Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Regarding Recommended Dealer Maintenance


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Just got my spring maintenance forms from dealer on a 2019 23 LSV.  I have about 110 hours on the boat.

Dealer is recommending a tune up for $509.00 and change fuel filters for $99.00.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on whether these are dealer money grabs.

Seems like 110 hours is kind of early to need a tune up.

CM

Link to post

plugs and wires every 100 miles to me is a rip off.  its what my dealer did to me on a ‘14 twice, to me the plugs are to make sure you can get them out.  i did myself my last plugs last year after a 550+ hours interval over 3 + years with no issues showing on the plugs and zero performance issues 

what does your manual say?

maybe the new motors may have a very small interval but i doubt it

Link to post

What engine does it have? The raptor calls for plugs at 300 hours and fuel filter at 300 as well. Did plugs on mine after one of the cylinders was misfiring at 320hrs  and fuel filter is getting done now at 375 as it was having some problems getting fuel on startup.  I would just change the fluids and worry about the rest next season. 

Link to post

Sorry, I have the PCM 410 Engine.  It was an early build, before the M5 / M6 motors were in the 2019s.  I looked online on Malibu site and their maintenance intervals are for the M5/M6, it does say replace plugs every two years.  Unfortunately, the manual is on the boat in storage.

Link to post
1 hour ago, cmargosi said:

Hi All,

Just got my spring maintenance forms from dealer on a 2019 23 LSV.  I have about 110 hours on the boat.

Dealer is recommending a tune up for $509.00 and change fuel filters for $99.00.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on whether these are dealer money grabs.

Seems like 110 hours is kind of early to need a tune up.

CM

Can you elaborate on your dealer's definition of tune up?  I can easily see a dealer using that term to really mean a complete service including impeller, fluids, plugs, cap, etc, in which case $509 seems somewhat reasonable (but I do my own).  If tune up is being used in the traditional sense, yeah that seems high.

Link to post

Barefoot, I'm checking on that and waiting for an answer.  Their price list shows changing impeller as a separate line item...so I'm guessing that's not included, but waiting to hear back.

Link to post

Tune up is:

 

changing plugs, cleaning air filter, cap and roto.  Cost is $509....seems pricey but waiting to hear from Malibu on recommended intervals.

Link to post
1 hour ago, cmargosi said:

Tune up is:

 

changing plugs, cleaning air filter, cap and roto.  Cost is $509....seems pricey but waiting to hear from Malibu on recommended intervals.

cap and rotor on a new boat!?!?!?!?

maybe wires you dont need, but cap and rotor is insane!

Link to post
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I can't imagine why the plugs would need to be changed already. Heck, even *I* can do that basic maintenance (cap, rotor, filter for sure).

but would you on a new boat?

Link to post

FYI the Raptor plugs should be done every 150 hours.  I did mine, 16 plugs and was very straight forward. Dealer indicated that they are seeing plugs go bad and several incidents where plugs broke off as part of the removal process so I went ahead. I saved $350 doing it myself

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Why would it matter if new or old?

i dont understand “fixing” a boat that's not broke, and this service interval is slightly ridiculous , i had my dealer recommend to me twice plugs and wires that i agreed to at 100 and 200 hours, those same 3rd set of Indmar plug wires is still in the boat at 1000 hours

if the pcm or malibu engine manual calls for it then great but i think i can guarantee it has an early interval for plugs , not wires, cap or rotors 

Link to post
20 hours ago, cmargosi said:

Sorry, I have the PCM 410 Engine.  It was an early build, before the M5 / M6 motors were in the 2019s.  I looked online on Malibu site and their maintenance intervals are for the M5/M6, it does say replace plugs every two years.  Unfortunately, the manual is on the boat in storage.

you need to look up a 2019 PCM 410 engine manual, the guys on here quoting raptor intervals are looking at their Indmar manuals 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

i dont understand “fixing” a boat that's not broke, and this service interval is slightly ridiculous , i had my dealer recommend to me twice plugs and wires that i agreed to at 100 and 200 hours, those same 3rd set of Indmar plug wires is still in the boat at 1000 hours

if the pcm or malibu engine manual calls for it then great but i think i can guarantee it has an early interval for plugs , not wires, cap or rotors 

Ah... I get your drift now.  Agreed.  RTFM like Dad used to say. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

IMO anything the dealer does is a money grab... but you have to protect your warranty! IIWM, and I had the skills/tools I would follow the recommended intervals for what I could service and take it in for everything else. That isn’t the case for everyone or very many at all according to my dealer. Not a knock, just some people weren’t taught or didn’t get the maintenance exposure. The inside of the fuel tank was spotless on my 2010 after 1024 hours. Not understanding replacing the fuel filter. Maybe check it. Same for the original plugs, although I did clean and regap them to spec’s on my ‘10. Plug wires are sketchy car or boat. Had the OEM on the 2010 when I sold her and warranty replaced 2 @ 16 hours on my ‘19. $500 once a year will CYA in the long run if you are not comfortable with DIY. I would have them explain check vs. replace before you commit. If they are checking everything and  servicing oil and filter, $500 would be in the ballpark for the $150 an hour shop fee my dealer chargers. JM2C Bill.

Link to post

R077019 Spin-On Fuel Filter - Replace

Fuel Control Cell Fuel Filter - Replace

every 50 hours or annually, 

now this surprises me but it is the recommendation

Link to post
3 hours ago, wdr said:

anything the dealer does is a money grab... but you have to protect your warranty!

Perhaps, but you DO NOT have to have the dealer perform any service to maintain your warranty status.  But the work must be done and if there is an issue, documented.

Link to post
1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Perhaps, but you DO NOT have to have the dealer perform any service to maintain your warranty status.  But the work must be done and if there is an issue, documented.

True statement. I keep every receipt for the boat whether it is maintenance related or I am buying wax for it. It looks good for me and feels good for the second owner when it comes time to sell!💲💲💲

Link to post

if the gas going in your boat is that same gas going in your car, can someone explain the incredibly short intervals for replacing the fuel filter?  I'm genuinely asking.  There are cars on the road with 100K plus miles that are on original fuel filters.  Hell, my Jeep had 180K on it when i sold it and it never got a filter change......but thats also partly because it didnt have one that was serviceable (filter was part of the in-tank system).

  • Like 1
Link to post
21 minutes ago, Texan32 said:

if the gas going in your boat is that same gas going in your car, can someone explain the incredibly short intervals for replacing the fuel filter?  I'm genuinely asking.  There are cars on the road with 100K plus miles that are on original fuel filters.  Hell, my Jeep had 180K on it when i sold it and it never got a filter change......but thats also partly because it didnt have one that was serviceable (filter was part of the in-tank system).

the in tank fuel filter is a zero service item in my ‘14, i dont get it either

Link to post
1 hour ago, Texan32 said:

if the gas going in your boat is that same gas going in your car, can someone explain the incredibly short intervals for replacing the fuel filter?  I'm genuinely asking.  There are cars on the road with 100K plus miles that are on original fuel filters.  Hell, my Jeep had 180K on it when i sold it and it never got a filter change......but thats also partly because it didnt have one that was serviceable (filter was part of the in-tank system).

Te only plausible explanation is that marina gas might be dirtier than  street gas.  In my boat it is a cheap item, and I should replace it annually although I usually do not.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...