Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 Malibu Response-General advice, Boom + Pylon extender?

Slalomangel

Just purchased a 1997 Malibu Response, will use mainly for slalom skiing.
I'd love to hear any wisdom and advice from prior owners.
From reading through it sounds like it has the SV23 hull, not the diamond or diamond cut. 
I've read the hull changed the next year, 1998.
The boat is in amazing condition, gel coat is shiny and beautiful, teak platform looks new, one minor rope rub on the the back, original vinyl is perfect, garage kept and 306 hours on the original Mercruiser motor.
Does anyone have advice on booms for this boat?
Also, I'd like to know if you can add a pole to extend the length of the ski pylon on this boat like I've seen on Mastercraft boats to use it for the occasional wakeboarder.
Anyone selling a boom or extender that will fit this boat?

The only other boat I've owned is a 2002 Mastercraft ProStar 197 when my kids were smaller, so the extra room helped.

I'm looking forward to skiing again, summer is right around the corner!

Congrats on the new boat.  Sounds like she's a beaut!  Pics??  :)  I used to use the Barefoot International boom on mine. For footing and teaching folks to slalom.  I've seen extended pylons on that vintage of Response, but never used one.  Bes sure any attaching cables - and that goes for the barefoot one as well! - are properly adjust.  I am not sure exactly how the pylon is installed in your boat, but on mine it is essentially placed into a glass sleeve and bolted.  I would want to minimize and extra forces that the long lever arm of an extended pylon adds.

• Like 1

I use a barefoot international pylon and I was patient and found a used boom for the fraction of the cost of a new one.  But the barefoot international booms are the nice ones.

• Like 1

Where in FL are you located?
I have a ECI Skylon contour boom (leftover from my 2010 Response) that I would be willing to part with. It’s identical to this one and comes in original storage bag, has an extra kids handle attachment (smaller diameter) and is in great condition.
If that’s something for you, send me a private message.
I’m in Clermont.

Edited by Chaabo
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, solorex said:

I use a barefoot international pylon and I was patient and found a used boom for the fraction of the cost of a new one.  But the barefoot international booms are the nice ones.

I have the same and it works perfectly on my 99 response

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Slalomangel said:

Just purchased a 1997 Malibu Response, will use mainly for slalom skiing.
I'd love to hear any wisdom and advice from prior owners.
From reading through it sounds like it has the SV23 hull, not the diamond or diamond cut. 
I've read the hull changed the next year, 1998.
The boat is in amazing condition, gel coat is shiny and beautiful, teak platform looks new, one minor rope rub on the the back, original vinyl is perfect, garage kept and 306 hours on the original Mercruiser motor.
Does anyone have advice on booms for this boat?
Also, I'd like to know if you can add a pole to extend the length of the ski pylon on this boat like I've seen on Mastercraft boats to use it for the occasional wakeboarder.
Anyone selling a boom or extender that will fit this boat?

The only other boat I've owned is a 2002 Mastercraft ProStar 197 when my kids were smaller, so the extra room helped.

I'm looking forward to skiing again, summer is right around the corner!

Did you buy the one that was at waterski america in tx?  My wife just told me to go buy that one.... congrats if it is!

Ski partner has a 97, great boat.  He did have the floor redone under warranty for the depression issue.  You should have many years of enjoyment with it.  I use an Airboom, works great for footing, ratcheting forward strap with a fabric loop around the bow similar to most brands.  These boats have minimal side spray so boom out the side right behind the side window works great.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, asnowman said:

Did you buy the one that was at waterski america in tx?  My wife just told me to go buy that one.... congrats if it is!

I did! It is beautiful! Cannot wait, sold my ProStar back in 2011 in the divorce, and have been skiing when I get an invite only, not often enough, time to play again!
Oh, and I'm sorry I snagged it first, but I did hear you have one and getting a second, so...haha

14 hours ago, Woodski said:

Ski partner has a 97, great boat.  He did have the floor redone under warranty for the depression issue.  You should have many years of enjoyment with it.  I use an Airboom, works great for footing, ratcheting forward strap with a fabric loop around the bow similar to most brands.  These boats have minimal side spray so boom out the side right behind the side window works great.

Oh nice, good to hear from someone who has skied behind one! This one was garage kept and looks brand new, I can't figure out how to post pictures but I was amazed at the condition as it's 24 years old. 
Thank you for the advice I'll research the Airboom, happy skiing/footing!

17 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Hard to beat BI Fly-High and Boom setup!

I'll check it out! Thank you! Seems like that's the popular choice

5 minutes ago, Slalomangel said:

Oh, and I'm sorry I snagged it first, but I did hear you have one and getting a second, so...haha

Don't be sorry! Be Excited! We already have an 05 LXi and a 19 25 LSV that we keep at the lake house.  My wife just wants a closed bow to have handy at home, for the week night evening ski, if we aren't at the lake.  She got a little spoiled last year being able to ski after the work day all summer,  I think she has a problem.... 2 Bu's should be enough....

You are going to love it.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Congrats on the new boat.  Sounds like she's a beaut!  Pics??  :)  I used to use the Barefoot International boom on mine. For footing and teaching folks to slalom.  I've seen extended pylons on that vintage of Response, but never used one.  Bes sure any attaching cables - and that goes for the barefoot one as well! - are properly adjust.  I am not sure exactly how the pylon is installed in your boat, but on mine it is essentially placed into a glass sleeve and bolted.  I would want to minimize and extra forces that the long lever arm of an extended pylon adds.

Hi Eagleboy99, not sure how to post pictures on this forum, but I'd be happy to share! I'd be using it to teach and possibly for barefooting, had a mishap where the boom collapsed on me on a friends boat and wasn't too brave the rest of the day, but we'll see. I'll definitely make sure it is secure and installed properly! Thank you for the advice!

19 hours ago, Chaabo said:

Where in FL are you located?
I have a ECI Skylon contour boom (leftover from my 2010 Response) that I would be willing to part with. It’s identical to this one and comes in original storage bag, has an extra kids handle attachment (smaller diameter) and is in great condition.
If that’s something for you, send me a private message.
I’m in Clermont.

Congrats on the Response. 

I have the ECI boom and BI-Fly High extended Pylon on my Echelon (similar to Response).  The Echelon came from the prior owner with the BI boom that I gave to my brother for his 1999 response.  I liked the smaller connection point on the pylon for the ECI, but can't go wrong with either.  Like someone else said, tight cables are important for protecting the pylon. 

56 minutes ago, Slalomangel said:

not sure how to post pictures on this forum

Become a paying member of the site or use a third party pic hosting site like Imgbb or GDrive, etc.

I also have a BI boom and Fly High for my Sunsetter.  I don't really use the Fly High, but I keep thinking about trying it for footing some time.  The boom is useful for teaching nearly everything, and footing, of course.

4 minutes ago, Slalomangel said:

Beauty!  You might want to consider PerfectPass speed control.  Pretty easy to do in that year of boat.  Plus all your gauges are easy to replace, unlike touchscreens wiith their gossamer-thin film technology and crazy replacement costs.

• Like 1

Yes, I asked, they wanted $1000 to add PerfectPass, I had it on my MasterCraft ProStar and found it easy to use. I'm just happy to be able to ski anytime now, will definitely be adding the PerfectPass, Boom and Extender so I can teach others and have more options. I'll have to look into the gauges, I never thought to update them.

21 minutes ago, solorex said:

I replaced mine all with Livorsi gauges.  Turned out really nice.

Faria makes an awesome set with a GPS speedo; it's the ones that Ron Tanis uses for the MDC  transplant.  A full set is Under $300 USD.  Like https://www.boatersland.com/faria-cheaspeake-ss-white-6-gauge-set-with-gps-speedometer.html (but OOS there, but you get the idea).

• Like 2

We had a guy all set up and he bailed at the last minutes after I paid crazy $ to overnight the money to the dealer. We may just go pick it up ourselves at this point.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:39 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Faria makes an awesome set with a GPS speedo; it's the ones that Ron Tanis uses for the MDC  transplant.  A full set is Under $300 USD.  Like https://www.boatersland.com/faria-cheaspeake-ss-white-6-gauge-set-with-gps-speedometer.html (but OOS there, but you get the idea).

Yeah I actually only did the volts, fuel, oil pressure, temp in Livorsi.  The Livorsi GPS speedo is still ridiculously expensive for some reason... 

• Like 1