Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

On 8/3/2020 at 10:52 PM, IXFE said:

That's the same size as my Diamond.  The Diamond is alot more "locked in" than the Matrix.  It's the most "locked in" skim I've ever ridden.  Honestly, that's why I bought it.  After I bought the Matrix in early 2019, I was on a trip with some buddies, and one of them had a Diamond.  I remember thinking "they look almost identical... how different can this be?"  I rode it a bunch that week and liked it alot.  It seemed just as fun to me, but also different enough to justify buying one... almost like a kinder, gentler skim.  I figured the rest of the family would like it (at the time I was trying to get them off the Ronix Carbon Powertail) and the Diamond seemed like just ticket to ease them into the fun I was having on the Matrix.  I also enjoyed it enough myself and figured it would be fun to mix it into my own rotation from time to time.  

Reasons the Diamond is more "locked in" include the fact that it has three fins (albeit very shallow) instead of one on the Matrix.  Sure, you can take two of them off, but I haven't bothered.  If I want one fin, I just rid the Matrix!  But fins are not the only difference... the tail of Diamond is more squared off giving it a bit more of a surf style feel, as weird as that is to say about a skim.  By that I mean it gains speed easier through pumping... there's just a lot more surface area in the tail.  Also, with the three fins and squared off tail, the back is A LOT less prone to sliding out as you come down the wave.  All that sounds great, but here's the part nobody in the family likes and why they've all migrated to the Matrix this season.. the Diamond pearls soooo easily.  I asked the Phase 5 rep about that he said it has less rocker than the Matrix.  This to me is the fatal flaw of the Diamond... an advanced surfer is going to prefer the Matrix.  And the pearling kinda negates the more user friend tail for the intermediate or beginner surfer.  

The Matrix on the other hand is ALL about riding the edges.  When you first ride it... the lack of tail and deep fins will expose flaws in your fundamentals. You will absolutely fall face first into the wave face several times while you figure it out.  You'll feel like Bambi on ice!  But that's why I love it.  It's such a challenge and it makes you a more fundamental surfer.  Edge, edge, edge.  Every time I slide out coming down the wave, it's a reminder... get on edge!!   After a few sets you'll start to get the hang of it.  Once you do you'll realize it's just a BLAST... so light, so toss-able, so easy to spin.  I've never rode a board before that feels like it's an extension of your legs... until the Matrix.  

I have zero hesitation recommending the Matrix over the Diamond.  It's just a better, more modern shape.  If you can find one, get one.  But that's a big IF these days.  They are sold out just about everywhere.

Rode the Matrix. Fun board. Need more time on it. What tricks are you throwing on it? 

Circling back to the Happy Pill. I tried the 5’4” and it was much more difficult to flip it vertical to get up on than my inland surfer blue lake 5”4”....

I’m thinking of trying the 4’10” model next ...I’m 5’11” 195 lbs...

Thoughts?

Does anyone ride the Byerly Speedster?  I bought one last year thinking it would be a good board for the larger riders on the boat (not me), but we never really rode it.  Thinking I should sell it and get something else for me.  

It is up at our cabin so I can't look at it, but I believe it is the 5'2".  It is this Father Sky design.  

Edited by guitarcrazy
Added Link

I bought a Byerly Speedster a couple years ago and was totally unimpressed.  I kept it and a Hyperlite Shim around for newbies to use and everyone (including me) preferred the Shim.  I expected the board to feel somewhat fast and maneuverable given its name but didn't find that it lived up to it at all.  I just sold it 2 weeks ago because it basically sat in the garage for the last 2 summers collecting dust.

Ok so here are some reviews from the many boards I got to ride this year.

Jet Pilot Dylan : Fast fun easy to spin for a surf style board.  Blast to ride

Soulcraft Jimmi 8 : bought this board on sale and fast down the line lots of pop.

Exile Ryan Deese Pro model :  best skim board I’ve ridden, fast.

Phase 5 Matrix : fan favorite for a reason great board 

Soulcraft Secret Weapon :  liked it but the board was too big and need to get on a properly sized one for a proper review

Lib tech Air’n - felt a little too locked in and stable for my taste.  Quite a bit slower than the soulcrafts

Soulcraft Jordi - another great board from Jeff.  More stable than the Jimmi but fun.

soulcraft voodoo - fun fast, good pop.  Rides very similar to the Jimmi

soulcraft Keenan Flegal Skim -  very slick,  if you like a slick skimboard this one is awesome,  not for a beginner.

out of all these boards I have the Exile and Soulcraft Jimmi.  I am going to pick up the Jetpilot.  It’s an amazing board.  

• Like 4

I’ve been spending a lot of surfing time this past year taking kids for rides.  The look on their face and excitement riding a wave without the rope is worth the sore legs by the time the day is over.  What is the groups thoughts on using Phase 5 2021 Zilla board for this (vs my current hazard)?  I know it’s new for this year and probably no one has rode it, but based on the specs?  Also, would the Zilla board be a good one for newer surfers who can get up but have a hard time dropping the rope and not falling out the back of the wave?

https://phase5boards.com/products/21-zilla

32 minutes ago, DAI said:

I’ve been spending a lot of surfing time this past year taking kids for rides.  The look on their face and excitement riding a wave without the rope is worth the sore legs by the time the day is over.  What is the groups thoughts on using Phase 5 2021 Zilla board for this (vs my current hazard)?  I know it’s new for this year and probably no one has rode it, but based on the specs?  Also, would the Zilla board be a good one for newer surfers who can get up but have a hard time dropping the rope and not falling out the back of the wave?

https://phase5boards.com/products/21-zilla

I just looked at this.  Kind of an interesting board.  I have never been on any of the Phase 5 surf style boards though.  This looks similar to their Kong, however the Zilla looks like it is rated as a little more advanced than the Kong.  The Kong might be a better fit for you to ride with your kids and for newbies.  Max weight on the Kong is 350 vs 275.

3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I just looked at this.  Kind of an interesting board.  I have never been on any of the Phase 5 surf style boards though.  This looks similar to their Kong, however the Zilla looks like it is rated as a little more advanced than the Kong.  The Kong might be a better fit for you to ride with your kids and for newbies.  Max weight on the Kong is 350 vs 275.

I was eyeballing up the Kong also.  However, all things near equal, I was leaning Zilla just because my 8 year old is really into Godzilla and would get a kick out of it.  I really wish I had a way to demo them . . . 

Has anyone rode the exile ryan deese pro model and the phase 5 key. I am currently riding a hyperlite hi-fi and cant decide if I want to upgrade to one of these two this winter.

So if anyone has any experience with these boards could you answer my questions.

1. How do the exile ryan deese pro model and phase 5 key compare?

2. Is it worth upgrading from my hyperlite hi-fi or will they not be that big of a difference?

• 3 months later...

how is the hyperlite hi-fi, looking at some skim style boards.  Have ridden the beginner CWB board and a hyperlite landlock for more long board feel.  Surfing behind a 2016 VTX.  Thanks.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, LakePTDoc said:

how is the hyperlite hi-fi, looking at some skim style boards.  Have ridden the beginner CWB board and a hyperlite landlock for more long board feel.  Surfing behind a 2016 VTX.  Thanks.  

I bought one last season and we all love it.  It's easy to get up on even for new riders.   All my friends who rode it last year loved it and several bought their own.  

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 12:39 PM, LakePTDoc said:

Our friends bought that board last year and brought it on a week long trip. Everyone in our family loved it and I ordered it on Black Friday. Come to find out the third family that went with us also loved it and ordered the same time I did. Should be showing up in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody ride the Libtech Crak'n?  I'm grew up surfing and enjoy hanging on the rope and doing big carves off the top.  Any surf style recommendations for behind 2018 24 MXZ appreciated, not a fan of skims and spinning.

• 4 months later...

Small Kids surfboard (Can't get up) FIX

My son age 8 he was just so small he was having a hard time getting up.

Liquid Force Gromi with straps (Skim). Fits in all racks its thin

He got up first try with this board also you can remove the straps so the board is great all the way around.

https://liquidforce.com/gromi-wakesurfer-with-straps/

gromi-46-straps.jpg

SPECS-GROMI-STRAPS.png

IMG_7782.jpg

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Bradley Thornton said:

Small Kids surfboard (Can't get up) FIX

My son age 8 he was just so small he was having a hard time getting up.

Liquid Force Gromi with straps (Skim). Fits in all racks its thin

He got up first try with this board also you can remove the straps so the board is great all the way around.

Thanks for this great tip. Had some small kids recently and they could not turn the board up but did fine with their dad in the water when they started.

Something to add to my growing off season wish list.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BearCreekBum said:

Thanks for this great tip. Had some small kids recently and they could not turn the board up but did fine with their dad in the water when they started.

Something to add to my growing off season wish list.

That was my sons problem. He was starting to say I don't want to try anymore. I seen a guy on Fakebook say it helped his kids I bought it the same day and it worked great. 

• 2 months later...

Ok, new boat after not having one for a few years. I would say we are beginner to intermediate surfers at this point. 

Can someone assist me in picking some boards out for my crew. I'd like a skim style board (never tried this), a surf board and then at least one that my girls and wife can ride. My girls are all lighter, and they are anxious to find a good board for them. 

I imagine having 3 boards on the boat. Hit me with it, please? 

Hyperlite boradcast , beginner/ all around good boat board to have for learning and random family/friends.

phase5 matrix or Victoria boards, fast /fun more of a skim style board, slippery and fun to ride.

soulcraft surf style( voodoo, Honu, superfly), fast, light board for carving, turns and airs.

IMHO after buying/selling big name factory boards (ronix, hyperlite etc.) over the years , the “performance” of them just never compared to the phase 5 , Victoria, and soulcraft customs, and it’s not like they are priced much different.

• Like 3

We have a number of P5 skim style which we ride constantly. For the money, for newer and intermediate riders the HL Shim has been hard to beat for us. The one we have is a 2016 board is heavier than the newer ones, but it has seen a ton of use from all level of riders! It is a very sturdy board as well. We will probably get a new one this year to augment the old one. 

3 hours ago, wdr said:

We have a number of P5 skim style which we ride constantly. For the money, for newer and intermediate riders the HL Shim has been hard to beat for us. The one we have is a 2016 board is heavier than the newer ones, but it has seen a ton of use from all level of riders! It is a very sturdy board as well. We will probably get a new one this year to augment the old one. 

I'm thinking of getting the Matrix in 53" as most of us are 5'9" and 170 minus.  

What board do you guys think the girls will like. All 3 are light with my daughter being the tallest at 5'7". 

Our most used P5 is our Trident Carbon Pro in a 53 which I don’t believe they make anymore.  It was designed for a heavier rider up to 200lbs which was the claim at the time we bought it. I normally weigh in at 196 my wife a lot less. My wife has no problem with it, but it took some getting used to. Most other friends in our crew don’t like how fast or loose it can get without all 3 fins. We normally run just one 3/4” fin. Typical of most skims though.