Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stuck T handle drain Axis A24

Ok first question is what is the purpose of the drain when there is one in the rear of the boat? 

secondly, I do have a little water in the center area. If I park on a steep hill will that water flow to the rear of the boat and eventually drain out the rear? 

do you guys take both drain plugs out after each use on the lake? 
I have all the hoses for the ballasts in the center access hatch where this T handle is located. There is def not much room to work. Just wondering if there is a trick to break it loose?

or do I even need to bother with it? 
new boat owner so please more info the better.

2015 Axis A24

thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Bwhit said:

Ok first question is what is the purpose of the drain when there is one in the rear of the boat? 

secondly, I do have a little water in the center area. If I park on a steep hill will that water flow to the rear of the boat and eventually drain out the rear? 

do you guys take both drain plugs out after each use on the lake? 
I have all the hoses for the ballasts in the center access hatch where this T handle is located. There is def not much room to work. Just wondering if there is a trick to break it loose?

or do I even need to bother with it? 
new boat owner so please more info the better.

2015 Axis A24

thanks. 

You can use a wrench to remove if the T handle won't do it.  Just be careful not to strip the fitting.

The purpose is that it is a low spot in the boat, and if you are sitting on flat ground it tends to want to pool there.  On my boat if it is on the launch hill, the water drains out of that area via the transom plug.  The only time I remove the center plug is when I am winterizing in the garage, because that is where a lot of the water winds up.

But yeah - just grab it with a pliers or something.  It's kind of a pain to get a good handhold on mine since it is surrounded by pumps and hoses.

5 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Your T-handle should have flats on it to allow the use of a proper wrench.  If it is in a really tight spot, a crowfoot should work.

There is a "nut" cast in at the top of the plug part, but there is virtually no way to get ahold of it in my boat due to the proximity of the pumps.  A big channel locks on the handle is how I bust it loose if I can't get it out by hand.  It only comes out once a year, so it is usually stuck pretty good.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

Thank you for the info. I don’t think this plug has ever been removed!!! It’s in there. I’ll try vise grips. Was even thinking of putting a crescent wrench on the T handle. So wrench is vertical. Put a pipe through the hole on the handle of the crescent wrench and hope for the best. 
I just don’t want to snap off the t handle  

i never remove my rear and now its a permanent rgb ,  always remove your center, some will come out rear going up a big ramp or levee (if bilge full and you haven't pulled t handle)  but once on flat land pull tour t handle, only put back in if your on a lift, mine stays out all week andbi wet vac the residual water, no algae growing in mine and with brack water it certainly would 

Edited by granddaddy55
17 minutes ago, Bwhit said:

Thank you for the info. I don’t think this plug has ever been removed!!! It’s in there. I’ll try vise grips. Was even thinking of putting a crescent wrench on the T handle. So wrench is vertical. Put a pipe through the hole on the handle of the crescent wrench and hope for the best. 
I just don’t want to snap off the t handle  

have you tried under handed ,  if i put my hand on top and its tight i get less leverage, underhanded i seem to have more power counter clock wise because its between thumb and forefinger with the whole base of the palm turning

when mine got stuck like that i had to get a new o-ring because the o ring was slightly out of place and worn out from being left in to tight 

Edited by granddaddy55

That T-Handle plug is also the one you would use to drain your oil if you don't use some sort of pump.  The oil drain hose will drop through that hull drain and allow you to drain the oil into a bucket.

I have three plugs in my boat, and I usually pull the forward one in the ski locker to drain water.  I'm always surprised how far I have to lift the bow of the boat to fully drain it if I use the rear plug on the transom.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, justgary said:

That T-Handle plug is also the one you would use to drain your oil if you don't use some sort of pump.  The oil drain hose will drop through that hull drain and allow you to drain the oil into a bucket.

I have three plugs in my boat, and I usually pull the forward one in the ski locker to drain water.  I'm always surprised how far I have to lift the bow of the boat to fully drain it if I use the rear plug on the transom.

He has a V drive - which typically have 3 plugs in the hull.  One in the walkthrough under the floor cap, one under the engine and one in the transom.

I believe he is talking about the one in the front hole up by the drivers seat walkthrough where the pumps are for the front and center tanks.

FWIW - my oil drain hose gets pulled out the transom drain, not the one under the engine.

50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

He has a V drive - which typically have 3 plugs in the hull.  One in the walkthrough under the floor cap, one under the engine and one in the transom.

I believe he is talking about the one in the front hole up by the drivers seat walkthrough where the pumps are for the front and center tanks.

FWIW - my oil drain hose gets pulled out the transom drain, not the one under the engine.

you have three in your VTX?  my a 20 has two, is it the 24’s that have the one under motor?

3 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

you have three in your VTX?  my a 20 has two, is it the 24’s that have the one under motor?

Yes.  My VTX has 3.  a T handle in the walk through, a T handle under the motor and a normal square head plug in the transom.  The one under the motor is pretty useless

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

One of the best tips I found here was to add removing T-hanbdles to your winterization checklist so they don't seize.  Put teflon tape on them, not to get them super tight, but to ease in removal later.

And don't go super tight when installing.  They are tapered threads and seal up pretty will just hand tight.

Edited by formulaben

A good trick to get leverage on the T handle or other tricky places like water meter turn offs is to grab a few crescent wrenches of varying sizes. Put one vertically on the center of the T handle. Then use a second crescent horizontally on the top end of the first wrench. This gives you lots of leverage without marring the T handle.

If it's still fighting you, I'd try some PB blaster from the top and heat from the bottom.