Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Platform Bracket Angle Rise for 2003 Malibu

Last year, our teak swim platform was stolen off our 2003 boat.  I found a company that will make a new teak platform with the same Malibu specs - Teak World Enterprises.  They referred me to Alloy Marine for brackets since malibu stopped making them.  The guy at Alloy Marine is asking for the "angle rise" for the bracket that will hold the platform.    I will need to create a template.  Before starting this, I wanted to ask if anyone knows the specs for the platform bracket angle rise on a 2003 Malibu Sunsetter.  I have tried to contact  Malibu customer service to check and see if they hopefully have these specs.  I can't get through to them.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Guy at Alloy said I'd have to be sure the boat is at "water level" before measuring the angle.  Since my boat is in the garage I am afraid I won't be able to guess the water level to adjust the boat for measurements.  

Tell me how to determine the angle and I'll get it for you.

Steve B.

edit: maybe if I put it flat against a wall, and use a protractor thing might be a good way? My guess is around 95 degrees.

Edited by Steve B.
added thought
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, Steve B. said:

Tell me how to determine the angle and I'll get it for you.

Steve B.

edit: maybe if I put it flat against a wall, and use a protractor thing might be a good way? My guess is around 95 degrees.

I wish I knew.  I've been told to use a protractor and straight edge.  The bracket guy said it should be between 90 - 102.  Your guess seems correct.  But if it is not, I'd have to send back the $350 brackets for new ones.  I did find a boat shop that will measure for me next week if I take my boat there.  I may just do that.  

I don't understand how and why Malibu doesn't keep records for their older boats.  But more frustrating is that I (the owner) have to go out and search for parts.  I thought the boat shop does that for you!!!  

Once I find out the rise for the brackets, I can order and hopefully get the shop to install new platform by this summer. 

@Steve B.

I wish I knew.  I've been told to use a protractor and straight edge.  The bracket guy said it should be between 90 - 102.  Your guess seems correct.  But if it is not, I'd have to send back the $350 brackets for new ones.  I did find a boat shop that will measure for me next week if I take my boat there.  I may just do that.  

LakePowellglass

I have an 03 23 LSV wakesetter, I always remove the platform for winter, and store in garage. I could take photos/measurements/or whatever else you might need? The brackets in the photo above look nothing like the ones on mine, I believe mine are the factory ones.  Let me know..

19 hours ago, Sunlove said:

I don't understand how and why Malibu doesn't keep records for their older boats.  But more frustrating is that I (the owner) have to go out and search for parts.  I thought the boat shop does that for you!!!  

Once I find out the rise for the brackets, I can order and hopefully get the shop to install new platform by this summer. 

I suspect that Malibu may be busy trying to build new boats so that they can continue to earn revenue, and even if they save old information like that it might be very hard for them to retrieve. 

You didn't specify what Sunsetter you have, but I strongly suspect that all of the transom angles are the same for that series of hulls.  I measured the photo you posted above and got 101 degrees.  I measured my 1999 Sunsetter LX and got 101 degrees.  The platform on mine is parallel to the outer chine, so you should be able to measure yours from the chine to the bracket pad on the transom.  I'm guessing it will be 101 degrees.

spacer.png

Thank you for the picture!!!  I actually called a shop in town and begged them to PLEASE help me measure the rise angle.  I was asked to bring my boat in and they did measure.  Transom is 16 degrees and the area where the transom exits is 12 degrees.  I sure hope this makes sense to the shop that will add brackets to the teak platform and install.  

Thank you all who tried to help me figure out the rise for my 2003 Sunsetter XTi Boat.  I was able to get the angle rise for the platform.  Transom angle is 16!!!  

If anyone needs to replace their swim platform and your bracket person asks for the angle rise - here it is! 16 degrees.