Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 RLXi Computer Diagnostics?

My boat seems to be running rough but no error codes, etc.  Wondering if this model can be connected to modern computer diagnostics tools (ruggedized laptops, etc) like are available in the automotive world to determine advanced cylinder by cylinder diagnostics, etc?  I tried running a search on this site but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance, Lowell

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My 99 has been hooked up and efi remapped.  Talk to your dealer.

I wonder if that's something a do it yourselfer could do? Maybe get the program on a flash drive or file and upload to the ECM? It would be nice if there is an updated version that maybe makes some minor adjustments or does a factory re-set, etc.

Steve B.

18 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I wonder if that's something a do it yourselfer could do? Maybe get the program on a flash drive or file and upload to the ECM? It would be nice if there is an updated version that maybe makes some minor adjustments or does a factory re-set, etc.

Steve B.

Got a few hundred bucks and a laptop?  https://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm  Click on the Diacom link.

Edited by Eagleboy99
Answering my own question...
22 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That'll let you view stuff but not twiddle with anything (other than resetting the fault codes)

Hmmmm... that is the exact system my dealer uses.  Maybe there is a Malibu module add-on?

13 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Hmmmm... that is the exact system my dealer uses.  Maybe there is a Malibu module add-on?

No idea - except that there is no "Malibu"  it's an indmar, mercury, pcm callibration on a GM ECU. 

There is a download calibration file and upload calibration file option - so maybe you can twiddle with those manually and then re-upload.  There is nothing I have ever found in diacom that would be a usable interface (Like power commander) for tweaking anything.

I'd look and see what comes of downloading that, but not quite bored enough to uncover the boat to do it ;)

Edited by oldjeep
15 hours ago, lrust said:

My boat seems to be running rough but no error codes, etc.  Wondering if this model can be connected to modern computer diagnostics tools (ruggedized laptops, etc) like are available in the automotive world to determine advanced cylinder by cylinder diagnostics, etc?  I tried running a search on this site but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance, Lowell

Out of curiosity, have you done the basics?  plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean spark arrestor?

• Like 2
21 hours ago, lrust said:

My boat seems to be running rough but no error codes, etc.  Wondering if this model can be connected to modern computer diagnostics tools (ruggedized laptops, etc) like are available in the automotive world to determine advanced cylinder by cylinder diagnostics, etc?

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Out of curiosity, have you done the basics?  plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean spark arrestor?

@oldjeep has some good advice here...you didn't say if you've exhausted any of the basics yet, but don't discount basic preventive maintenance (especially old plug wires that look perfect) as the culprit.  There is a thread here about someone who did a LOT of work and money troubleshooting an issue and in the end it was the darned spark plugs.  Spark plugs, cap and rotor are cheap.  Admittedly wires are a bit more expensive but it has been documented that the resistance changes over time, so they are a consumable.  Your boat is also an old enough model that I'd definitely consider replacing the coil if it has a single coil setup.

My 2 cents, do the following if they haven't been done recently or on an actual maintenance schedule:

• Replace spark plugs
  • Replace cap & rotor
  • Replace spark plug wires
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Clean throttle body (& spark arrestor if installed)
  • Inspect & clean (replace?) IAC valve
Edited by formulaben
  • Like 2

Id start with looking at the existing spark plugs... are they lean? rich? look normal?  then check fuel pressure. also, isn't a common problem on this era boat with the screen filter in the fuel pump clogging up? ignition module, clean throttle body, replace fuel filter.