Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge install on 99 vlx

Ullose272

45 minutes ago, Ullose272 said:

Ive got a new floating wedge and bracket coming for my 99 sunsetter vlx. And tips on drilling through the hull?

First, don't miss.  Measure twice, cut once is a good rule.  Beyond that, you might try a step drill as a pilot drill and to chamfer the hole at the gel coat.  If you just jump in with a full size drill, the gel will chip.  This isn't the worst thing in the world, but it is easy enough to prevent.

Use 5000 series sealant and make sure that you have good coverage to get the holes sealed.

I suspect that you may want to check the inside of the hull to make sure that you have the extra transom thickness, and to ensure that the surface is smooth enough to accept the backing plate.

4 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

It's also best to run your drill in "reverse" or counter clockwise when drilling fiberglass. 

For the chamfering part. Otherwise it is slow going.  Real slow.  One can also buy a special chamfer bit.

@Eagleboy99When I installed a tower on our XTi my bit would eat big time in reverse. Used it that way the whole time. Might be because I was using it in USA air vs your Canadian air? :Tease3:

Edited by BlindSquirrel
1 hour ago, justgary said:

First, don't miss.  Measure twice, cut once is a good rule.  Beyond that, you might try a step drill as a pilot drill and to chamfer the hole at the gel coat.  If you just jump in with a full size drill, the gel will chip.  This isn't the worst thing in the world, but it is easy enough to prevent.

Use 5000 series sealant and make sure that you have good coverage to get the holes sealed.

I suspect that you may want to check the inside of the hull to make sure that you have the extra transom thickness, and to ensure that the surface is smooth enough to accept the backing plate.

It is my understanding that all the sv23 hulls were made for the wedge?

1 hour ago, Ullose272 said:

It is my understanding that all the sv23 hulls were made for the wedge?

I still think it is a good idea to look inside before you drill.  You should see a thicker area where the wedge goes.  Use an angle grinder to level the surface if you see any big boogers sticking up.  You don't want all of the force on one little spike. 

I remember drilling a hole in our new laminate floor to install a dishwasher (basement ceiling hookup).  Measured about 10 times and then drilled a very small pilot hole  Scary AF because a miss would have been a mess to fix.