Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220 weight

Has anyone been able to get an actual weight on the M220? Malibu lists them at 6200lb and the 25LSV at 5600lb. I find it hard to believe that the M220 would outweigh a 25, but who knows. I sold our 2017 25LSV a year ago and that thing pretty much required a 3/4 or 1ton truck to pull it. Found on here that a member weighed his 25 and it was about 8700lb with the 3 axle trailer. Shortly after selling the boat, I picked up a new Ram 1500 3.0L diesel and was hoping it was big enough to tow the M220. The 1500 is rated to tow 9700lb, but I'll never do that to a 1500 chassis. I did tow my buddy's 2017 23LSV from LA to Phoenix and it did fine. Supposedly that year 23 weighs about 7000lb with the trailer. 

5 hours ago, gorilla said:

Has anyone been able to get an actual weight on the M220? Malibu lists them at 6200lb and the 25LSV at 5600lb. I find it hard to believe that the M220 would outweigh a 25, but who knows. I sold our 2017 25LSV a year ago and that thing pretty much required a 3/4 or 1ton truck to pull it. Found on here that a member weighed his 25 and it was about 8700lb with the 3 axle trailer. Shortly after selling the boat, I picked up a new Ram 1500 3.0L diesel and was hoping it was big enough to tow the M220. The 1500 is rated to tow 9700lb, but I'll never do that to a 1500 chassis. I did tow my buddy's 2017 23LSV from LA to Phoenix and it did fine. Supposedly that year 23 weighs about 7000lb with the trailer. 

The M220 might be 2 feet shorter but it has a much higher freeboard... so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is more than a 24MXZ.  Guessing 8000-8500 on the trailer ready to go to the lake?

56 minutes ago, gregtay said:

The M220 might be 2 feet shorter but it has a much higher freeboard... so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is more than a 24MXZ.  Guessing 8000-8500 on the trailer ready to go to the lake?

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing, around 8000lb. But, I'm hoping someone will be able to chime in with some more accurate info. A dealer out there somewhere might have weighed one and someone on TMC got wind of that info......

Getting ready to pick up a new 25LSV, by chance what did your 25LSV weight?  Trying to figure out what kind of truck or SUV I need. 

2 minutes ago, tex599 said:

Getting ready to pick up a new 25LSV, by chance what did your 25LSV weight?  Trying to figure out what kind of truck or SUV I need. 

Forget the SUV, you will need a 3/4 or 1ton truck. I didn't weigh mine, but as I said in my first post, another member did and they said 8700lb. So, I'm guessing that is pretty close to what mine would weigh in at. The 25 weight was noticeable behind my 4x4 Ram 3500, it would pull it down steep ramps if I did't have it in 4WD. 

1 hour ago, tex599 said:

My 2019 trailer has the upgraded wheels on the tandem. The 2016 Escalade tows it fine. I have the 4x4 for sketchy ramps. It’s in the upper right corner. But motoring around north Texas is easy enough. 

Edited by Slurpee
1 hour ago, gorilla said:

Forget the SUV, you will need a 3/4 or 1ton truck. I didn't weigh mine, but as I said in my first post, another member did and they said 8700lb. So, I'm guessing that is pretty close to what mine would weigh in at. The 25 weight was noticeable behind my 4x4 Ram 3500, it would pull it down steep ramps if I did't have it in 4WD. 

Exactly my experience.:biggrin: And mine is on triple 18's.

I actually started a slow slide in 2wd toward the dock and reacted quick enough to throw the truck in drive to save it. :shocked:

Edited by Sparky450

Thanks, I was looking at the Expedition Max with 4wd and the max tow option, which puts the towing capacity right over 9K pounds.  Not sure how well they tow versus a truck.

1 hour ago, tex599 said:

Thanks, I was looking at the Expedition Max with 4wd and the max tow option, which puts the towing capacity right over 9K pounds.  Not sure how well they tow versus a truck.

They don't tow as well as a HD truck.

A1126FDC-FEC6-4BB1-A9FC-F6E073F59CAD_1_201_a.jpeg

7FA49144-AD6F-4233-9728-3263056F6785_1_201_a.jpeg

1 hour ago, tex599 said:

My Ram 1500 diesel is rated for 9700lb and there’s no way I would have used it to tow my 25LSV. I personally think 8500lb would tax the truck pretty good, forget about trying 9700lb. The  23LSV I towed is right at 7000lb and it was noticeable, but the truck did pretty good though the hills north of LA. I guess if you live in a flat part of the country, you could get away with towing at close to max numbers. But here in AZ, there’s no way I can get to a couple of our lakes without going over a “pass” of some sort. The truck would be WOT going up those hills. 

At the end of the day, towing capacity overkill will make the experience 10x more comfortable and confident.  

Can you tow 8000lbs with a 9k rating?  yes.  Will it be more enjoyable with a truck rated at 12k?  Yes.  

You can't get them new, but the 3/4 ton suburban, or old Excursions are a good way to get real tow capacity in an SUV.

I've got a duramax swapped 3/4 ton suburban, and it does great.  Rated from the factory at 12k with a gas motor, the Dmax just makes it that much more enjoyable and efficient.  

1 hour ago, dhcomp said:

I've got a duramax swapped 3/4 ton suburban, and it does great

Sounds like an awesome rig! If they made a new 3/4 ton suburban off the 2500 silverado platform I would be all over that...

I don't have to worry about mountains, it's flat here.  I really only tow it only a couple of miles and maybe once a year on the highway for service. I'm thinking the expedition with max tow will be fine.  

3 hours ago, tex599 said:

I don't have to worry about mountains, it's flat here.  I really only tow it only a couple of miles and maybe once a year on the highway for service. I'm thinking the expedition with max tow will be fine.  

If that's the case, you'll probably be fine. Anyone that has to tow in the mountains will need a 3/4 or 1ton truck, as the weight and wind drag are noticeable. 

So.....anyone else have any info on the M220?

Hopefully Boulder Boats here in PHX will get one in stock soon and I can persuade them to weigh it......

On 2/10/2021 at 6:13 PM, tex599 said:

Tow my 25lsv several times a year but only 3hrs or so each way back and forth to dealer and 1.5hrs back and forth to another lake when needed. 

F150 plat, v6 3.5l ecoboost 10 speed trans with max tow pkg, does fine 70-75mph. If there is a 25+mph cross wind u will feel it! 

if I was in mountains then I'd step up to 250. Or if I was slammed with gear in bed and four + adults maybe 250.

If u get the tripple axil it will be much better as it's front wheel is shifted fwd a bit and reduces a lot of tounge weight which seems a bit excessive on the dual axil IMO. 

Waiting in the 27lsv so I have an excuse for the F250

I tow my 2018 23 lsv with my expedition max and it does really good. My Superduty does better, but if I’m taking over 5 people I take the expedition. I’ve taken it over mountain’s to Lake Coeur d’Alene, and to Lake Powell without any issues. In fact it does amazingly well, you do notice it back there. It is a little more sway prone then a big truck, but nothing unreasonable.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, tex599 said:

We use an Expedition Max as our tow vehicle. We have to go over an 8500’ mountain pass and loaded up with gear it the engine and transmission temps have never budged. Our family size requires an SUV and we love it!