricky right now. I locked up my build in late November and finally got my build slot date a little over a week ago. (March 30th) Thankfully I JUST missed the price increase for mid year.

As others mentioned, dealers are moving things around a bit and trying to make it all work given the influx of orders this year. 2022 is going to be expensive IMO. (price increases) Supply and demand are going to hurt new boat buyers in the new and used boat market.

• Like 3

Most of the research I’ve done said it’s a 4 to 6 month process at this time... I’m going from a bass boat to this Malibu... I’m not a patient person lol..I’m a retired police officer from one of the highest crime areas in the nation.. we were expected to solve a problem that had existed for years in 15 minutes and get to the next call pending.. this May be Gods way of making me chill lol

I ordered at the end of October.  Originally I was told that my spray date would be May or June.  However, about 6 weeks ago the dealer called me with a February 25 spray date.  4-6 months is likely an accurate assessment given the current climate.  Most of the stock boats our dealer is ordering sell while in transit.  They only have a few floor models.  

• Like 2

Hopefully early June for ours... anything before April is no good anyway in Missory (Missouri). It’s -25 wind chill with 5 inches of snow right now.... come on summer!!!!

15 minutes ago, RCC said:

Hopefully early June for ours... anything before April is no good anyway in Missory (Missouri). It’s -25 wind chill with 5 inches of snow right now.... come on summer!!!!

We're usually in the water in early April here in MI.  Depends on how the spring is, but that's generally the case.  We get wet as soon as possible. 

1 hour ago, RCC said:

I’m a whimp lol ... sometime in July for me... I do sit on the boat and 🍺🤟 before then lol

LOL!

This is why we ordered a heater on the new boat......we can still enjoy the chilly early and late season water and be able to get warm quickly.  I just need to order one of those fleece blankets that attaches to the heater tubes to keep the better half comfortable and happy. 

8 minutes ago, Slayer said:

LOL!

This is why we ordered a heater on the new boat......we can still enjoy the chilly early and late season water and be able to get warm quickly.  I just need to order one of those fleece blankets that attaches to the heater tubes to keep the better half comfortable and happy. 

We ordered one of those blankets, too. They were out of stock but should be shipping soon. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Kojak said:

We ordered one of those blankets, too. They were out of stock but should be shipping soon. 

I haven't ordered it yet, but a friend had a couple of them last season on his Tige' and I was told that when we order the boat, we need the blankets.  Where did you order them?

I got the 3 heater tubes on it ... and the stern control... I was never impressed with the handling of my buddies Malibu but digging the stern control