Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Wakesetter VLX - Wedge and Cover


ChadFulton

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone! Just bought my first boat. 2001 Wakesetter VLX with about 320 hours. In great shape and runs strong, but I need a couple things and was hoping you could help.

1. Previous owner took the wedge off and lost it. Any tips on buying a wedge? Can't seem to find them online. 

2. Does not have a cover. Best cover? Not sure where to start.

Link to post

Here is a link to the Floating wedge which should work for you:
https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-boats-auto-set-floating-wedge.html

Cover....Check out Evolution cover - I don't have one by many people swear by them.  It is custom made and great quality from what I hear.

Oh and welcome to the forums - We are possibly moving to the Lake Norman area in the next year or so, so maybe we will see you out there!

Edited by gahvey
Link to post

Thank you for the help! We just moved from TX. Loving it so far. ready to get out on the lake. 

Link to post

Congrats on the boat purchase! '01 VLX is a great crossover boat.

I don't believe that floating wedge will work with the bracket from 2001, assuming the bracket is still in place. 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, John I. said:

Congrats on the boat purchase! '01 VLX is a great crossover boat.

I don't believe that floating wedge will work with the bracket from 2001, assuming the bracket is still in place. 

Thanks! Felt like a good starter boat too... $20,500 including tandem axle trailer with swing away tongue. Hard to beat a boat that is paid for!

Yes, bracket is still in place. Any suggestions? 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, jtryon said:

wow that boat is clean.  nice find.

Thanks! A local used car dealer bought it off a friend who needed the money to help her out. But, he knew nothing about boats and had no clue what he had his hands on. Just thought is was some 20 year old ski boat. He was asking $25k. I offered $20k and after some shrewd negation we met right in the middle at $20,500 ;-)

Aside from the carpet being soaked for several days due to being out in the rain with no cover, it is pretty pristine! 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Boat looks very clean, especially for one that has been around (California registration).

This is the wedge you need, although not currently available.  

Link to post

Look into the westland exact fit cover from Bald Mikes.  I had mine within a week when I ordered a few years ago.  It has held up pretty nicely and the fit around my boat and tower was very good.  Also, the pricing cant be beat.

I also hear the evolution covers are great, but the lead time is fairly long and I'm guessing the OP needs something quickly.

Link to post
14 minutes ago, cla10beck said:

Look into the westland exact fit cover from Bald Mikes.  I had mine within a week when I ordered a few years ago.  It has held up pretty nicely and the fit around my boat and tower was very good.  Also, the pricing cant be beat.

I also hear the evolution covers are great, but the lead time is fairly long and I'm guessing the OP needs something quickly.

I just ordered that one from Bald Mikes! Evo looked cool but I need it quickly and liked the pricing on Bald Mikes. Glad to hear yours held up well. Thank you!

Link to post
RedWakesetterVLX
On 1/15/2021 at 4:34 PM, ChadFulton said:

I just ordered that one from Bald Mikes! Evo looked cool but I need it quickly and liked the pricing on Bald Mikes. Glad to hear yours held up well. Thank you!

Post some pics and reviews of the cover when it comes in. 

Link to post

I haven't tried mine without, but I am pretty sure they do.  When I had my DD, I just used a pvc pipe over the tow pylon and it worked out well.  With my Vdrive, I use a PVC pipe over the table post.  Here are the pictures.

I did need to have a local canvas shop add small tabs around the tower openings as the water would run down the cover into those holes.  I also have some PVC over my ski pylon but that probably isn’t needed.  

996CD16A-8DB3-4969-9C6D-A7DE79FCD844.jpeg

73DD0F5C-6CF7-4A5A-8F10-CEF950F31283.jpeg

Edited by cla10beck
Link to post
1 hour ago, PaulH86 said:

I'm in the market for a new cover.  Do the covers ordered from Bald Mikes need the puddle poles?

They offer various puddle pole options as an add-on when you check out, but you can always add them on later. I opted not to get them while I do a little research into other puddle pole options or making my own with PVC or something. 

I got a cheap Walmart universal cover until the custom one comes in. Put a plastic saw horse in the bow and a chair in the stern. Got the job done!

Link to post
13 minutes ago, ChadFulton said:

They offer various puddle pole options as an add-on when you check out, but you can always add them on later. I opted not to get them while I do a little research into other puddle pole options or making my own with PVC or something. 

I got a cheap Walmart universal cover until the custom one comes in. Put a plastic saw horse in the bow and a chair in the stern. Got the job done!

This:  http://hangtyte.com/Home_Page.html  OR make your own similar.  The PVC supprts are great for towerless boats though.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...