Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leak under engine

so I have a leak that’s leaking over night about 1 table spoon pics attached not wet anywhere else and definitely not sump bolt I recon rear main?

Edited by Olie1290
ahopkins22LSV

It looks like your profile says you have a 2002 response LX? If so I don’t think those boats came with drip less prop shaft packing. I could be wrong but if they didn’t a teaspoon over night is perfectly fine. There should be a slow drip coming in at rest as the water is used for lubricant.

I think he is talking about an oil leak.

Always hard to find them when you can't see them - and your picture isn't attached.  But the usual culprits would be the rear main seal, oil drain line connection (if you have one) or an oil pan gasket leak.

Unfortunately not much you can do about any of them with the engine in the boat except the drain line.

• Like 2

Also check the oil filter just to make sure it isn't leaking on the side away from you.

As for the shaft seal, it shouldn't leak when the shaft isn't spinning.  It should let about six to ten drops per minute in with the shaft spinning at idle speed.

Can you trace the source of the drip either with a finger or by sliding a dry white paper towel along the oil pan?  I know there's not much room under there.

I had an oil leak on my '01 that turned out to be a failing oil pressure switch.