Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phase 5 Matrix vs Avenger

ajive

So last year many of you were raving about the Matrix.  I had that targeted for '21 as I need a nice skim on the boat to change up from the last few years of riding my soulcraft surf style exclusively.

I was looking today and also found the Avenger, which is supposed to be the same shape but a cheaper construction.  Anyone have experience with this lower tier of Phase 5 boards?  The season here is short and I'm pretty gentle on boards so if I can get away with a $400 board instead of an $800 option that would be preferable.  But I also don't want to skimp and be unhappy!

Advice?

I was one of those "sold" on the matrix last season due to it's popularity but never could get one in stock before the end of the season.  I'll likely buy shortly and ran across the new Avenger in my search.  It peaked my interest until I saw the weight rating up to 160lbs.  I had a 53 P5HH that I sold last season due to craziness people were willing to pay and almost got my money back after 3 seasons of use so I'll likely stick towards the matrix.  My current debacle is whether to stay 53 or jump to the 56.  I'm right over the line at 193lbs and could ride my HH with no problem but never could nail surface 360s.  I can on my hybrid cove wakesurfer but it has a higher stability rating.  I have to wonder if the increased length will help??

That said, if I was 160lbs, I'd definitely throw it in the rack as I think it hits a market and my wife would probably love it.  

9 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

I was one of those "sold" on the matrix last season due to it's popularity but never could get one in stock before the end of the season.  I'll likely buy shortly and ran across the new Avenger in my search.  It peaked my interest until I saw the weight rating up to 160lbs.  I had a 53 P5HH that I sold last season due to craziness people were willing to pay and almost got my money back after 3 seasons of use so I'll likely stick towards the matrix.  My current debacle is whether to stay 53 or jump to the 56.  I'm right over the line at 193lbs and could ride my HH with no problem but never could nail surface 360s.  I can on my hybrid cove wakesurfer but it has a higher stability rating.  I have to wonder if the increased length will help??

That said, if I was 160lbs, I'd definitely throw it in the rack as I think it hits a market and my wife would probably love it.  

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  I'm 140lbs so the lower weight recommendation is fine.  Not as much for some of my regulars, but they can buy their own damn boards :lol:

I found an avenger in stock for $365, I think I'm gonna just do it.  Will give me something to look at while I wait for the winter to pass.

1 hour ago, ajive said:

So last year many of you were raving about the Matrix.  I had that targeted for '21 as I need a nice skim on the boat to change up from the last few years of riding my soulcraft surf style exclusively.

I was looking today and also found the Avenger, which is supposed to be the same shape but a cheaper construction.  Anyone have experience with this lower tier of Phase 5 boards?  The season here is short and I'm pretty gentle on boards so if I can get away with a $400 board instead of an $800 option that would be preferable.  But I also don't want to skimp and be unhappy!

Advice?

I would think the most noticeable difference would be the weight of the board between the Matrix and Avenger.  I think the cheaper construction impacts the weight of the board more than the durability of it.  

11 minutes ago, ajive said:

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  I'm 140lbs so the lower weight recommendation is fine.  Not as much for some of my regulars, but they can buy their own damn boards :lol:

I found an avenger in stock for $365, I think I'm gonna just do it.  Will give me something to look at while I wait for the winter to pass.

At $365 I may consider it for my wife/daughter.  My wife will ride whatever boards already in the water and my daughter is 14 and 5'8 and rides a P5 scamp.  She's a string bean and I tried to get her something else last season but she loves the scamp.  May make this a 8th grade graduation present for my daughter and bday gift for my wife.  Two birds...one stone!  

We have both, my 19yr old daughters boards. I bought the Matrix first at the beginning of 2019 because all the reviews and recommendations.  Its a great board but then she tried a friends Avenger.  She really really liked it,  so of course I bought her one.  She says she just prefers the feel and ease of ride over the Matrix and easy to do tricks.  Sure the Matrix it built of way stronger materials but you can buy 2 Avengers for the price of one.  The Avenger has become the most popular board on our boat. 

I wouldn't worry about the weight limit.  They should call it a recommendation.

8 hours ago, wedge88 said:

The blunt nose and tail of the hammer head make it ride like a slightly longer board.  The more pointed nose/tail of the matrix will add some control but will sacrafices a little speed.  You might feel right at home on the 56" since it will have a similar outline to what you are used too.  If you are progressing your riding comfortable generating your own speed and working twords shuvs and bigger tricks you may want the 53"

• 1 year later...
thelaxskier

Hi guys! I have the same question. Im looking at the Matrix as well as the avenger for the same reasons. Im 6' 155lbs. Im worried that if i go with the avenger that it will be too small for me. All the pictures, videos, and reviews are all about teenagers loving the board. Let me know your opinions.

12 hours ago, thelaxskier said:

Hi guys! I have the same question. Im looking at the Matrix as well as the avenger for the same reasons. Im 6' 155lbs. Im worried that if i go with the avenger that it will be too small for me. All the pictures, videos, and reviews are all about teenagers loving the board. Let me know your opinions.

Maybe check out the MVP as well.  I have the MVP and like it because a smaller board actually holds more weight because of how the rails are designed on this board.  The 51" board is going to be cutting it close for both your height and weight.  I am also 155 but a little shorter than you at 5'6", 5'7" on a good day, and I ride the 50" board.  Since I am short, I like the shorter board which is one of the reasons I chose the MVP.  That and I also like the full pad. 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:42 PM, thelaxskier said:

Nothing about it makes the avenger a board specifically for teenagers.  Its a pretty classic shape.  Only thing to consider is at your hight if you ride low with a wide stance a 51" may feel short even though you are within its weight range.