Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mailbu new boat build delays?

Ty25

Curious to see if anyone is having any issues with their build spot being delayed or pushed out. I've heard the Texas plant for raws was running behind and going to affect Malibu for receiving materials for boat builds. 

Yeah I ordered back in November and still don"t have a spray date. Just got off the phone with the guy I sold my old boat to (they are taking it out tomorrow and wanted to go over stuff) but he works in the automotive industry and said the resin shortage is huge. They have enough supply for little over a week, then he will likely be laid off. So that has me more concerned that this resin deal could be bigger than they are letting on.  

1 hour ago, Badger10 said:

If I have a spray date in late April should I feel better or are people thinking all bets are off? 

When did you order vs when did you get that spray date? is the boat one that the dealer already had ordered?

I ordered a 25 LSV 10/22.  I have a “soft” spray date of late April according to my dealer.  I seem to be one of the oldest orders that still doesn’t have a firm spray date.  I’m told that I should have a firm date by the end of March.  We will see.  

many 2021s in order are going to be hitting the break point timing  of the 2022 line I suspect.  I’m glad I still have my current boat as I don’t have much faith at the moment on a delivery date I can count on. 

3 hours ago, Riverjunkie said:

Yeah I ordered back in November and still don"t have a spray date. Just got off the phone with the guy I sold my old boat to (they are taking it out tomorrow and wanted to go over stuff) but he works in the automotive industry and said the resin shortage is huge. They have enough supply for little over a week, then he will likely be laid off. So that has me more concerned that this resin deal could be bigger than they are letting on.  

Exactly ..tip of there iceberg.. 

Resin thing is far bigger than the lil TX incident

I custom ordered a 2021 25 LSV on 10/30/20.  Two months later I received a spray date of 3/16/2021.  A couple of weeks ago that spray date was bumped by two days to 3/18/2021.  Fingers-crossed.

17 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Raw and supplied material is a factor for all manufactures in any type of manufacturing right now. For Malibu specifically, you guys are missing the biggest factor. Boat sales have been higher than ever since April/May ish last year. There is little to no used inventory so everyone is ordering new boats. The biggest factor is those ordered boats and how it relates to how many build slots your dealer has per year, and how many orders were in before you. It is going to vary, and sometimes A LOT from dealer to dealer. Some people may be seeing a 4-5 month timeframe from order confirmation to spray date and some maybe seeing 6-7 months. If you ordered late last year and your dealer was already pretty much sold out, I hate to say it but you have a very long wait regardless of raw and supplied material. And yes, they should have been transparent with you.

This is what my local dealer sales guy just said to me. He said the resin is/was an issue but volume of sales simply outpaces production. 

Steve B.

11 hours ago, geogilbert said:

I ordered on Dec 18th. And just today got a confirmation that I should have it in hand mid May. 

what dealer? I ordered in early December and do not have any dates.

So I did sell my last boat in June last year through the dealer and put down a deposit for the build slot. But confirmed the specs and finalized build Dec 18th. 

I went to the boat show yesterday. I talked to our local Centurion and Nautique dealer. He said they have sold every boat they have ordered since April of last year.  He said he had to ask his customers who bought the 2021 boats if he could use their boats in the boat show just to have boats on the floor at the show.  Yes the parts shortage is a problem, but the demand for new boats far outpaces parts shortages.  I wanted a 24 MXZ this year and planned for my buddy to buy my boat.  We agreed on a price, I told him I need to make sure I can get the boat I want.  

Well after talking to my dealer he was very upfront and said I am too late and getting a boat by this summer would be really tough. The wife and I haven't been without a boat in almost 20 years, so we decided to keep ours and wait to see what happens next year.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, dwc032 said:

We agreed on a price, I told him I need to make sure I can get the boat I want.  

Have you given him the bad news yet? I’d be pretty bummed. 

5 hours ago, gswatkins said:

Have you given him the bad news yet? I’d be pretty bummed. 

Nope, he's my best friend, I just left him hanging.......of course I told him. He knew that was the deal, I had to make sure I could secure a new boat before selling mine. 

I ordered an a24 last week of October and no date yet 

I was told I’d hear end of this week about the build date . But I’ve been told that by the dealer who was told that by the rep for a month . I was once worried I’d have to take delivery in the snow in February, now I’m worried it will go into June or beyond. My dealer has about 50 A24’s sold and I’m one of the earliest on the list . I sold my boat in October thinking I had plenty of time . Who knew 

It is crazy how inconsistent it is.  We ordered our 23 LSV November 20th and our dealer said he thought the spray date would be the last 2 weeks of March.  I called him last week because of this thread and it had already been shipped to them and they are prepping it for us.

• Like 2

So, just talked to an anonymous buddy in the know. There appears to be a lot more than first in first out when it comes to new boat orders. Not that I understand exactly what the criteria is but they do batch up boats be dealer and type. So order date alone is not always a good indicator. 

Edited by geogilbert
  • Like 2

I just spoke to my dealer. I ordered late last year, with a build slot of April. As of today, no spray date locked in yet, supposedly Mailbu is working on confirming spray dates for April here this week. I have a April 27th slot, hopefully turns into a locked spray date here this week. The dealer did mention 10 slots from April have been pushed out to May so far.  

It makes sense that they would build boats based on where the truckload is going.  A dealer getting an entire truckload should get them all built at the same time.  A dealer getting one boat probably has to wait until the truck will be in the area.

ahopkins22LSV

It also makes sense that they build boats in batches. Keeps the production similar and then a change over to different style models. If you visit the factory multiple days over a few years or the same year you will most likely see days that mostly axis are going down the line or mostly response and smaller boats or mostly mxz’s.