Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Smaller wake. How much does the wake surf board matter?

Bonty888

Have a direct drive sun setter. Have ballast and shaper but still the wake is not like a v drive wake. As I am new to wake surfing, does one type of board do better on smaller wakes than others? Anyone in a similar situation have a board they would recommend? I weigh 180 pounds. Thank you

Edited by Bonty888
11 minutes ago, Bonty888 said:

Have a direct drive sun setter. Have ballast and shaper but still the wake is not like a v drive wake. As I am new to wake surfing, does one type of board do better on smaller wakes than others? Anyone in a similar situation have a board they would recommend? I weigh 180 pounds. Thank you

Hey Bonty888,

For smaller waves you should consider a faster board because there will be less "push" in a small wave. So, most boards with 3 fins and the lighter the better without breaking the bank. A way to go is to work with your local dealer and see if they will let you try 1 or 2 boards. 

Enjoy,

Chris

It makes all the difference.  The board shapes to look for are ones with rails that are a more parallel. You will generally find parallel rail outlines on boards with a blunt nose and wide blunt tails.  Wider tails allow the rails to be parallel but also keep more board volume under foot which also helps with speed.  The draw back and the reason not all boards have this shape is because it limits manuverabilty a bit as more of the boards rail is actively engaged with the wave face.   

The VooDoo by Soulcraft is a great example of this type of shape. We have been selling a lot of these to people with smaller waves or just like going fast and boosting. 

16155855988991118955780895270304.jpg

Edited by vanamp

Ok,  I thought different boards would suite different riding styles but not wakes necessarily. Good info. to know. That Soulcraft looks great! I want to demo but the nearest shop is an hour away. Looks like I'll be making the drive a few times.