Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing a Better Fuel Sender

mlange

Hopefully someone makes it this far down the thread when considering between the two types of fuel senders - reed switch or float arm - but figured I would offer my experience since I've been through both now.

I replaced the sender in my Sportster (which has a 10" deep tank FYI) years ago with the Moeller float arm style that hinges at the top. I just replaced this sender with the reed switch style from Skidim yesterday because I wasn't happy with the other sender. The main problem with these is that because they are adjustable for different depth tanks the float is held in place with these slide clips/collars on either side to keep it in place at the end of the arm. These clips have been unreliable for me. Soon after I installed it the bottom clip fell off and my float slid off the arm into the tank. I had to get another float and used two clips on the bottom side when I reinstalled to prevent this from happening again.

After I fixed this I thought I was good and would never have to mess with the sender again. But - over the last couple seasons I noticed the fuel level starting to read very inaccurate like @Bozboat mentions above - gauge reading empty when its nearly half full. What I discovered when I pulled the sender yesterday is that the top clip above the float slipped up the arm a couple inches. This essentially shortens the arm because the float will slide up the arm as it's floating on the fuel and quickly drop it to vertical (empty) instead of being held at the end of the arm and slowly lowering it with the fuel level. So you'll get an empty reading at a half full tank. If you were to bend the end of the arm at 90 deg. like Boz suggested that might fix that problem but you'll have to do that at the start when cutting to length.

• 2 months later...

I’m considering using one of the reed-type senders. Does anyone know the depth of the tank in a 2001 Response LX?

Edit: it’s a bit under 6 inches. The 5 inch part is working well. 

Edited by Ggreenway
Answering my own question
  • 3 months later...