Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FCC & Fuel Filter H2O Separator location

Pretty sure I’ve answered this question for myself. Boat doesn’t have either a FCC or water & fuel separator. Seems strange to me but I think the distinction is between Crusader/Challenger and the PCM ZR series. The later having both units and the former neither. The Crusader must rely an in tank filter only. I’ll ask about the in tank filter change interval with my dealer. 

Last boat I saw with a water separator was my in-laws Merc powered lxi.  Not a normal thing in a wake/ski boat.

As far as the sock around the pumps, no reason you should have to replace it unless you buy some pretty skanky fuel.

8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Fuel control cell - Its a big weird external fuel pump/filter that PCM uses.  It's an expensive solution to a non-existent problem.

I’m glad I don’t have to deal with it. Looks like a PITA to mess with.

23 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Fuel control cell - Its a big weird external fuel pump/filter that PCM uses.  It's an expensive solution to a non-existent problem.

Reinforces the fact I currently own my last boat. 

On 1/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, oldjeep said:

ehh...I don't know that the people with indmars that had vapor lock would agree that it solves a non-existent problem.

8 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

ehh...I don't know that the people with indmars that had vapor lock would agree that it solves a non-existent problem.

Back in the day when vapor lock was a problem - before the pumps were in the tanks?  Haven't heard of that being an issue on any modern indmar engine.  Merc solved the problem a million years ago with a simple fuel cooler, like the one on my inlaws merc powered 04 LXI.

Using an accumulator (with a filter in it) is great for a drag car, doesn't make much sense for a boat.

Edited by oldjeep
20 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Back in the day when vapor lock was a problem - before the pumps were in the tanks?  Haven't heard of that being an issue on any modern indmar engine.  Merc solved the problem a million years ago with a simple fuel cooler, like the one on my inlaws merc powered 04 LXI.

Using an accumulator (with a filter in it) is great for a drag car, doesn't make much sense for a boat.

That change occurred in what?  07 I seem to think?  FCC came out well before that.  Could they go to in tank and do away w it?  I guess.  No complaints with my 3 FCCed boats tho.  VL a modern problem?  No, I agree.

Having owned 3 different Malibus (the last one with the in-tank high pressure fuel pump) and owning now a Nautique, I have to admit the FCC (and the easily accessible fuel-water separator) seems not the worst idea to have.

The fuel-water separator sits in the back, behind the rear seat backrest above the fuel tank. The backrest just slides up and is removed in 5 seconds. The separator has a filter cartridge screwed on, very much like the engine oil filter and serves also as the primary fuel filter. Changing it out takes maybe 5 Minutes, no tools required.

The FCC looks intimidating at first, but is actually fairly easy to maintain (if ever necessary). - Drain the unit, loosen a clamp, remove housing and clean out/change filter.

One of the main advantages of the FCC (so I read) is, that you won’t burn an expensive in-tank high pressure fuel pump when you run out of gas.

From the aspect of serviceability I prefer the engine mounted FCC over the in-tank location that Malibu offers. What a hassle that was to get to in my Response.