Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which boat to buy?

Boatbuyer

Hey guys, I am planning on buying a boat for our 5 person family, 3 teens and 2 adults. We have been able to teach all three to ski on friends and family’s boats and were looking to purchase our own. The kids are beginner skiers and will not being doing any slalom courses, just a bit of recreational fun. They are also keen to learn to wake surf, and one likes to wakeboard, but again purely recreational, I can’t see him doing any backflips anytime soon😂. I am looking at a second hand ‘16 20 VTX,  as it is within our price range and seems to be able to fill our needs. At most I think it would be us and 2-4 friends so the small size wouldn’t worry us. It would be useful having more room and storage, but it isn’t needed. Performance over size basically. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Sounds as though you've nailed it.  The VTX or a 21 VLX would probably fit the bill nicely, with the VTX getting the nod for better slalom performance and a bit nicer accoutrements.

• Like 2

Also, I know a Malibu discussion board isn’t the place to ask but would a Matrix MXV or Camero vision 21v be worth a look at?  they are a bit cheaper, but I know they don’t resale as will and don’t have quite as good tech or quality of a Malibu

I know you say size doesn't bother you, but I'd suggest taking the whole family to the boat store and climbing in some different sized boats to see how the family fits. Remember that people will be constantly moving around.  I think if it's just the five of you the VTX would be good, but if you start adding people it will get tight fast. I think of a 20 foot boat as one family, a 22 foot boat as two families, and a 24 foot boat as three families.  Make sure you get something with surfgate.

• Like 3

Yes it would be good to get to a boat store, but unfortunately due to covid and our location, the nearest boat stores are quite a drive away and under covid lockdown. I also feel the larger boat’s wake would be a bit to menacing to beginners.  How does the 21/22 ski wake compare to the vtx?

There was a hull change on at least the ‘16 VTX that made it more surf friendly vs ski friendly vs. ‘15 and earlier. I think it is probably not noticeable for a recreational skier, but a slightly more advanced skier it would be noticeable.  Regardless of the model/year unless you are looking at a TXi the boat probably won’t improve your skiing. 

I had a ‘13 VTX, loved it, skied moderately well, surfed great for a 20’ boat, but was a bit tight with more than 6-8 people in the boat. The extra beam on the VLX and length will make a difference in the cabin for a “2 family boat”. The VTX was a perfect boat for my 4 person family and a few other kids/adults. 

The pickle fork on the MLX or MXZ will provide extra seating in the bow, but lots of folks (me included) don’t let kids sit up there while underway, maybe a couple of adults. 

the ‘16 would still be a great boat! Surf gates, PWII, updated screens. 

Anyone got any experience with the 21 or 22 VLX ski wake vs the 20 VTX? I assume the VTX is better, but to a novice teen skier would the VLX be to big?

4 hours ago, Boatbuyer said:

Anyone got any experience with the 21 or 22 VLX ski wake vs the 20 VTX? I assume the VTX is better, but to a novice teen skier would the VLX be to big?

On 7/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, Hemmy said:

Here are some pics from my 2017 VLX.  The first one is with the front ballast full at 32 mph.

9AA34C75-548A-41E9-8CD1-A35C23D17141.thumb.jpeg.dcdb98ee7cbd52d37ab46b2d1266e6e9.jpeg

32 mph all ballast empty.

C71C1BBE-FF5A-4DA8-A50D-6AF6A2A7CAA9.thumb.jpeg.f9cf233adb9b8d39e52a261e88ca3c7e.jpeg

4 hours ago, Boatbuyer said:

You probably need to help us with what you are skiing behind now (DD, V-Drive,I/O) and how you ski. Do you turn into the wakes, let up a bit and ride over them with the ski somewhat flat, or do you turn, accelerate, and hold an edge through the wakes? 

20 foot boats are very small and without listing the older hulls 15 and earlier are small short waves as well.  i think 20 footers are at best 3 person boats unless someone is willing to STAY in the bow.  if two are in bow which will significantly improve ski wake, more in cabin will ruin it 

11 hours ago, rakr said:

You probably need to help us with what you are skiing behind now (DD, V-Drive,I/O) and how you ski. Do you turn into the wakes, let up a bit and ride over them with the ski somewhat flat, or do you turn, accelerate, and hold an edge through the wakes? 

We haven’t owned a boat before, but have skied behind Camero DD’s and Malibu sunsetters, as novice skiers I can’t say we notice extreme differences, just that the Malibu’s wake is larger and harder to cut through. And for the ski style, we ride over the wake a with the ski flat, but I’m sure with more access to a boat of our own we could learn to turn sharper and quicker in a more slalom style. 

18 hours ago, Boatbuyer said:

We haven’t owned a boat before, but have skied behind Camero DD’s and Malibu sunsetters, as novice skiers I can’t say we notice extreme differences, just that the Malibu’s wake is larger and harder to cut through. And for the ski style, we ride over the wake a with the ski flat, but I’m sure with more access to a boat of our own we could learn to turn sharper and quicker in a more slalom style. 

if that ski skill building is what your looking for dont by a v drive, my wife cuts a good ski rug but over our wake she goes pretty flat and she has been slalom skiing since the early eighties 

we never tried bow ballast to help but at her speed 28 it probably wouldn't make enough diff anyway, i need to try it with bow ballast and get rid of my cabin lead  but it will never be great.  you could get a vtx as mentioned above and do well but dont kid yourself on the size of a 20 ft boat, my a20 has a very comfy bow as a pickle fork but in dead heat summer and sunshine, folks gravitate to cabin 

On 1/15/2021 at 1:16 AM, Boatbuyer said:

We had a 2016 22 VLX that I taught my teenagers to ski behind and it was just fine for recreational skiing and was terrific for surfing.