Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mailbu new boat build delays?

Ty25

We placed our build slot deposit and ordered a 21 A24 on 10/8 with the understanding production was slated for end of Feb/early March. We recently received a soft confirmation of early May production but actual date has not been confirmed. Dealer mentioned his rep would be following up with next batch of build dates this upcoming Friday. Fingers crossed we're in that group. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 6:36 AM, gswatkins said:

I ordered back in early January and still waiting for my spray date. 

Have you heard anything yet? Ordered mine early January as well and have not received a date. This resin shortage is getting worse by the day. 

43 minutes ago, rpete said:

Have you heard anything yet? Ordered mine early January as well and have not received a date. This resin shortage is getting worse by the day. 

Was told last week my build would be 6/3. From talking with my dealer, it sounded like the factory was being very careful about managing an achievable schedule. They also cautioned that this date could move if there were any additional supply chain issues.

This puts our delivery right up against the end of the school year when we plan to move to the lake for the summer so really hoping this holds.

I heard there were other orders placed shortly after mine that weren’t so lucky and got pushed out to 2022 models much later in the summer.

Edited by gswatkins

This might be old news to everyone but I thought I'd share.

My order for a 23 LSV was placed Feb 13th and I never did get a spray date but was given a rough estimate of delivery around late June or early July.  It wasn't ideal, but given the situation at the time I was glad to lose a month of boating in order to get one ordered since I had already sold my previous boat.

I just got a call from my dealer and my boat build is still confirmed but it has been pushed to 2022 production with no concrete build date given.  I guess we have to resubmit the order May 1st, so it sounds like I'll most likely be sitting out this season.  When I asked about pricing he advised he is confident there won't be a price increase but that wasn't absolutely confirmed either. 

On one hand it'll be nice to get the 2022 model year, hopefully without the price hike that is looming, but I haven't been without a boat for a summer in 20 years.

• Sad 1
13 minutes ago, MTSurf said:

This might be old news to everyone but I thought I'd share.

My order for a 23 LSV was placed Feb 13th and I never did get a spray date but was given a rough estimate of delivery around late June or early July.  It wasn't ideal, but given the situation at the time I was glad to lose a month of boating in order to get one ordered since I had already sold my previous boat.

I just got a call from my dealer and my boat build is still confirmed but it has been pushed to 2022 production with no concrete build date given.  I guess we have to resubmit the order May 1st, so it sounds like I'll most likely be sitting out this season.  When I asked about pricing he advised he is confident there won't be a price increase but that wasn't absolutely confirmed either. 

On one hand it'll be nice to get the 2022 model year, hopefully without the price hike that is looming, but I haven't been without a boat for a summer in 20 years.

I think we are gonna see a price increase like we have never seen before. That is a bold promise made by your dealer. Tough situation for both parties.

I think it is plausible and even likely you get the 2021 price for a MY 2022 in this situation.  That is what happened to me last year with a different builder, but the factory honored a 2020 order price and gave me a MY 2021 in early July.  Fortunately I got to keep possession of my trade until time of delivery so it worked out well for me.  

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, MTSurf said:

Our dealer is doing this to those that are effected.  He was pretty firm in saying he wasn't passing along the 2022 pricing for someone that ordered a 2021 with proper notice.  Not sure who is covering the cost, dealer or Bu.

5 hours ago, gswatkins said:

Was told last week my build would be 6/3. From talking with my dealer, it sounded like the factory was being very careful about managing an achievable schedule. They also cautioned that this date could move if there were any additional supply chain issues.

This puts our delivery right up against the end of the school year when we plan to move to the lake for the summer so really hoping this holds.

I heard there were other orders placed shortly after mine that weren’t so lucky and got pushed out to 2022 models much later in the summer.

If it ends up being delayed, hit us up.  We are 100 feet from the Naples line on Sebago. 

Heck even if it isn't delayed, hit us up.  We usually roll in a couple days after the kids get out of school, which should be right around mid June.

15 minutes ago, asnowman said:

If it ends up being delayed, hit us up.  We are 100 feet from the Naples line on Sebago. 

Heck even if it isn't delayed, hit us up.  We usually roll in a couple days after the kids get out of school, which should be right around mid June.

That’s awesome. We’re on the Sebago side of Naples so you must be right across the cove from us. We just bought the house last fall so this will be our first year on the water. We should definitely sync up.

The dealer even mentioned a loaner might be possible based on the timing so feeling pretty good. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea this was even an issue until today. We placed our order for a 23 LSV on Oct 31 and still have a scheduled spray date of April 16th. My dealer filled me in on this delay topic today so hopefully things still happen this week and should know with certainty by next week.

I ordered an A24 axis on December 9th. Supposed to arrive 3/27 Just got off the phone with dealer and they said we have to wait till first week of March to see where they put the boat on schedule. They warned boats could be out till July but no further info. Anyone else heard this yet? The resin issue is what they are saying caused the massive backorder. They also said plenty of other fishing boat manufacturers are pushing months to 2 years out. Wish I would have kept my old centurion now a little longer 

Edited by Trev151

Retail orders are between the dealer and customer. When a dealer submits an order to Malibu, Malibu knows it’s an ‘end user’ if the dealer properly clicked the right box but Malibu has no clue who the actual retail customer is so there is no way they could contact you if they wanted to. 

Second, they have been keeping dealers updated daily/weekly, if you’re not getting communication, speak with your dealer. 

Third, if they were even able to update the retail customer (which they can’t as previously stated) then they would be updating you on an hourly basis as the global supply chain is more stressed than any other time in history. They will get a call about receiving a truck of materials only to have the truck never show up but then get 2 trucks of the wrong material when nothing was scheduled to begin with. They are at the mercy of a completely wrecked global system and would fill up your junk box with all the changes. It’s never been an issue before, but these are vastly unique times that are hard to understand if you’re not in manufacturing but issues that you cannot put solely on Malibu. This is affecting all industries world wide.   Try to order a GM SUV with a HD tow package. Not happening right now. 

• Like 3

I ordered in October with a guesstimated delivery of late Feb/early March. Got a spray date notification in late Feb of April 8, then April 17, then April 14.  Just got a call today that spray date is now May 11. I was given a chance to back out but didn’t take it. Guess I’m stuck now. 

7 hours ago, IXFE said:

Not to pile on, but @Brianborder makes some great points. Its always frustrating to wait for a toy we want, especially a boat when it’s almost summer. I’ve mentioned it before but TODAY got word from my Ford dealer that I won’t likely get my Bronco this summer (others are receiving build dates today).  I’m super bummed by that because I placed my reservation on Day 1 (almost a year ago) within two hours of the website opening up (and it only took me that long because it was crashing constantly). This is where having a business perspective (like posted above) helps us understand what’s happening and more importantly, what we should realistically expect... even if the consumer side of our brain feels frustration. 

Here’s another point of view that comes to my mind... I learned something about boating a long time ago that pretty much dictates my general approach to the hobby. Boating is a “chill” activity. As such, you have to “chill” and learn to take what the hobby gives you, recognizing it’s not always what you want. Some days you have to scrub an outing cuz the water is blown out (even though you cut off work early to get on the water). Some days you have to come in early cuz you see black clouds in the distance. Some days the wave isn’t as dialed as you like. Some days you swear you hear some background noise in your stereo. Some days gas prices are $5/gallon on the lake. Sometimes it rains at Shasta in the summer! This was a hard lesson for me to learn as I have a “type a” personality. But it’s been kinda liberating to just go limp and let the hobby come to you. This supply chain issue is no different. Trust the good people at Malibu; they will build your boat as soon as they can! 

:werule:

@IXFEyou nailed it. Its a hobby we all enjoy but yet need to adjust to the terms in hand. Thanks for the insight on this craziness going on with today's delays. 

My build got bumped from April 7th to the 27th, now to May 7th locked in for now. I'm thankful to have May as my date as of now for my spray date. Summer is coming and fingers are crossed. 

Edited by Ty25
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@IXFE....spilling the gospel as usual.  

You are 100% correct on your lesson about boating being a chill activity.  We have 3 boats in our family.  All with the same intent......chill.  Sometimes, we don't do what we want to do, but simply being on the water is chill.  Cold evenings....to cold to enjoy being in the water like early spring or late fall.....we take the pontoon out for dinner / sunset cruises.  It's super chill.  I also appreciate your comment about "the good people" at Malibu.  As consumers, we want to lay blame everywhere we can, but the experience everyone is having with respect to build delays is completely out of the hands of said good people.

As always, I appreciate the clarity you bring..........Now, how about some more tips tricks on that new OS in our boats, eh??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all above... I am in the residential construction industry, and their are delays across the entire supply chain for anything involved in building a house... Right now it is difficult to get OSB (plywood) and many other items also due to the resins... And prices are more than double anything that I have ever seen with no end in sight... Trying to get builder grade vinyl windows do not even get me started... There is an 8-10 week lead time and then they aren't meeting those dates... Builders call every day and ask when they are going to get their windows installed... My answer is as soon as we receive them and can unload the truck and get them delivered... We have houses that we framed (granted windows were ordered weeks before starting framing) and now the houses are going into trim and still do not have windows. 

• Like 2
On 4/15/2021 at 9:45 PM, 98buphon said:

I ordered in October with a guesstimated delivery of late Feb/early March. Got a spray date notification in late Feb of April 8, then April 17, then April 14.  Just got a call today that spray date is now May 11. I was given a chance to back out but didn’t take it. Guess I’m stuck now. 

Sorry for my ignorance what is a spray date...