Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 VLX - Carpet Replacement?

ChadFulton

My 2001 VLX looks like it still has original carpet... pretty grimy at this point and my wife and kids would enjoy the boat MUCH more this summer if we rip it out.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done Seadek or Gator Step? How pricey? I understand it is much more involved than just new carpet because you have to prep the fiber glass. Worth it? Any other suggestions?

We dropped in spaghetti mat. I am 180 bucks in with a 4x12 sheet of flooring and 1/8” particle board for a template. The carpet had previously been removed and painted, so I don’t know if that is a problem. Maybe someone with a “carpet saver” can comment with problems. I tied to share before  and after photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qWyTzGCmxzTU5gyS6

VinLoop Vinyl Pool, Bathroom,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D56U5P0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 

Edited by MarkN
Link to product
8 hours ago, tbullard said:

I used woven vinyl flooring. Installs just like carpet so no worries about prepping for Seadek or Gator Step. Being vinyl it doesn't absorb water so it dries fairly quickly.

49828099396_15ef1d5613_b.jpg49828099291_65d7c1fa86_b.jpg

Nice, did you do the work yourself? Is that the kind of flooring typically found in pontoons?

7 minutes ago, ChadFulton said:

Nice, did you do the work yourself? Is that the kind of flooring typically found in pontoons?

No, I had it done while having the vinyl redone and they had everything pulled out already. Yes, it is the type of flooring typically found on pontoons.

Update:

Just got quoted by the owner of a local SeaDek installer. Has great before/after pics of older VLXs that had glue in carpet.

He would: remove old carpet, sand and prep fiberglass, make custom panel for fuel tank area, epoxy the floor, custom scan my boat to send to SeaDek, fully install SeaDek. Full process start to end including material and labor puts me at $2500-$3000 (I'm assuming $3k).

Does that sound worth it to anyone who has done this? Is carpet replacement significantly cheaper?

8 hours ago, MarkN said:

We dropped in spaghetti mat. I am 180 bucks in with a 4x12 sheet of flooring and 1/8” particle board for a template. The carpet had previously been removed and painted, so I don’t know if that is a problem. Maybe someone with a “carpet saver” can comment with problems. I tied to share before  and after photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qWyTzGCmxzTU5gyS6

VinLoop Vinyl Pool, Bathroom,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D56U5P0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 

Hard to argue with $180!

Do you think you can remove your carpet yourself?  I had snap out carpet for my VTX, took that out and did not have to do any sanding or epoxy, but I did have to make a template (which wasn't difficult) to put in Gatorstep.  It was overall pretty easy.  They send you a big sheet that's like a paper bag material from a grocery store, you cut it to the size you want and label floor hatches, pylons, etc then send it back to them.  Pick your colors and they'll make it custom and ship it out to you.  Install is pretty easy too.  Peel off the sticky backing and attach to the floor.

23 minutes ago, ChadFulton said:

Update:

Just got quoted by the owner of a local SeaDek installer. Has great before/after pics of older VLXs that had glue in carpet.

He would: remove old carpet, sand and prep fiberglass, make custom panel for fuel tank area, epoxy the floor, custom scan my boat to send to SeaDek, fully install SeaDek. Full process start to end including material and labor puts me at $2500-$3000 (I'm assuming $3k).

Does that sound worth it to anyone who has done this? Is carpet replacement significantly cheaper?

What would it cost to remove old carpet and replace with new? If it lasts another 20 years while maintaining the classic look of the boat, this may be a much more practical alternative. But I'm biased, since it is what I plan to do when time allows.  

29 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Carpet material would be 3-400 bucks.  Not much in the way of prep if the old glue is not a big problem.  

Wow, that is a significant price differential as compared to SeaDek. Love the idea of SeaDek but for the price that is a tough value prop.

Thanks for the info

Well, my number is not including professional labour.  IIRC some folks leave carpet on the gunwales, and only SeaDek the floor.  That would not be my choice.  Carpet is fine for me, although I'd have loved a Boston Whaler style floor (like the old Hydrodynes) with snap-in carpet.

44 minutes ago, John I. said:

What would it cost to remove old carpet and replace with new? If it lasts another 20 years while maintaining the classic look of the boat, this may be a much more practical alternative. But I'm biased, since it is what I plan to do when time allows.  

I have emails out to a few local places waiting on quotes...

I think I would prefer SeaDek, but depending on price of new carpet, it may not be worth it. Will post prices if anyone gets back to me.

I forgot to mention the Gatorstep price was very reasonable IMO.  I think my complete floor was like $5-600.  Granted that was a few years ago, but you could definitely do it for less than a grand.  Assuming you take the old stuff out yourself.

3 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I forgot to mention the Gatorstep price was very reasonable IMO.  I think my complete floor was like $5-600.  Granted that was a few years ago, but you could definitely do it for less than a grand.  Assuming you take the old stuff out yourself.

Thanks for sharing! My biggest challenge would be the labor of prepping all the fiberglass, and I don't have the time to put into it myself. Material price for Gatorstep and Seadek seem to be pretty close. The expensive part is paying for a professional's labor vs doing the work myself.

I think I have seen people using deckadence and not doing a ton of prep. https://marineflooring.net/gallery/

I recall seeing a couple of posts on here about that process (looked for a minute at lunch and I couldn't find those posts). I think that people usually leave the carpet on the sides and drop in the deckadance and let it "float" on the floor. I believe it stays put pretty well and you can still pull it out for cleaning. I just picked up an 04 lsv and I think that will be a future project, although the carpet in mine is surprisingly good.

you could probably do the prep yourself and I would bet the flooring would be less than $1K. Just another option...