Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Options

For those that have built and purchased new boats, were there things that you ordered on the boat that you wish you had or hadn’t? Things you could have done without or wish you would have done right from the beginning. Trying to weed out the options that aren’t necessary. Thanks! 

IME, both of the cameras have been a waste of money. Even if they had a non delayed immediate real time view I would still consider them a gimmick. I didn’t get the rear transom remote and don’t regret that. Only ordered the 2 core/vent heater, but 3 would of been a minor increase but no regrets so far. The biggest change I would of avoid in the future would be the black hull for the interior and the grey SeaDek neither of which hide any scuffs, wear or dirt, especially on the trailer. Otherwise my build had most of the blocks checked. 

• Like 2

The Bimini $$$ with the sport pockets and board straps have been a pleasant surprise for the in between surf session storage especially for the rope. The board storage on top is kind of awkward with the fore storage location but doable.

Power lift seat, Bimini, trailer transom steps and heater are absolute must haves for us. I haven’t regretted ordering anything on our boats. I found the rear view camera on our 19 useful at times but not a must have. I did skip it on our 2020 to assist in making budget room for the power seat. 

I passed on the wake view seat, docking and swim deck lights to get the M6. Very happy I payed up for the M6 and I figured I could always add the lights later. 

Power seat, swim step and heater are our must haves.

As for the rear camera we use it a ton and its not a high $ option.

Five Cent Worth
1 minute ago, dcarl said:

I think they updated in '20.  The '21 is 5X better than my '19.  

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, dcarl said:

I passed on the wake view seat, docking and swim deck lights to get the M6. Very happy I payed up for the M6 and I figured I could always add the lights later. 

Power seat, swim step and heater are our must haves.

Do you feel you use the swim step a lot? Never had one on any other boat. Kid gets up on the step fine without it in the past. Obviously would make it easier but not 3k easier lol. 

1 minute ago, bcf2003 said:

Do you feel you use the swim step a lot? Never had one on any other boat. Kid gets up on the step fine without it in the past. Obviously would make it easier but not 3k easier lol. 

We use it all the time.  Kids, elders, the ladies to do... you know.  At the sand bar its down all the time, way easier getting on and off.  I guess it really depends on how you'll use your boat if its worth the 3k. 

12 minutes ago, bcf2003 said:

Anyone have the fold down seat backs/steps? 

I don't, but wish i did.  they look amazing.  

I ordered the flip down swimstep this year but not the fold down wake view bench.

FWIW, the swim step is so popular that my dealer is ordering all their stock boats with it.

I skip the extra lighting, rear seat steps, transom remote, etc. and never miss them. The M6, clamping racks, power seat, 3 outlet heater and backup camera are all must haves for me. I also won’t do stock wheels since we have to trailer everywhere we boat.

• Like 3
Five Cent Worth
2 hours ago, bcf2003 said:

Do you feel you use the swim step a lot? 

We wouldn't buy another Bu without one.  

Five Cent Worth
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

FWIW, the swim step is so popular that my dealer is ordering all their stock boats with it.

Ours is the same.  I think they made this switch in all stock boats in '19 with the fold down swim platform.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, bcf2003 said:

For those that have built and purchased new boats, were there things that you ordered on the boat that you wish you had or hadn’t? Things you could have done without or wish you would have done right from the beginning. Trying to weed out the options that aren’t necessary. Thanks! 

57 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

i think these boats have so many now it really comes down to user preference and how you are going to use it. ( ex. someone like me who keeps their boat on a lift at the dock will have an entirely different  priority on options than someone who trailers their boat every time out) not just trailer with options but extra storage racks,  power seat, underwater lights dog bowl, are all very low on my priority list but I can see how they would be high on others.) it may sound dumb to some but if you have a current boat you are using you I would write down how you spend most of your time using it and base my list of options off that. ( its what I have done ) and I feel confident I will get most of the options i need right when I do pull the trigger again. But I  am sure there will still be some " wish I would have ordered this option"  ( i mean we always need a reason to upgrade right??? lol 

There are some great responses here, @bcf2003.  I would listen to each but do so in  the frame of mind of how you will use your boat.  @smuurph84 makes a great point about this.  For us, our boat lives on a hoist.  We do travel with it from time to time, but for the most part it's on a hoist.  As a result, docking lights are an absolute must have feature for us.  So we checked that box at order time.  We also checked the box for the power lift helm seat.  Without it, we felt the need to look at a seat riser like we did with our 20127 22 VLX.  We also get in the water early in the season and out mid to late fall.  The result there is checking the 3 outlet heater box.  We didn't get the flip down swim step.  While it's a great feature that I know many dealers order on nearly all their stock boats, we decided we don't need anything like that until we're in our 60's.  We did get the wakeview bench/table option because the kids love it, we like it, and the table is great when we're traveling with the boat.  I realized this several times traveling with our VLX how much I would appreciate that feature.  We didn't get the flip down steps because we didn't like the appearance in the boat with them.  Something just didn't look right to us so we opted out of that.  We did get the rear camera.  Not a necessary option, but we did check the box.  We decided on factory sound and went with 4 icon 8's on the tower.  It's good for us....we don't need to be the loudest on the water, but we like the sound and we like the look of 4 8" speakers on the tower.  Bimin with surf pockets is an absolute must have feature for us.  Clamping racks, after not having them but experiencing them on friends boats, is a must have for us.  The bungees get old after a minute.  Clamping racks are easier and more efficient.  M6 was an absolute must have feature for us as well.  Same with the transom lights.  At night, it's a great feature and we're often out well past dark. Trailer steps are a must have.  Bling on the trailer is not important for us.  Our trailer is stored in a pole barn and we consider it more of a tool than something we need to option out.  

Options are highly subjective and what's important to some lacks significance to others.  I can't stress enough the importance of considering every aspect of how you'll use the boat to determine what options you want.  Otherwise.....happy shopping.  Enjoy the lighter wallet........  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

There are some great responses here, @bcf2003.  I would listen to each but do so in  the frame of mind of how you will use your boat.  @smuurph84 makes a great point about this.  For us, our boat lives on a hoist.  We do travel with it from time to time, but for the most part it's on a hoist.  As a result, docking lights are an absolute must have feature for us.  So we checked that box at order time.  We also checked the box for the power lift helm seat.  Without it, we felt the need to look at a seat riser like we did with our 20127 22 VLX.  We also get in the water early in the season and out mid to late fall.  The result there is checking the 3 outlet heater box.  We didn't get the flip down swim step.  While it's a great feature that I know many dealers order on nearly all their stock boats, we decided we don't need anything like that until we're in our 60's.  We did get the wakeview bench/table option because the kids love it, we like it, and the table is great when we're traveling with the boat.  I realized this several times traveling with our VLX how much I would appreciate that feature.  We didn't get the flip down steps because we didn't like the appearance in the boat with them.  Something just didn't look right to us so we opted out of that.  We did get the rear camera.  Not a necessary option, but we did check the box.  We decided on factory sound and went with 4 icon 8's on the tower.  It's good for us....we don't need to be the loudest on the water, but we like the sound and we like the look of 4 8" speakers on the tower.  Bimin with surf pockets is an absolute must have feature for us.  Clamping racks, after not having them but experiencing them on friends boats, is a must have for us.  The bungees get old after a minute.  Clamping racks are easier and more efficient.  M6 was an absolute must have feature for us as well.  Same with the transom lights.  At night, it's a great feature and we're often out well past dark. Trailer steps are a must have.  Bling on the trailer is not important for us.  Our trailer is stored in a pole barn and we consider it more of a tool than something we need to option out.  

Options are highly subjective and what's important to some lacks significance to others.  I can't stress enough the importance of considering every aspect of how you'll use the boat to determine what options you want.  Otherwise.....happy shopping.  Enjoy the lighter wallet........  

Man what a response! Thanks for taking the time to write that. Yeah I’m going back and forth on the swim step right now. Don’t need the blinged out trailer. Had one and I’d rather have the extra rubber on the side walls than be curbing a rim if I accidentally misjudge a turn. 

Swim step was pricy, but worth every penny. We are the only boat in our crew that has it and everyone is desirous of it. Especially the wives! Base trailer here with no regrets. 

• Like 3
  • Swim step- a must, had it on our 19 and everyone young and old loved it. 
  • Bench seat-again, had it on our 19 and always used while surfing.  
  • Rear camera-used it quite a bit on our 19 so we got it again.  
  • Surf Bimini-got it, very useful. 
  • Transom Remote-had it on one of my previous boats and liked it so for the minimal cost got it again.
  • Power Helm Seat-got it! Had it on our 16’ and loved it.  19’ did not have it and we missed it.
  • Clamping racks-always.  Had bungee for a quick minute and said no way!
  • Heater-yup, comes in very handy early and late season in PA.
  • Tower mirror arm-much better then windshield mount

• Transom swim light-not this time.  Got it twice before and barley used it.
  • Docking lights-ditto...our marina is well lit so we skipped them this time.

We really like the stern thruster, especially when picking up or dialing in the boat to pull up new surfers.  It is expensive but came on our boat and we really love it!  Other must would be M6 for us as we boat at higher elevations.

• Like 2

Phender Pro, never thought I needed them but would not do without now. Front and rear cameras, I have rear and would not pay for it again. Heater, I installed myself with 3 pullouts, if boat don't have it I'm adding it. Power seat riser, got it and would probably pay for it again. Heated seat i would not pay for as on mine I added it for under $50.  Trailer rear step for me 100%.

• Like 2
On 2/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, bcf2003 said:

Do you feel you use the swim step a lot?

Don't have one as my boat is not new enough, but I wish I did. I've had some old people in my boat, and one guy that was recovering from shoulder surgery, that choose to stay in the boat because they didn't think they could get back in. I believe that step would be worth every penny if my late 70s mom or dad could enjoy the boat like everyone else does. 

On 2/9/2021 at 4:20 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

Ours is the same.  I think they made this switch in all stock boats in '19 with the fold down swim platform.  

I wouldn't buy one without the step now either after having it... Even if you rarely use it get it for resale alone. 

• Like 1

Anyone have any comments on tower speakers? I listened to the single set of rev 8s, and it sounded pretty decent. Anyone have this setup and is happy with it? Or have it and wish they would have gone bigger?

Edited by bcf2003