Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When does Malibu stop the current model year and start production of the next model year?

djheywood

It seems every year in mid summer we start seeing people with the following model year boats.  Does anyone know the date that Malibu typically switches production from one model year to the next? 

There is a gentleman's agreement among the manufacturers to not start building the next year until after July 4th. My 2021 M240 was built in July 2020. 

If I remember correctly, it is a little fuzzy, right... next MY boats show up in the market prior to the official "launch."  I believe they do shut the factory down for a few days to switch over, but not sure if the is every model at the same time or if that is model by model.

14 minutes ago, gregtay said:

If I remember correctly, it is a little fuzzy, right... next MY boats show up in the market prior to the official "launch."  I believe they do shut the factory down for a few days to switch over, but not sure if the is every model at the same time or if that is model by model.

Yes.

I just went back and looked at the 2021 prediction thread.  People were ordering 2021's in May with confirmation on the changes (ie" walk through transom, etc.")  In early June dealers were posting up 2021 models for sale with build sheets on s they had on order (likely in error as I am sure Malibu didn't want them to do that yet.)  Dealers had configurators avail in early June.  We saw the first "2021" boat (with photos) posted on Inboardonly (for sale, in stock, real photos) on June 14th.  The new 23 was posted on Facebook (for sale) on June 20th. sbaird4000 posted that his new 23 was at his dealer on June 23rd.  So based on that, the new MY ordering and production/shipping starts much earlier than July 1st.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
34 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I just went back and looked at the 2021 prediction thread.  People were ordering 2021's in May with confirmation on the changes (ie" walk through transom, etc.")  In early June dealers were posting up 2021 models for sale with build sheets on s they had on order (likely in error as I am sure Malibu didn't want them to do that yet.)  Dealers had configurators avail in early June.  We saw the first "2021" boat (with photos) posted on Inboardonly (for sale, in stock, real photos) on June 14th.  The new 23 was posted on Facebook (for sale) on June 20th. sbaird4000 posted that his new 23 was at his dealer on June 23rd.  So based on that, the new MY ordering and production/shipping starts much earlier than July 1st.

I’m not sure if I would take last years timing in MY changeover and standard. It was adjusted because of the plant shutdown due to covid. Beginning of July has been standard.