Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Factory Wetsounds Rev 10 Installation Help

NortherlyBoot88

NortherlyBoot88

So, I recently purchased 4 factory WS Rev 10s in the Malibu cans from my local dealer. I was surprised to find zero installation instructions whenever I opened the boxes (disclaimer, I installed my last set of tower speakers on the previous boat so understand the basics of wiring, using heat shrink butt connectors, etc.) I guess my question is, does anyone here have a diagram or instructions of where exactly they bolt up / how to use the flush plates provided in the packaging (two galvanized, two matte black per set) in conjunction with the factory stainless vertical mounts?

FYI, the boat is a 2017 23LSV with the G3.5 tower I believe.

Thanks in advance for any help here!

-Clint

30 minutes ago, NortherlyBoot88 said:

FYI, the boat is a 2017 23LSV with the G3.5 tower I believe.

This might be your hurdle. I do not believe there was a 10" pod OEM option in 2017. The 8" offerings bolted to the "shelf"

NortherlyBoot88

@MLA Not sure I understand. I pulled the factory shelves off which had the factory icon 8s. I bought the Rev 10s with 4 factory vertical mounts per the recommendation of my dealer. They will not be pods, but individually mounted vertically on the insides of the tower. 

4 minutes ago, NortherlyBoot88 said:

They will not be pods

Pod as in speaker can. You have 4 10" speaker pods. 

You are trying to install a factory option that was not a factory option in 2017. The shelves are what the OEM speaker pods mounted to on a G3. The shelf will not accommodate a 10 pod to my knowledge, not that I would want to bolt 40# of speakers to one anyway.  

You will need aftermarket G3 speaker adapters, and I do not know how any pre-drilled holes would work for the OEM Malibu pods. 

NortherlyBoot88

@MLA I’ll have to take a pic of the factory vertical mounts that my dealer recommended. They would essentially do the job of the WS adapter you’re mentioning. Which for the record, I am aware of what you’re describing there. 

And no, I no longer have the shelves, nor would I look to mount those 10s to something like that.

Edited by NortherlyBoot88
NortherlyBoot88

@Brandonloos21The speakers or the vertical mountains? Think the speakers were $599 a piece and the factory mounts were like an extra $15 or $20 a piece. All that before tax / shipping.

Brandonloos21
2 hours ago, NortherlyBoot88 said:

@Brandonloos21The speakers or the vertical mountains? Think the speakers were $599 a piece and the factory mounts were like an extra $15 or $20 a piece. All that before tax / shipping.

Oh wow that isn’t bad, I have heard they were 2k a set 

NortherlyBoot88

@Brandonloos21 I was nervous pricing them as I had heard they were really expensive too, but was pleasantly surprised. Not sure where you’re located but if you decide you want to go that route too and your local dealer tries to mark them up something crazy, then I recommend you call TNT Watersports of Hendersonville, TN. Ask to speak with a parts manager named Jeff. He’s the man and can hook you up with the same deal. I also know they can ship to home addresses as well as they offered that option to me.

• Like 1

All the installations for two pairs of Rev10 tower speakers on G3 towers that I have seen use this speaker adaptor that bolts to the inside of the tower on each side.

https://www.wetsounds.com/product/ADP-Malibu-G3-Dual-B

The wires from the first and second speakers on each side are connected in parallel (red to red, black to black).  Then the DSP amp just needs to be reprogrammed for the Rev10.

The factory absolutely offered Rev10’s on the G3.5 tower. They started in model year 2018. Here’s some pics from the 2018 23 LSV they showed at the launch (summer of 2017). 

As the G3.5 was launched the year before, I’m sure the factory Rev10’s will work on a 2017. I’d wager they would work on a G3 or G3.2 as well.

42F79140-3AD6-4FEC-83A6-D8002CD4D2A3.jpeg

753B57E5-C155-44F4-AD0A-24017BD9E6B8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

@csleaver and @IXFE Apparently the service manager ordered the wrong mounting hardware. I ended up having to get the adapters that you both mentioned. Could have probably bought the same things directly from WS and saved about $100 but was just over the whole situation. Lovely little turn of events in going from $50 in original mounting hardware to $400. Lol

On 2/10/2021 at 3:53 AM, IXFE said:

The factory absolutely offered Rev10’s on the G3.5 tower. They started in model year 2018. Here’s some pics from the 2018 23 LSV they showed at the launch (summer of 2017). 

As the G3.5 was launched the year before, I’m sure the factory Rev10’s will work on a 2017. I’d wager they would work on a G3 or G3.2 as well.

42F79140-3AD6-4FEC-83A6-D8002CD4D2A3.jpeg

753B57E5-C155-44F4-AD0A-24017BD9E6B8.jpeg

Did you use any type of thread lock to hang them? Also, where did you do the soldering to daisy chain the two speakers together (cans or in the tower tube) 

On 2/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, Brandonloos21 said:

Did you use any type of thread lock to hang them? Also, where did you do the soldering to daisy chain the two speakers together (cans or in the tower tube) 

I have run both aftermarket and factory Rev10’s. When I’ve had factory they were installed and wired at the factory on the Gx tower. 

When I have installed aftermarket myself, I used the dual mounting bracket that wetsounds sells for the G3 tower. It’s pretty sweet cuz there is a channel inside it where you can hide all your connections. 

I did not use thread lock to mount the brackets to the tower, mainly because I am usually too worried about needing to get back in there and troubleshoot something. 

The pics below are from two years ago when I installed four aftermarket Rev10’s my 2019 25 LSV w/ G3.5 tower. I’m not sure if this matches your application or not (or that of @NortherlyBoot88  

Something you will see that we haven’t talked about... on that boat I installed the swivel adapters (those are the wires you see that I pre-installed in the channels) and LED rings in the Rev10’s + a dedicated set of speaker wire to each pod (ie not parallel). So I had a lot of wire to stuff in there. As you can see I used duct tape as a second set of hands. 😜

84DFFCDD-C018-45FF-9C7F-4C87AB575C8B.thumb.jpeg.2b2a10a558f333528c28627f7d44a761.jpeg

60A035D9-521D-4A4F-80F7-1295BFE6CF5B.thumb.jpeg.7759d28320926adba94909cfbd1abf51.jpeg

E7F6A748-1488-4ABE-BFE9-B4C69B2E79E1.thumb.jpeg.ae5347fc2c727dcfe7968950dc50bf95.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 4