Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with purchase

Hi, new here. I have browsed for a while. Looking for a Surf/Wake boat. We are life long boaters, and own two boats now. But this water sports specific boat is perplexing me. There is way too much information. Then when i find a boat, I look on here, and then there is just so much positive and bashing of that year or model, I get confused. I started with wanting to spend 40k-50k cash. But now i'm thinking 40k down, and take payments.  I am pretty picky when it comes to fit in finish, and I'll be honest, I have looked at all brands. I do prefer the Malibu's  for styling, and this is the way I'm hoping to go. But I have looked at MC, Tige, Centurion, ect. Right now I'm looking at two 23 LSV's one is a 2014 409 SS monsoon, with 90 hours, clean as can be. The other is a 2015 409 Monsoon with 530 hours, very clean, 74k and 79k respectively.  The 2014 has no trailer so I would have to buy one. There is such a wealth of info. Screen/electronics problems, engine positives and negatives. I just want a boat that will be fairly reliable, and easy to set up for surf/wakeboard. I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just want it to work. I don't mind general maintenance, and I'm very mechanical. But these electronic stories scare the hell out of me. Are they just exaggerated? Or do people really constantly have there boat in for service more than they use it. I feel like these are just squeaky wheels... Also, in this world if buying of a private owner, do folks get surveys, engine inspections, oil analysis? In my boat world, this is standard practice.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks, Dave

Not sure where you are in MI, but there are plenty of locations to go look at boats.  

With respect to problems, all boats have problems as you well know if you currently own two of them.  IIWM buying used, I'd be asking for a complete inspection and inspection report and private owners should be willing to do that for you.  Dealers should be the same.  If a private owner declines that, then I would walk, but that's me.  

If you really like the 23 LSV model, which is a fantastic boat, perhaps look a little newer.  There have been some good advancements in that model but I don't recall which year the changes were the most beneficial.  In the end, it all depends on how you plan on using the boat, where you plan on using it, and what you want out of it.  Best bet for you is to demo several then make a decision.  Of the manufacturers you mentioned, I'd be focusing my efforts everywhere but Tige'.  They make great boats, but there aren't many in MI and only one dealer in MI that I'm aware of.  I have a friend who has one and it's a nice boat, performs well, but I prefer the Malibu wave over the Tige's wave all day long.  I also have a good friend with a MC XT22.  Again, it's a great boat with a great wave, but I prefer the Malibu wave.  I have yet to get behind a Centurion, but hear nothing but good things.  I'd love to get some time in and behind one, but we only have one dealer in the state and they're in northern, MI which for me takes them out of the equation. 

You will hear people complain about the Raptor 410 engine.  It's a great engine.  It's louder than other offerings, but it's a great engine.  There were some issues in mostly 2017 models related to catalytic converters.  I had one and it was repaired in a few days under warranty.  Otherwise, it's solid, as are the other engine offerings.

This is a great community with great experience and resources, so I'm sure you'll get may comments.  

Good luck and keep this thread updated. 

@Slayerthanks for the reply. We are in Grosse pointe on Lake St. Clair. What are your thoughts on a demo Axis T23 2020? 100 hours with full warranty. Seems like if i jump 20 grand from those LSV's I get essentially a brand new boat... We plan to use this boat at are cottage on Lake St. Clair, get our feet wet with the sport. It will will be 10-12 kids mostly, and I'll jump on when I have another driver. I also want to be going first of spring. So demoing right now is out of the question. If we get really into it, we can trade up to exactly what we want. For the time being I want it to run and work when we get there each weekend, it's a short summer. I want to be good to go mid May. 

40 minutes ago, dquint05 said:

@Slayerthanks for the reply. We are in Grosse pointe on Lake St. Clair. What are your thoughts on a demo Axis T23 2020? 100 hours with full warranty. Seems like if i jump 20 grand from those LSV's I get essentially a brand new boat... We plan to use this boat at are cottage on Lake St. Clair, get our feet wet with the sport. It will will be 10-12 kids mostly, and I'll jump on when I have another driver. I also want to be going first of spring. So demoing right now is out of the question. If we get really into it, we can trade up to exactly what we want. For the time being I want it to run and work when we get there each weekend, it's a short summer. I want to be good to go mid May. 

No problem.  

I like the idea of a demo T23 with low hours like that because if you're buying a demo from the dealer you'll still get the full 5 year warranty which is transferrable once after the initial sale.  It would essentially be a new boat and would handle the crew of 10-12 easily.  A word of note however is if you're considering an axis be sure it has power wedge.  The floating wedge is fine, but the power wedge gives you more adjustment in wave tuning.  As long as you get the Axis at the right price and keep it well maintained, then you'll have no issue trading up for what you want.  We just went through the same thing going from a 2017 22VLS to ordering our 2021 23 LSV.  There are a few of us on here from MI, and most of those are in SE MI.