Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 23LSV - Stereo Mods

Owensjoe1977

We own a 2020 Malibu 23LSV and found that the stereo while fine for the average person, lacks in quite a few areas. I enjoy the ability to change the treble/base and having the ability to turn down volume on different sets of speakers when towing. What I am not liking is the lack of adjustments to the Sub, Tower speakers and Cabin speakers. The Sub doesn't sound right, no matter how I dial it in. I went from an Exile system in our 2012 VTX, which was impressive. The sub is the lowest point here, and I am thinking it needs to be replaced. When looking over the house system, nothing is adjustable, and looks to me like If I replace them, the system won't work correctly (or at least that is my overall concern. I noticed a few adapters available, but wanted to create a thread and review others opinions here.

Current Setup:

1. 4 Cabin Speakers, 2 Bow Speakers
  2. 4 Tower Speakers
  3. 1 Sub

• When upgrading amps, did you need to upgrade the speakers? Speakers look good, I am getting the feeling power is the issue.
  • When upgrading, did you lose any functionality on the dash controls? I am concerned about losing any functions, outside of gaining a better quality sound.

Thanks for your time!

If you have a 2020 23, you should have 8 total cabin speakers, 4 cabin, 2 bow, 2 walkthrough. We just ordered our 2021 23 LSV, and we’re going to add our own amps since the stock ones are dsp and non adjustable. We’re only keeping the stock cabin speakers powering them with an sdx4, going with 4 rev 10’s powered by an sdx2, 2 Revo xxx 12” subs each powered by a syn dx 2.3. I had to order the adapters from exile audio in order to go from the dsp plugs to rcas. Still trying to figure out how I’m going to connect the preexisting speakers to the sdx4. 

Oh your right, forgot about the walk through. So exile adapters and amps. In other words, I would need 3ea 4 channel amps, and a Mono to power our system. It appears that I only have 3 boxes. 2-large and one small.

Have you tested the adapters?

Are you planning on running all 8ea speakers on a 4 channel?

Edited by Owensjoe1977
3 hours ago, Owensjoe1977 said:

Oh your right, forgot about the walk through. So exile adapters and amps. In other words, I would need 3ea 4 channel amps, and a Mono to power our system. It appears that I only have 3 boxes. 2-large and one small.

Have you tested the adapters?

Are you planning on running all 8ea speakers on a 4 channel?

Ideally, I would run an amp for tower speakers, an amp for cabin speakers, and an amp(s) for subwoofer(s). I am going to designate each channel on the sdx4 (4 channel) to a pair of speakers. The rms of the cabin speakers is 150watts, and the sdx4 does I believe 340 watts at 2 ohms per channel, so that works well. Via that you have the smaller 6.5 inch walkthru speakers, you may want to go with sdx6 to get the most out of all of the speakers, if you went sdx4 you would have to have the pair that are paired with the walkthru speakers turned down to avoid blowing them. I have not yet used the exile adapters, but many people have, and I hear they work well. I got them in, and they have all of the needed rcas, plus a remote wire. 

The sdx2 is a 2 channel amp that powers my 4 rev 10’s, a pair per channel parallel to 2 ohm at a little more than 600 watts. And the syn dx 2.3’s are also 2 channel amps, they do 1200 watts bridged at 4 ohm. 

On 1/21/2021 at 11:08 AM, Brandonloos21 said:

Still trying to figure out how I’m going to connect the preexisting speakers to the sdx4. 

even the speaker wire output blocks on the amp to speaker wire connection are a problem going from dsp to non dsp? 

2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

even the speaker wire output blocks on the amp to speaker wire connection are a problem going from dsp to non dsp? 

Sadly yes, they have them put into a plug that directly plugs into the dsp amps. Most likely going to depin them (unless I can find out what plug it is)

4 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Sadly yes, they have them put into a plug that directly plugs into the dsp amps. Most likely going to depin them (unless I can find out what plug it is)

Interior speaker plug: Digikey

Pins for plug: Digikey You need 8 but I'd get extra.

• Like 1
On 1/20/2021 at 9:53 AM, Owensjoe1977 said:

We own a 2020 Malibu 23LSV and found that the stereo while fine for the average person, lacks in quite a few areas. I enjoy the ability to change the treble/base and having the ability to turn down volume on different sets of speakers when towing. What I am not liking is the lack of adjustments to the Sub, Tower speakers and Cabin speakers. The Sub doesn't sound right, no matter how I dial it in. I went from an Exile system in our 2012 VTX, which was impressive. The sub is the lowest point here, and I am thinking it needs to be replaced. When looking over the house system, nothing is adjustable, and looks to me like If I replace them, the system won't work correctly (or at least that is my overall concern. I noticed a few adapters available, but wanted to create a thread and review others opinions here.

Current Setup:

1. 4 Cabin Speakers, 2 Bow Speakers
  2. 4 Tower Speakers
  3. 1 Sub

• When upgrading amps, did you need to upgrade the speakers? Speakers look good, I am getting the feeling power is the issue.
  • When upgrading, did you lose any functionality on the dash controls? I am concerned about losing any functions, outside of gaining a better quality sound.

Thanks for your time!

The easiest (and cheapest) option would be to...

• Replace inboat and sub amp with a Wetsounds SYNDX6.  4 channels for the inboats and 2 channels bridged for the subwooder.  You will not have any problem running the 6.5in walkthrough speakers together with the 8in bow speakers.
  • Replace tower speaker amp with either a SYNDX2.3HP (for REV speakers) or a SYNDX2 (for Icon speakers)
  • Follow IXFE's "Rip and Replace" thread HERE on how to build a much better sub box for your existing sub (A Must).  You can also check out his dual sub thread HERE, only change I would make is using a SYNDX2.3HP (marine grade) instead of the JL Audio HD1200 (non-marine grade) he used.  If you decide to upgrade your sub and use a dedicated amp, then you can use a SYNDX4 for your inboat speakers.

Instructions for making your own adapters are HERE.  If you are not comfortable soldering, the Exile ones will work just fine.  If you're willing to wait a month-ish, I might have come up with a new, more elegant solution to both of these options.

Edited by LSVRIDER1
1 hour ago, LSVRIDER1 said:

Interior speaker plug: Digikey

Pins for plug: Digikey You need 8 but I'd get extra.

Just went ahead and ordered the plug and some pins, let’s see how this goes. If it’s not bad I might make a bunch and sell some off. Surprised exile doesn’t make them..

Exile only makes two plugs. You are still going to have to cut the other plugs to wire up to you new amps, which will void the warranty. The Plugs that exile makes only lets you keep the factory integration. I had a forum member make me all the plugs I need so I did not loose my warranty.