Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water to bilge inbetween pulls?

I have a Malibu wakesetter 1999 w/325 direct drive. I have three plugs in the boat , 1 in transom, 2 t-plug in motor box, 3 plug in ski locker in floor. I have checked all of these and they do not leak. However, i notice that after each wakeboard session that i bilge out somewhere around 1/2 gallon? Where else is there a possible leakage (shaft?) Thanks Rick

A little leakage around the driveshaft is normal, probably where it's coming in.

It's normal for some water to be down there. Every boat I've had seems to take on a little water, from splashing, the driveshaft, etc.

I have a Malibu wakesetter 1999 w/325 direct drive.  I have three plugs in the boat , 1 in transom, 2 t-plug in motor box, 3 plug in ski locker in floor.  I have checked all of these and they do not leak. However, i notice that after each wakeboard session that i bilge out somewhere around 1/2 gallon?  Where else is there a possible leakage (shaft?)  Thanks Rick

My bet is that the prop shaft is leaky. This is the case on my 02 VLX. I always get a good bit of water in the bilge and I checked all over the place for leaky plugs or ballast plumbing but when I checked the prop shaft it lets in almost a steady trickle of water. I am in the proccess of trying to tighten the packing but it is proving dificult on my V-drive. On your Direct Drive if this is the problem it should be pretty easy to tighten the packing.

A 1/2 gallon of water doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about though. It is normal to get some water in the bilge.

Edited by Chauncemaster
A 1/2 gallon of water doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about though.  It is normal to get some water in the bilge.

Yeah, I think my dog brings that much water into the boat every time he retrieves his ball, lol.

Alright!! The 'Bu Crew's first mention of the dreaded HDS!

My guess is that it may be the Hydroponic dampening system (HDS)?... aka that little box near the shaft packing... I have seen where direct drives have actually had the Plexus holding the layers of the HDS together, seperate, allowing water to seep through the layers of glass and into the bilge...

If it is not the Shaft packing, perfect pass paddle wheel or other intake fittings on the hull, then definitely have the HDS checked out.

JZ

EDIT: did not want to worry you but this is something to keep in mind... hopefully its as easy as tightening the shaft packing...

Edited by WakeAndSno

My Sunsetter is essentially identical to your wakesetter and I get the same thing... maybe a little less water over a 3 or 4 hour period. It's perfectly normal.

If you take out the back seat and lift up the board behind the engine box, you will see the drive shaft where it goes into the HDS. The big brass nut covers the packing area. You can either loosen the big nut and tighten down the interior nut followed by retightening the big brass nut to lock it in place, or you can just monitor how much water drips from the drive shaft. Any drip from 5 to 10 seconds is just fine and actually lubricates the shaft properly.

If you've never adjusted it, it may be that the packing needs adding to since it is 6 years old.

Be cautious not to open it up too far and flood your boat.... disclaimer... I take no responsibility for any damage that may result from you doing your own maintenance.... yada... yada... yada.

I wouldn't sweat it personally.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sweat it either. I think my water intake is comparable to my fuel consumption... therefore equalizing the weight of the boat as I burn gas. I consider it a feature Biggrin.gif

I think my water intake is comparable to my fuel consumption... therefore equalizing the weight of the boat as I burn gas.  I consider it a feature  Biggrin.gif

Thats the best line I've heard all day. I am glad my boat has this feature as well.

Yahoo.gif

My guess is that it may be the Hydroponic dampening system (HDS)?

Jonathan, it's Hydrophonic. (phono having to do with sound; hydroponic having to do with growing plants in water) On a six year old boat, an HDS problem would probably be more extensive than what the OP describes. BICBW

I wouldn't sweat it either. I think my water intake is comparable to my fuel consumption... therefore equalizing the weight of the boat as I burn gas. I consider it a feature Biggrin.gif

Ya, who needs ballast tanks anyway............ just hook up a pump and pump it in the floor of the boat!! :lol::lol:

Ok I just tightened my seal this last weekend. It only took 15 min. but then I'm a mechanic. The seal was leaking at a steady stream and I slowed it down to a drip every 9 sec.

I will be posting a how to with a few pics. I just need to sign up as a crewchief first.

Sunsetter Thats a great pic of the nuts. If you need asap instructions let me know and you could give me a call.

first tip is large nut is a leftty loosee and the small jam nut is a righty loosee. Only one wrench is needed.

OO ya. I am offering a free adjustment to thous who give me a free pull. Biggrin.gif I already have one customer. ( tarrevircas :)Tease2:

If you are out of state I would also need airfair. :lol:

What, no free house calls? Tease2.gif

Thanks for the offer, but I got it.

But if your in Phoenix and have time for a pull, let me know, I'll see what I can do.

The lake is only 20min from my house.

Edited by Sunsetter95
first tip is large nut is a leftty loosee and the small jam nut is a righty loosee.

Fingerwag.gif Technically not true because they are both right-hand threaded. Biggrin.gif Never mind me, I'm just being a bu!!head. Crazy.gif

Step-By-Step...

Step 1) Turn locknut (the thin one that's closer to the transom) clockwise so that it backs down away from the adjusting nut (the thicker one at the "top" of the packing gland).

Step 2) Turn adjusting nut clockwise until the drip slows to 1 drip every 5-10 seconds.

Step 3) Turn locknut counter-clockwise until it butts up against the adjusting nut. Be sure to hold the adjusting nut with one wrench while turning the locknut with another so as to not undo your adjustment.

Yes your right.Biggrin.gifNotworthy.gif

Step 1) Turn locknut (the thin one that's closer to the transom) clockwise so that it backs down away from the adjusting nut (the thicker one at the "top" of the packing gland).

is the same as. small jam nut is a righty loosee.

OR

turning the adjusting nut (the thicker one at the "top" of the packing gland). counter-clockwise. leftty loosee

I say that because some times the thin jam nut is tight and you loose grip. Then just go onto the thicker nut (more bite) to loosen it. Thumbup.gif

Yours is the text book way but some people have stated they (can't get the nut off) :blush:

Just for me being a butt. follow along with this one.

thick nut is a rightee tightee and the jam nut is a leftee tightee. Cheers.gifWhistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...
What size wrenches are required?

Go to ACE or a Home Depot and get two slip-nut wrenchs. They are about $8 to $12 each. For a DD you can use a big pair of channel locks and one of those wrenches. It make the job allot easier.

Here is what the wrench looks like.

Search Home Depot for:

Ez-Flo

Adjustable Locknut Wrench

Model 45111

$6.99

or at ACE

Slip-nut wrench

Edited by Sunsetter95

I just made this anjustment last week based on info from tis site and it was flaeless and effective. I took a steady strema down to one drop every 15 to 30 seconds and gave my bilge pump a greaat rest. As Nike says: Just do it.

I need to check this out as well. Real stupid question coming, but should this procedure be done while on the water, or can it be done on the trailer?

I was taking on like a gallon every 2 riders....

This can and should be done on the water so you can instantly see the results of your adjustment. Don't loosen the jam nut too much, then hand tighten the big nut unitl you get ~ 1 drop every 15-30 seconds.

I used to see my bilge pump run 3-4 times every trip. Now, I can't remember the last time I have seen it run.

This can and should be done on the water so you can instantly see the results of your adjustment.  Don't loosen the jam nut too much, then hand tighten the big nut unitl you get ~ 1 drop every 15-30 seconds.

I used to see my bilge pump run 3-4 times every trip.  Now, I can't remember the last time I have seen it run.

Safety First. ;)

Shut down before attempting the adjustment, snug it up, and then run it and observe the results.