Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 response lx update

Shrek

It is time to update my response. Love the boat so want to give it a new look. I am looking for ideas on what people have done. Interior is already sent out and will be all white carbon fiber style vinyl with black piping. Windshield is off and frame is going to get powter coated and glass tinted. I do need advice on where to get windshild seals as a couple of them got damaged. My main question is what have people done with flooring. I was thinking some sort of sea deck style flooring but unsure what to do with sides and bow. Also curious what people have done with dash upgrades?  Lastly does anybody have real experience with wrap vs paint? I am trying to get quotes on painting or wrapping the boat as I would like it all Perl white

9 hours ago, Shrek said:

It is time to update my response. Love the boat so want to give it a new look. I am looking for ideas on what people have done. Interior is already sent out and will be all white carbon fiber style vinyl with black piping. Windshield is off and frame is going to get powter coated and glass tinted. I do need advice on where to get windshild seals as a couple of them got damaged. My main question is what have people done with flooring. I was thinking some sort of sea deck style flooring but unsure what to do with sides and bow. Also curious what people have done with dash upgrades?  Lastly does anybody have real experience with wrap vs paint? I am trying to get quotes on painting or wrapping the boat as I would like it all Perl white

Welcome to the crew.

Your boat has gelcoat instead of paint.  You can wrap it, but it might be hard to do the entire boat and have it look right.  I suggest that if you want to change the whole thing to white, go with an aircraft type paint such as Awlgrip.  It will provide a great finish that is nearly worry-free, but it will take a great deal of prep to do the whole boat.  They do offer a great pearl finish also.

For others who are interested, I have seen several boats that were badly faded that got lightly wet sanded and then clear coated with Awlgrip.  Even the metal flake parts looked better than new, and the boats never needed anything more than a wipe down.

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Apparently I am SLOW. I can't figure out how to add a picture.  It wants me to add as a url link and I'm not sure how to do that

If you are not a member, use a third party site like IMGUR.com or Gdrive, etc

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, Shrek said:

Shrek,  I am also restoring my 99 Response LX.  We are trying trying to decide if it's better to paint or powder coat the windshield.    Can you tell us if the window frame is easy to dissemble?  Are you concerned with getting the same rigidity of the window when you reassemble it?

Thanks,
Mike