Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

6.2 410 raptor vs the Md5;6i

Dwake

Ok, I been searching and I know the specs but anybody got an side by side or actually own the same boat with the 410 and then how got some hours behind the wheel with the md5 or 6?  Not looking for opinion but actual hands on.

I got a 2018 23 lsv with the 410. I want to demo a 2021 lsv 23  with the md5.

with the 2018 I run 3800-4100 rpm when surfing.  It’s freaking loud.

im hearing with the md5 or 6 I will be running lower because of the torque curve of the engine.  But I’m seeing same peak curve as the 410.

So it’s probably just going from 15.5 to 17 on the prop.

I have the M5 with the 1.76: 1 trans and the 15” prop so I can’t offer any advice. What I would suggest is that the most telling test you could probably perform with the M5 would be to get a boat with the same power plant/trans/prop. Fill the MLS and pnp and max wedge it to see if the M5 will work for you. For me, my M5 works great for surfing albeit a little high on the rpm. For wake boarding, it was struggling with the pnp full and 2 people.

The M5 in the 2021 23LSV far outperforms the 410 in previous years...  BUT the big difference is the 2021 will have a 2:1 trans with a 17 prop, so it definitely helps out.  Not truly a fair comparison, but if are coming out of an 18, you will be impressed

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2
On 1/15/2021 at 6:44 PM, wakebrdr94 said:

The M5 in the 2021 23LSV far outperforms the 410 in previous years...  BUT the big difference is the 2021 will have a 2:1 trans with a 17 prop, so it definitely helps out.  Not truly a fair comparison, but if are coming out of an 18, you will be impressed

The 2020’s have the2:1 and the 17 prop

I went from a 16 lsv 25 with a raptor 450 to a 20 axis a24 with a m6. The ford motors are so much louder and feel like they have less power since the power is so high in the power band. Fuel consumption is better with the m motors also. 

if you get the m5 with that boat...you'll need the high altitude prop so I'd recommend getting the biggest engine available.  I put a m6 in a 22 lsv to avoid needing the high altitude prop and the resultant high rpm and pretty limited top speed. the upcharge is 5950 and a minus $300 for the standard prop.