Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 VTX engine?

My boat is at the marina and I am trying to buy the parts before taking it out of the water.  The title says 330 HP.  Would the model be the LS7, LS2, LS3, LY6, or L96?  I emailed malibu the HIN.  I thought they would be able to give me the answer, but it has been several days.

11 minutes ago, Jnorris said:

My boat is at the marina and I am trying to buy the parts before taking it out of the water.  The title says 330 HP.  Would the model be the LS7, LS2, LS3, LY6, or L96?  I emailed malibu the HIN.  I thought they would be able to give me the answer, but it has been several days.

330HP isn't supposed to be an option for a 2012 VTX.  Your local dealer should be able to look up a build sheet based on HIN

The 350HP looks like this - early build 2012 models like mine don't have the 350 SS red lettering on the plenum and red plenum top like later models do.

Not sure visually what the difference is with a 410.

A 330/340 has a more triangular plastic cover over the engine.

Do you have any for sale photos from when you bought it?  Most folks take an engine picture

The 410 is an L96

The 350 is a straight 5.7L multiport injection

malibu-20-vtx-55055010130348486754515467664566x.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

I am planning on changing the plugs, oil/filter, and impeller.  The engine cover does not look like those.  It is black plastic, flat edge over the dist cap and rounded toward the rear i think.

4 minutes ago, Jnorris said:

I am planning on changing the plugs, oil/filter, and impeller.  The engine cover does not look like those.  It is black plastic, flat edge over the dist cap and rounded toward the rear i think.

You sure your boat is a 2012?

You are going to need a picture - and the HIN wouldn't hurt, just to see what the build date actually is.

9 minutes ago, Jnorris said:

It is 2012 model built in 2011

HIN MB2F4691I112

motor number 167486

I guess you will need pictures.  According to the brochure that engine was not available in that boat in 2012 at all.  But being built in Sept maybe they were using up whatever was laying around since that was the standard engine in the 2011 model.  Out of curiosity, does your boat have a backup keyswitch on the breaker panel?

Edited by oldjeep
10 minutes ago, Jnorris said:

I don't know about the backup keyswitch.

Make sure you look.  Because if that touchscreen delaminates and you don't have one then the boat is dead until you get a new screen or install the backup key.  2011 VTX didn't have one and given the engine situation in your 2012 it is possible that they just kept building them the same way they built the 2011's for a while.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

There were four Indmar engines available for Malibu boats in 2012: the Monsoon 350, the 5.7L LCR, the L96, and the LSA.

According to your serial number, the Indmar engine in your VTX is the 5.7L LCR.

Here are some of the parts you asked about from Indmar:

751106, WIRE SET BLACK SB HVS

556345GM, CAP HVS (HIGH VOLTAGE SWITCH)

556346, ROTOR HVS (HIGH VOLTAGE SWITCH

556199, SPARK PLUG(41-993)MN IRIDIUM SINGLE PLUG

495001, KIT IMPELLER SERVICE

872023-1, INDMAR OIL FILTER GM 5.7, 8.1,454 SINGLE

Many of these parts are also available from other sources if you don't have an Indmar dealer nearby or if you want to order them online.

• Like 4