Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Common places to look for uncommon ground

Reider

2019 21 vlx. 

I have static at no volume and also worse when boat is on.  Where should I be looking to fix the problem. 

I’m guessing this is an uncommon ground between black boxes and the amplifiers themselves.  

any one have this ?

2 hours ago, Reider said:

2019 21 vlx. 

I have static at no volume and also worse when boat is on.  Where should I be looking to fix the problem. 

I’m guessing this is an uncommon ground between black boxes and the amplifiers themselves.  

any one have this ?

Make sure rcas are not run near speaker wire

O

On 2/1/2021 at 5:27 AM, MLA said:

Find where the noise enters the system. 

ok,  I’m going to start by turning on system then removing RCAs from amps. This should tell me if it’s come from headunit/blackbox

then I’m going to find ground at black box and ohm across to ground terminal for amps 

any other tips 

• 1 month later...

The easy first step is to source all 12v signal power and ground from the same place. 

back of an amp, or power/ground distribution blocks work great 

use the factory harness to thr black box  to trigger a relay, and nothing more. Use that key-on relay you have just setup to power the black box and equalizer( if you have one) with clean power. 

no relay needed for grounds, but run both black box ground and eq ground to your amp ground block. 

this is the best starting place, then work to eliminate wire interference, etc. 

your idea of isolating the amps without the black box is a good one. Unfortunately, certain years of these black boxes are just noisy. Hence why many have gone to Bluetooth receivers to bypass. Sucks losing factory controls, but for many it’s worth it. Good luck!

Quick fix is to use an RCA ground loop isolator for $10.    You will also notice that if you don't have your amps tuned correctly (ie.  gains too high) it will make the noise worse.

I've heard of those isolators, and hear that they can sometimes help.

That being said, I prefer to eliminate all possible ground loops before I go that route.  

On 3/23/2021 at 1:40 PM, dhcomp said:

I've heard of those isolators, and hear that they can sometimes help.

That being said, I prefer to eliminate all possible ground loops before I go that route.  

correct, grounds and sources first then the isolator

20 hours ago, MLA said:

I do not recall the 2019 black box or DSP amps having RCA plugs. Would a bit of modification to the harnesses, just to test the application of a GLI.

Good point. Even better reason to start with fixing factory power and ground sources, and look at an isolator second.