Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question on Stereo Upgrade for 04 Sunsetter 23XTI

erc1956us

So I purchased a 2004 sunsetter last year for a great deal.  The boat is in perfect condition and has very low hours but is all original.  Because its a sunsetter it did not come with tower speakers or an amp however it did have a remote under the dash and it looks to be wired for bow speakers.  I have replaced the other interior speakers with Wet Sounds as the old Sony's were just well old.  Before this summer I would like to add bow speakers, sub, amp and a new head unit with BT.  My question is; what is the best way to run the wiring for the amp and connect to the existing speaker wire, and what head unit / remote would you recommend or would you get something like a Kicker 46KMC4 or similar and mount it under the dash or a different location?  I want to get set up for tower speakers but I think its going to have to be a next year project or as funds allow.  

By the way, thanks to this forum the replacement of the dash speakers was quick and painless.  

Depending on the woofer choice, which I would decide on now, a 5 or 6 channel would do well to power 3 pair of in-boats and a mild woofer. If a more commanding bass system is desired, then id consider a separate mono amp just for the woofer. 

Laying the cabling foundation now, for the future tower setup, is the way to go. Plan on that tower amp, so you have space for the amp and adequate cable capacity. This may mean you need to decide on what type of tower speakers fit your goals and what kind of amp wattage is needed to properly power them. 

Not sure what is meant by "remote for bow speakers. 

I would consider a media unit that would offer at least 2 zone volume control so you have control over the in-boats/woofer and tower. Many people like to dial down the cabin when the crank the tower speakers.  

Thanks for the input, the two zone system is exactly what I was thinking.  I don't want to get too carried away as I know this is probably only a few year boat for us until we upgrade.  Sorry for the confusion on the remote, the old head unit under the armrest also has a remote to control volume under the dash (all sony). I know this is the old school way of doing it but I haven't messed with stuff like this since I was in high school over 20 years ago.  I know the basics but technology has changed so much and just not sure where to start but I like the DIY projects.

That round remote is likely with an LCD screen? Its just a slave remote for the main head under the armrest. Not specific to the bow, just gives you some basics without having to lift the armrest. thats would most likely become obsolete with a new head unit/media center.