Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High altitude prop vs standard prop

Anyone have any thoughts about the high altitude prop vs the standard prop on a 23LSV?  I have a boat on order with the M5 engine and use the boat at sea level mostly for cruising.  I feel like I'd like to be able to go for a longer ride and not have the engine wound up at 25 mph riding speed.  But how does the standard prop do when you want to surf?

Thanks

Can’t help you on an M5....

I have the M6 with the standard prop and torque prop and prefer the standard at local altitude, 300-400 ft.  The torque prop, altitude prop, was not necessary at 2000 ft with 6+ adults, ballast etc for surfing or wakeboarding on my 2020 WS LSV.  I like it as a spare.  We will be going to 3500 feet plus and will try it at those elevations.

M5 is going to struggle with the 23 LSV at all elevations.  No disrespect, but I would never buy the 23 LSV with the M5. Don't get me wrong, the 5.3l GM GDI engine is a fantastic little v8 .  We had a Monsoon 350 in our 2013 23 LSV and it struggled big time.  I don't think there is a need for a torque/high altitude prop on the M6.   We live at 4000' and boat anywhere between 3500 and 6500.  Spent a week in Tahoe last summer and never noticed a decline in power.  We have the M6 and have never had a problem with getting up to our desired speeds.  Usually have 4-8 people in the boat full ballast and never had a problem.  

Have you demoed the M5?  Hopefully you demoed a boat that cost south of 100+ before ordering it!   

Not an apples to apples comparison on a 20/21 LSV M5 with  2:1 and a 17” prop. And my ‘19 23 LSV with the M5, 1.76:1 VD ratio and the “HA prop” the 2773, 15 x 13. At 380’ ASL, I pretty much live in the 3500-3800 rpm range regardless of what I am doing. 3550 sees me doing 25 mph cruising and 3800ish sees me surfing at 11.2 mph with full MLS and pnp and an 850 in the bow with max wedge. I am sitting @ 4000 rpm wake boarding which might be once a year. I don’t have a problem getting on the plane and don’t notice any cavitation except when wake boarding. If you have the 2:1 and the 17” prop, IIWM, I would definitely stay with the factory prop, use it for a season and then decide about reproping. I know for a fact that if I was wake board centric I would be disappointed with my M5 “as it is equipped” and don’t think a reprop could fix the short coming. JM2C Bill

Edited by wdr
Sp
  • Like 1