Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wedge is stuck

So today went out in the boat and after about 5 min of wakeboarding realized the wedge got stuck in lift after a fall.  It would not budge and debug assist would not work to move it.  You could hear the actuators make noise as if it were moving but the wedge wouldn't budge.  I had to load the boat with the wedge in lift.  This wedge was replaced under warranty a couple months ago with new actuators and relay.  I saw on threads here that there is a red valve on top of the ram that will bypass it and allow you to move the wedge manually.  I loosened it and was able to raise the wedge back to a stow position.  However after trying to tighten the red bypass it didn't seem like it turned as far as I had loosened it and it just stopped as if it were as tight as it would go.  It did not lock the wedge back into place.  You can still pull the wedge down about 1/4 of the way.  My mechanic is crazy busy and Im just hoping to get the wedge locked into stow to use the boat in the meantime until I can get it checked out.  Any ideas on what's up or what I'm doing wrong?

Have you gone back in to recalibrate it yet? Sounds like a computer glitch. IIWM, I would disconnect all of the batteries for 30 seconds or so. Reconnect everything and recalibrate the wedge. If you have the red override button reset, which it sounds like you do, it should self correct during recalibration. If a hard reset and recalibration doesn’t work I am guessing you will need to make an appointment with the service Dept. In the mean time, if you can get the wedge up to a safe position I would zip tie it in the up position so you can use it until you can get it in. Just remember you won’t be able to use any presets that involve the wedge. Hope this helps. 

By recalibrate you just mean turn the sensor so it reads the appropriate voltage in the stow or lift position?  Malibu told me previous it should read 3.54 in stow, and this go round the mechanic said it should read 0.51 in lift. Since it was stuck in lift we changed the sensor to .51 and that didn't help.  Did not disconnect the batteries.  Any ideas on why tightening the red screw valve won't lock the wedge into place?  Thanks for the zip tie idea that should have been an obvious  solution.  Will also try the disconnecting the batteries. 

If you go into the Malivue there is a dedicated page for wedge recalibration. It basically just runs the wedge through its full range and aligns the position sensor with the actual wedge position. An over simplification of course. The red valve is a pressure relief valve that bleeds off resistance in the form of fluid.

This is from the OM and should get you started in the right direction hopefully.

Power Wedge and Surf Gate
Manual Extension and Retraction
For boats equipped with these optional features, it is important for the authorized Malibu dealer to verify the manual extension and retraction function is operational, in case the consumer ever has to perform this due to the failure of the automated system controlled through the video screen.
For the Power Wedge, using a small (stubby) straight screwdriver, loosen a small red screw on top until it stops. Lift or lower the wedge to the position desired and then tighten the screw snugly (but do no over-tighten). Manually cycle the wedge a couple of times after doing to ensure that the screw is snug and the wedge moves correctly.
Good luck

1 hour ago, wdr said:

If you go into the Malivue there is a dedicated page for wedge recalibration. It basically just runs the wedge through its full range and aligns the position sensor with the actual wedge position. An over simplification of course. The red valve is a pressure relief valve that bleeds off resistance in the form of fluid.

This is from the OM and should get you started in the right direction hopefully.

Power Wedge and Surf Gate
Manual Extension and Retraction
For boats equipped with these optional features, it is important for the authorized Malibu dealer to verify the manual extension and retraction function is operational, in case the consumer ever has to perform this due to the failure of the automated system controlled through the video screen.
For the Power Wedge, using a small (stubby) straight screwdriver, loosen a small red screw on top until it stops. Lift or lower the wedge to the position desired and then tighten the screw snugly (but do no over-tighten). Manually cycle the wedge a couple of times after doing to ensure that the screw is snug and the wedge moves correctly.
Good luck

You are thinking about SG re-calibration.

There isn't a wedge calibration screen. You can see what the voltage output of the sensor is, but it does not re-calibrate it. It's a manual process to do that, involving adjusting the sensor on the wedge to the desired voltage range.

If he isn't getting a wedge cal error it isn't a calibration issue. I would say that it is either the wedge breaker tripped or a bad actuator.

The process on the wedge you posted is really just to make sure all of the air is out of the cylinder. Same for the SG actuators.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

The most common thing that I have found that causes issues with the power wedge is loose connections in the circuit.  I usually check the ground cables that go to the port side of the engine, the power cable that goes to the power post on the stringer, the connections on the breaker, the black Delphi plug at the relay box and going to the wedge, and the wires that go through the transom for damage.

I'm not sure why the red bypass valve will not allow you to lock the wedge in the stowed position, but I have noticed that after opening the valve to move it manually the wedge needs to be cycled full up and full down a couple times using the debug assist screen before it will move normally again.

An internal failure of the wedge actuator hydraulics or motor is possible, but not very common.  I have seen a few relay pack failures, but loose connections are a lot more common.

Im pretty sure I will have to bring to mechanic, but as of now trying to figure out why it won't lock back into place.  I loosened the red screw on top of the ram which allowed me to raise the wedge and it will stay up on its own, but when i tighten the screw back it still has play and will drop about 6-8 inches with mild downward pressure.  I thought tightening that red screw back once in desired position should lock it back in place?  By the way thanks for the replies!

Edited by mbradburn
1 hour ago, COOP said:

There is a debug screen that will let you run the wedge up and down, providing the motor is working. 

That’s what I was thinking, but I couldn’t remember. I have had to run the SG through its paces, but not the wedge, yet...

thanks for the info but as I mentioned in the original post the debug is not working, the actuator makes noise like its moving the wedge but it doesn't budge.  My main concern was how to raise the wedge manually out of lift which I was able to do with the red bypass screw on top of the ram.  Once it lifted however and I tightened it back the wedge would stay up but slight pressure on it would drop it about 6 inches then stop.  I thought tightening the screw would lock it back in place.  I am trying to figure out how to lock it in place (without resorting to zip ties or something) so I can use the boat without wedge until the mechanic can look at it.  Im afraid it still has enough motion to drop and cause some drag as it is now. 

The wedge is back up, it stays up where I put it but slight pressure and it moves down about 6 inches.  Im trying to find out why tightening the red bypass doesn't lock it back in place?  Im not familiar with how that actually works but from what I read on here when you tighten it it should stay where you put it?

11 hours ago, mbradburn said:

The wedge is back up, it stays up where I put it but slight pressure and it moves down about 6 inches.  Im trying to find out why tightening the red bypass doesn't lock it back in place?  Im not familiar with how that actually works but from what I read on here when you tighten it it should stay where you put it?

Almost sounds like the bypass is bleeding fluid past the valve.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mbradburn said:

How far did you loosen the screw?  If it is like an OMC trim/tilt pump, only about a quarter turn is enough to move it.  It sounds like the system has air in it and needs to be bled.

thanks!  trying to set up with the mechanic, any reason not to just zip tie the damn thing up to minimize any movement and use boat till I can get it in?

oh also, found the pdf from the manufacturer that states you can loosen the screw until it stops to move it, then tighten till it stops to lock back in place, then just put power back to it and it should be good to go providing it actually works. I did not loosen that much but definitely more than just 1/4 turn.