Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for the lowdown on Bass Lake, CA for family trip

Lance B. Johnson

Lance B. Johnson

Hello all,

We are going to be staying very close to Bass Lake, CA in July.  It is a long tow for us so we are trying to figure out if it is worth it to take the boat.  Anyone care to share what they know about the lake?  Is it a good watersports lake or does it get blown out?  There are ton of rentals on the lake, is it CHAOS?  Where is the best place to reserve a slip?  ETC, ETC.  

It’s a smaller lake and popular so definitely gets very busy.  ...but you can always find quieter times in the morning and at night.  I think the key is to be in a place where your boat is docked so you can run in and out easily.  We have been there a few times and always stay at the Pines Resort.  They have a marina and you can keep your boat docked there for a fee.  They have two bedroom cabins right near the water, a pool, a snackbar, beach, game room, pizza place, store, etc.  All of that with convenience of being right on the lake is why we go back.  ...and Yosemite is pretty close!

• Like 1
Lance B. Johnson

Hey thanks!  We won't have it quite that nice.  My wife's family has had a worldmark membership for a long time so we will be at the Worldmark.  But if we can get early morning/ evening sessions in it could still be worth it.

If you are hauling the boat far(more than 2 hours) I would not take it.  It is a very crowded lake and quite frankly it is the first lake I have ever been on that has one way traffic.  It was really weird and boat after boat.  We were there in July and I rented a boat.  Did not stay out long as it was crazy.  I found more relaxing times hiking around the area and dinner at some great restaurants in Oakhurst.  Yoesemite was also nice but a little crowded. You can find some trails off the beaten path pretty easy.  Frosty is right about some possible quiet times, but you would have to stay in a place very close or on the water to make that worth it and easy.  I am all about easy and don't like the idea of when my rider drops they are going to get run over.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

Hello all,

We are going to be staying very close to Bass Lake, CA in July.  It is a long tow for us so we are trying to figure out if it is worth it to take the boat.  Anyone care to share what they know about the lake?  Is it a good watersports lake or does it get blown out?  There are ton of rentals on the lake, is it CHAOS?  Where is the best place to reserve a slip?  ETC, ETC.  

I have never been, but looked into it at one time.  It would appear to be 100% chaos all the time.  bazillion boats on a little tiny lake.  IIRC it's fishermen only till like 10 a.m. and then it's like a formula 1 start with everyone jumping in and tearing up the lake.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I have never been, but looked into it at one time.  It would appear to be 100% chaos all the time.  bazillion boats on a little tiny lake.  IIRC it's fishermen only till like 10 a.m. and then it's like a formula 1 start with everyone jumping in and tearing up the lake.  

Yikes, while I am definitely partial to real F1 starts, reading this already gives me heartburn and I'm not even there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been there a couple times. It is a directional lake and sucks to pick up downed riders. And the lake is stupid busy.  If your coming from Oregon, like we do every year we go to Trinity.  We rent a VRBO in Trinity Center and pull the boat out every day. The lake is massive, 82-85 degrees and a total blast. We love it there.  

• Like 2
Lance B. Johnson

Thanks for saving me a massive headache everyone.  I am pulling the plug on the option of taking the boat.  There is so much to do around there anyway.  Definitely taking the mountain bikes though!! 

• Like 3

Bass lake was the location site for the movie " The Great outdoors with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd.

If you have never seen this movie its worth renting. the water ski  stunts are great  LOL 

This should give you an Idea of the size of the lake.

My Brother had a cabin here in the 70's It was nuts then, I can't imagine what its like know.

8 minutes ago, Rack said:

Bass lake was the location site for the movie " The Great outdoors with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd.

If you have never seen this movie its worth renting. the water ski  stunts are great  LOL 

This should give you an Idea of the size of the lake.

My Brother had a cabin here in the 70's It was nuts then, I can't imagine what its like know.

Yep one of my favorite movies!!