Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to lower your Extreme Trailer

woody

My trailer is a 2005 completely stock tandem axle extreme trailer that carries my 2005 VLX. This article depicts the measurements that I obtained from repositioning the torsion axle spindles; yours may be different.

One spline will equal between 1/2" to 5/8. I have not towed the trailer yet to see if it will settle, so it may end up being a little lower yet.

I originally had 3 of clearance between my tire tread and fender. After this mod, I now have 1.5 clearance which I still I believe to be plenty of room for wheel travel. See pics.

1.jpg
Tools used

2.jpg
View of general area, spindle is on the right

3.jpg
Close-up of spindle

1. Position the trailer on level ground.
  2. Chock the left side trailer wheels for safety.
  3. Position a floor jack on a trailer frame rail so that the jack will lift both right side wheels off the ground at the same time. (I positioned the jack under the forward axle beam.)
  4. Break loose all the lug nuts on both right side wheels.
  5. Jack up the right side of the trailer.
  6. Place jack stands under the trailer. DO NOT rely on just the floor jack to hold up the trailer, the seals may blow out and drop the trailer to the ground!
  7. Remove all of the lug nuts and pull the wheel assemblies off of the right axles.
  8. Completely loosen and remove the 15/16 nut & bolt that secure the spindle to axle shaft.
  9. Mark the current position of the spindle and axle shaft.
  10. Use a pry bar between the spindle and axle end cap to get the spindle loose from the splined axle shaft.
  11. Wiggle the shaft forward to aft until it is off the splined axle shaft.
  12. Now, reposition the spindle on the axle shaft at the new desired location to lower your trailer (see my measurements to determine where you want to reposition the spindles).
  13. Slide the spindle on the axle shaft into its new location.
  14. Install the 15/16 nut & bolt (I do not know what the proper torque is; it is tight!).
  15. Install the wheel assembly.
  16. Now do the other right wheel (repeat steps 8-15)
  17. Repeat steps on the left side

4.jpg
Fender height before

5.jpg
Fender height after

6.jpg
Prop cage height before

7.jpg
Prop cage height after

Just a note that may help folks who want to adjust their splined axle trailers.

Each spline is 6 degrees of rotation.

If you raise the trailing arms from a typical position of 18 degrees below horizontal to horizontal, you will lower the frame on the tires by 1-3/8”. This will also move the center of the hubs back less than ¼” in the wheel wells.

If you move the trailing arms from the current position to 6 degrees above horizontal, you will lower the frame by 1-7/8”.

Just helpful information.

Peter

Thank woody! I will too if/when I ever use these instructions. Are you going to try this on yours G? I think that I saw that you bought your trailer a gift, & I'd have to wonder how much clearance you'd have to work with.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually need to do this to get my boat in the garage! Had to take off the tow ball and racks off the tower on my 06 23lsv..... Has anyone done the 1 7/8" with no problems? I jus upgraded to 17" wheels so i think i will need to move my fenders out or order 10" wide fenders from extreme.

Any advice apreciated.

I got the black ninja wheels from shadow trailers if that helps.....they do not rub at all now as the extreme axles do NOT have much flex at all

Any bottoming on the rudder guard?

I actually need to do this to get my boat in the garage! Had to take off the tow ball and racks off the tower on my 06 23lsv..... Has anyone done the 1 7/8" with no problems? I jus upgraded to 17" wheels so i think i will need to move my fenders out or order 10" wide fenders from extreme.

Any advice apreciated.

I got the black ninja wheels from shadow trailers if that helps.....they do not rub at all now as the extreme axles do NOT have much flex at all

Any bottoming on the rudder guard?

You can easily lower the trailer to 1 7/8, there is room inside the fender. I think the only time the tire would rubber is if had to go over an extremely rough road or driveway/curb that would really flex the suspension.

There is a lot of room below the prop/rudder gaurd, so that wouldn't be a problem.

• 7 months later...

You can easily lower the trailer to 1 7/8, there is room inside the fender. I think the only time the tire would rubber is if had to go over an extremely rough road or driveway/curb that would really flex the suspension.

There is a lot of room below the prop/rudder gaurd, so that wouldn't be a problem.

This is a great article. I lowered my trailer several inches and had to put new fenders on. I took it as low as i felt possible without any problems. My titan III fits very nice under 10' doors now !!!

This is a great article. I lowered my trailer several inches and had to put new fenders on. I took it as low as i felt possible without any problems. My titan III fits very nice under 10' doors now !!!

If I can lower about 1 " I wont have to remove my rear hoop. Any additional advice or suggestions?

Just a suggestion - Get to it!

Once I finish the HID light install, then the Xtreme Bilge Heater, then this...

Edited by old skool malibu

Welcome to boating..... :biggrin:

Its been a busy winter of upgrades. I thought when I went from a 89 to a 09 this would stop! I think I need to have a look at the trailer in the garage and see how to accomplish this, not sure I 100% understand from the pictures given but reading the comments it sounds like this is a piece of cake?!

Its been a busy winter of upgrades. I thought when I went from a 89 to a 09 this would stop! I think I need to have a look at the trailer in the garage and see how to accomplish this, not sure I 100% understand from the pictures given but reading the comments it sounds like this is a piece of cake?!

It's not too bad, if you've got any mechanical ability it isn't tough. It never stops...newer and better concept just keeps rolln' along.

It is a piece of cake.....................If you have Woody help you.

Woody, coming to Calgary anytime soon :biggrin:

Edited by old skool malibu

Woody, coming to Calgary anytime soon :biggrin:

I just need a plane ride and I'm there! :yahoo:

I should only take you about an hour to complete. After helping J-Ro with his trailer, we did find out that each side of the trailer axles had to be positioned asymeterical to make it level.

I just need a plane ride and I'm there! :yahoo:

I should only take you about an hour to complete. After helping J-Ro with his trailer, we did find out that each side of the trailer axles had to be positioned asymeterical to make it level.

Perfect this is the kind of info I am after! So if I want to lower 1" would I rotate one spline in a clockwise direction? Any other tips or problems you encountered?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

someone please help educate me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this significantly decrease you're effective "departure" angle.... i.e. causing you to scrape the prop guard when going through a culvert or similar where it may not have scraped prior to the mod? Sounds like its great for those who store in a garage, but just curious about the other effects of this mod.

someone please help educate me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this significantly decrease you're effective "departure" angle.... i.e. causing you to scrape the prop guard when going through a culvert or similar where it may not have scraped prior to the mod? Sounds like its great for those who store in a garage, but just curious about the other effects of this mod.

You are right on. Lowering a trailer has the same down side to a lowered car. You can and will scrape more often when the road changes pitch drastically.