Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Grand Wagoneer

gregtay

Jeep finally revealed the final Grand Wagoneer today...  and I think it is going to be pretty awesome for boat duty.  10k towing, air susp (load leveling), bigger and heavier than the GM and Ford offerings (and length wise it fits between the GM/Ford long/short offerings.)  Comes with the 6.4L which is what I tow with in my Durango today, great motor for towing,. It is huge and heavy :) $110k fully loaded :-O... but I am sure in a year they will be $20k off of that price.

Good comparison of the big three (note this uses the entry "Wagoneer" which is more like the Tahoe trim, smaller motor, etc.: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/11/2022-jeep-wagoneer-comparison-ford-expedition-chevy-tahoe/

Edited by gregtay
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/11/2022-jeep-wagoneer-comparison-ford-expedition-chevy-tahoe/
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Jeep finally revealed the final Grand Wagoneer today...  and I think it is going to be pretty awesome for boat duty.  10k towing, air susp (load leveling), bigger and heavier than the GM and Ford offerings (and length wise it fits between the GM/Ford long/short offerings.)  Comes with the 6.4L which is what I tow with in my Durango today, great motor for towing,. It is huge and heavy :) $110k fully loaded :-O... but I am sure in a year they will be $20k off of that price.

Good comparison of the big three (note this uses the entry "Wagoneer" which is more like the Tahoe trim, smaller motor, etc.: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/11/2022-jeep-wagoneer-comparison-ford-expedition-chevy-tahoe/

Surprised they didn't go with a 10 speed tranny.

• Like 2

We have had a few Suburbans and Expeditions over the years as our tow vehicles of choice (current is a '16 Suburban).  I drove a 2021 Suburban a few weeks ago and really liked it, but my wife didn't.  I've never owned a Jeep/Dodge product before, but the Wagoneer could be a great option depending on where the pricing is with the options I want.  A suburban LT with Lux package (pano roof, trailer tow, etc) and 2nd row captains has a $66K sticker.  Curious to see what you get for $59.9K starting point in the new Jeep.  And how long before they are all over the lot with 10K off MSRP.  :-) Car and Driver said the baseline is much higher in content.

Color me intrigued.  I like this rig, quite a bit.  I'd like to get behind the wheel of one.  I've had an Expedition, but that was prior to the ecoboost offering.  It was great, but the backseat felt cramped compared to my F-150.  Again, that was the previous generation Expedition, so the new ones may be different and more comparable in rear seat space to the F-150.  I've never been a fan of the Suburban / Tahoe.  My experiences with them have not been positive with the exception of the no longer available 3/4 ton configuration.  

54 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I have, unfortunately.  Quality/reliability was off the charts - LOW.

As another data point:  We have a Jeep SRT and a Durango SRT.  Both have been flawless.  Dealer experience for service absolutely sucks because we only have old junky jeep/dodge dealers around us who won't spend a dime on new buildings/service/showroom, etc.  I just love the experience when I take one of the Audi's to the shop.  I have been to nice new JDR dealers in other cities and they are FAR nicer than what we have around us.

9 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Surprised they didn't go with a 10 speed tranny.

I have the ZF 8 speed in my Grand Cherokee and the 10 speed in my (wife’s) Expedition MAX. The 8 speed doesn’t really give up anything to the 10 speed. Both transmissions are excellent. 

5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I have, unfortunately.  Quality/reliability was off the charts - LOW.

I’ve had a number of Chrysler vehicles. I’ve been happy with the quality of all of them. 

Truth be told, MOPAR has treated me well enough that I’m very tempted to trade the Ex in. If it were my car it would be a done deal. 

I am a little disappointed that there isn’t a extended wheel base version. 

4 hours ago, gregtay said:

As another data point:  We have a Jeep SRT and a Durango SRT.  Both have been flawless.  Dealer experience for service absolutely sucks because we only have old junky jeep/dodge dealers around us who won't spend a dime on new buildings/service/showroom, etc.  I just love the experience when I take one of the Audi's to the shop.  I have been to nice new JDR dealers in other cities and they are FAR nicer than what we have around us.

I'll agree with the dealer experience.  That is where Chrysler (or Stellantis) is lacking.  I drive about 30 minutes for service on my Jeep (the emissions recalls for the diesel) to avoid the AutoNation dealer that is closer.

The closest RAM dealer has finally stepped up their game some, but still not as nice as the Ford dealer.  My Porsche service has been completely next level.  All the service/dealers I've worked with (RAM, Chevy, Toyota/Lexus, Chrysler and Jeep) fall well short in comparison.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:58 PM, RyanB said:

I have the ZF 8 speed in my Grand Cherokee and the 10 speed in my (wife’s) Expedition MAX. The 8 speed doesn’t really give up anything to the 10 speed. Both transmissions are excellent. 

I’ve had a number of Chrysler vehicles. I’ve been happy with the quality of all of them. 

Truth be told, MOPAR has treated me well enough that I’m very tempted to trade the Ex in. If it were my car it would be a done deal. 

I am a little disappointed that there isn’t a extended wheel base version. 

They did say in one of the interviews that they do have an extended version coming :)

I placed a preorder for the Grand Wagoneer Obsidian (which is late delivery:-/)  Need more info before i decide to actually go with it.  Dealer called yesterday and the order banks opened for all the other trims and product start is just around the corner.  I really love the concept of this thing and the fact that you can get all the tech goodies without having some uppty nameplace like the Escalade.  But the thing is so damn big.  wider and longer than the GM rigs.  

55 minutes ago, gregtay said:

wider and longer than the GM rigs.  

The comparison I saw is size wise it fits between Tahoe and Suburban.  At least length wise.  Did you find something else?  

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

The comparison I saw is size wise it fits between Tahoe and Suburban.  At least length wise.  Did you find something else?  

Tahoe is 210, Wagoneer is 214. (so not that much longer.. but a the new Tahoe is already huge) and it is 2.1" wider.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Tahoe is 210, Wagoneer is 214. (so not that much longer.. but a the new Tahoe is already huge) and it is 2.1" wider.

Yeah I’m more interested in Burb size. If you want smaller why not the new Grand Cherokee?

4 hours ago, RyanB said:

Yeah I’m more interested in Burb size. If you want smaller why not the new Grand Cherokee?

Too small. I have a Durango SRT today,which is basically the predecessor to the new GC-L. Would like to go bigger.

5 hours ago, windy1 said:

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.8cf4235aa37c5f36a144215322a76c45.JPG

I feel like this deserves the purple trophy icon but when I click on it, it says "thanks".  It should say "maestro" or something like that.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:07 AM, gregtay said:

I placed a preorder for the Grand Wagoneer Obsidian (which is late delivery:-/)  Need more info before i decide to actually go with it.  Dealer called yesterday and the order banks opened for all the other trims and product start is just around the corner.  I really love the concept of this thing and the fact that you can get all the tech goodies without having some uppty nameplace like the Escalade.  But the thing is so damn big.  wider and longer than the GM rigs.  

Production should start soon.  The plant is in pre-production trials at the moment.  I've seen a few out there.  

I am the General Manager at a Jeep store in Michigan. I have allocations for 3 Wagoneer and 3 Grand Wagoneer. The only way to get one of these at this point is to go through the pre- registration process and order one. If anyone is interested, please let me know. 

• Like 2