Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing a Better Fuel Sender

mlange

Just put the teleflex in my 2000 response. Worked great. Dipped a paint stick in tank. Marked tank depth and amount of gas in tank on stick. Divided into increments of 4 to determine how much gas should be in tank. Put stick under gasket on sender and adjusted float to about 1/4 inch from where bottom of tank should be. Put sender in tank. Turned key checked gauge and it was right where it should be on stick. In my case between a 1/4 and 1/2 tank

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2010 at 7:04 PM, Pistol Pete said:

Edit,

I happen to be winterizing my boat today (pretty late in the season for me), and noticed I gave bad info. on where the sender is. Here is where it is...

SENDER.jpg

cant see photo and this would be the most helpful piece before trying to do it this weekend

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 0:42 PM, AJwakedevil said:

cant see photo and this would be the most helpful piece before trying to do it this weekend

Haha, I thought the exact same thing. The picture I need doesn't show up. I feel it's going to have to be under the floor where the table goes. It's not at the very back where the fuel pump intake/returns are because there's no wires.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

When I pulled my engine a few weeks ago there was the one small wire that I didn’t notice  until after it was ripped loose.  The wire is long enough to reach almost any area of the engine.  I know it goes to the negative terminal on the fuel gauge but it is not a ground. My gas gauge on the medallion multi gauge is now showing only empty. 

Does anyone know where the gas gauge wire attaches to the engine or to the mdc thru the cannon plug or wherever?

here is a photo 

25E946D7-60F7-4572-A474-1DBED9C302BC.jpeg

9055E5DF-4659-412E-91E6-A47FC0D302C7.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat
19 hours ago, Bozboat said:

When I pulled my engine a few weeks ago there was the one small wire that I didn’t notice  until after it was ripped loose.  The wire is long enough to reach almost any area of the engine.  I know it goes to the negative terminal on the fuel gauge but it is not a ground. My gas gauge on the medallion multi gauge is now showing only empty.

Why would you say that?

57 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Why would you say that?

on top of the fuel sender there are two black wires connected to the negative and one red wire connected to the positive.  one red and one black go up around the starboard side toward the dashboard.   The remaining black wire goes down under the back sofa along the exhaust and fuel line route up to the engine area.    When I ground the mystery wire the gauge does not move. ( I did put 15 gallons in, which should get some movement at the multigauge)

so would the gas sender have two negative leads, both grounds?  

I'm guessing the open lead goes to the engine block (to a proper nearby ground) and the other "ground" completes the circuit for the gauge.  Anyway, I guess I'm questioning how you actually know how 1) it goes to the negative terminal, and 2) it's not a ground.  Seems like they cannot be mutually exclusive.  Not trying to poke the bear but it just doesn't make any sense to me.  Black wires are grounds, period...unless someone went rogue on the wiring.  If (I repeat if) you truly know it goes to the negative terminal on the fuel gauge, then re-connect it and be done with it, and if there is an issue with the gauge, then I would presume it's not related and/or troubleshoot from there.

Having said that, take a look at your grounding terminal on the engine block and see if there is a wire missing from a crimped terminal end.

14 hours ago, formulaben said:

I'm guessing the open lead goes to the engine block (to a proper nearby ground) and the other "ground" completes the circuit for the gauge.  Anyway, I guess I'm questioning how you actually know how 1) it goes to the negative terminal, and 2) it's not a ground.  Seems like they cannot be mutually exclusive.  Not trying to poke the bear but it just doesn't make any sense to me.  Black wires are grounds, period...unless someone went rogue on the wiring.  If (I repeat if) you truly know it goes to the negative terminal on the fuel gauge, then re-connect it and be done with it, and if there is an issue with the gauge, then I would presume it's not related and/or troubleshoot from there.

Having said that, take a look at your grounding terminal on the engine block and see if there is a wire missing from a crimped terminal end.

Poke all you want, I need the help. I don't actually know much, but I am real good at assumptions.  ;) The top of the fuel sender has two terminals,  one marked positive one marked negative.  There are two black wires coming off the sender terminal marked negative.  One of those black wires is the loose wire I have laying in the photo.  I was assuming it was not a ground wire because when I grounded it to the engine block my fuel gauge did not react.  The fuel gage worked before I pulled the engine and now it does not, which makes me think the black wire is the problem.  I will look again for crimped end with no wire and get back to you in a few days.  Thanks

On my v-drive the grounding terminal is to the right of the transmission neutral switch, just outside the edge of the bell housing...YMMV.  Wherever it is, there should be a big black wire (negative wire) attached to that terminal that goes to the battery; I recall at least 2 small black wires that were stock (one for v-drive and can't recall the other) and I added another one for an accessory.  I'll look at my fuel gauge today and see what I can find.  I know they are different models but can't hurt to check there first.

@Bozboat sure enough there are 3 wires, 2 of them black coming out of my fuel sending unit.  In my case they go into the wiring harness and I presume go to the helm.  Sorry, it's not much help.  FWIW my grounding block has a curled ground wire that goes into the cannon plug.

It does help, I will look into the loose wire grounding at the engine ground or near the cannon plug or near the transmission shifter and see.   Seems odd to me that Grounding the loose wire didn’t have much effect, but I will look and let you know.

@Bozboat -

Ben is correct; it's a ground wire.  Mine is connected to the rear of the port head at the angle bracket for the throttle cable.  Look around there and you should find a lonely crimp ring terminal looking for its lost wire.

The second black wire on your fuel gauge had better go up along the filler hose to directly ground the metal filler cap.

If that is the only wire you missed when you pulled your engine, you did a great job!

Regards,

- Just Gary

• Like 2
On 6/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, justgary said:

@Bozboat -

Ben is correct; it's a ground wire.  Mine is connected to the rear of the port head at the angle bracket for the throttle cable.  Look around there and you should find a lonely crimp ring terminal looking for its lost wire.

The second black wire on your fuel gauge had better go up along the filler hose to directly ground the metal filler cap.

If that is the only wire you missed when you pulled your engine, you did a great job!

Regards,

- Just Gary

I haven’t been able to locate where the black wire goes,  with gas tank full, needle should move off empty when I ground this stray ground wire?   Touching it to the negative battery cable which terminates to a bolt in the cylinder head has no effect on the reading.  I am assuming that a ground wire could be grounded to anything that is grounded?

@Bozboat -

I'm starting to wonder if your wire got broken in another place when you snatched it loose from the engine.  Use an ohm meter to see if it is still a wire by testing it at both ends.  Or just ground the tank with a new wire to troubleshoot. 

So you didn't find the crimp ring where it used to be connected? 

- Just Gary 

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my sender the toilet tank style one and if we’re going to do it again I would try the skidim model.  I never managed to get mine to read empty at empty instead it reads empty at half. 

(Currently not working due to me accidentally ripping a wire out)

15 hours ago, Bozboat said:

I replaced my sender the toilet tank style one and if we’re going to do it again I would try the skidim model.  I never managed to get mine to read empty at empty instead it reads empty at half. 

(Currently not working due to me accidentally ripping a wire out)

Thanks for the info.  Do you recall, is your tank 7" deep?

23 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you recall, is your tank 7" deep?

Check page 5, about 3/4 to the end to see my install.  If you look at the float in my cardboard markup, I cut the wire that holds the float to fit the tank, thinking about this I would leave the wire longer and bend the wire 90 degrees at the float, so the float would float on the gas where now it sticks into the gas.

Edited by Bozboat
  • 3 years later...

I am getting ready to do this project.  One question I have is, is it necessary to use any kind of sealer besides the new rubber gasket when installing the new sender?  I don’t want to have any fuel leaks nor do I want sealer dripping into the tank causing anything to get plugged up. Wondering what others have done.

15 minutes ago, MTBoy said:

I am getting ready to do this project.  One question I have is, is it necessary to use any kind of sealer besides the new rubber gasket when installing the new sender?  I don’t want to have any fuel leaks nor do I want sealer dripping into the tank causing anything to get plugged up. Wondering what others have done.

Yes. I changed my sender and had a leak right after. Pretty sure it's due to the tank deforming slightly and raising the screw holes. Then putting a new "flat" sender on it leaves leak points. Liquid gasket took care of it. Pretty sure I used the below product.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/sealant/p/permatex-permashield-orange-fuel-resistant-gasket-sealant-2-oz/166684_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:71700000069889792&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_KIBhA2EiwAaAAlitlz7Pk9q1reWzlhxlb0LVuk9oHPQurqAQsK2SOTIYGhuU_Pv6XbmhoC5TMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by BlindSquirrel