Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sportster LX Interior Removal

Robertm017

Hi all, new to forum but long time Malibu owner.  I am looking to have my interior redone and need to remove the panels.  I did a search here but did not see any related information.  While many of the panels seem self explanatory, the rear seat back and the open bow seat back do not.  As to the rear back, we can see a bolt from the underneath side at the top on each side (see pic link). I believe we can reach those after removing the side panels first.  Are there any other things we should know?  As far as the open bow, we can see many screw posts coming straight down from underneath but the part in front of driver does not provide the clearance to get under there (see pic link for referenced area).  I would guess the panel blocking access needs to be removed but can't tell where the screws are that hold it in.  Thoughts?  Thanks...

https://imgur.com/Lygqn1m

https://imgur.com/Iomyxh2

Edited by Robertm017
1 hour ago, Robertm017 said:

Hi all, new to forum but long time Malibu owner.  I am looking to have my interior redone and need to remove the panels.  I did a search here but did not see any related information.  While many of the panels seem self explanatory, the rear seat back and the open bow seat back do not.  As to the rear back, we can see a bolt from the underneath side at the top on each side (see pic link). I believe we can reach those after removing the side panels first.  Are there any other things we should know?  As far as the open bow, we can see many screw posts coming straight down from underneath but the part in front of driver does not provide the clearance to get under there (see pic link for referenced area).  I would guess the panel blocking access needs to be removed but can't tell where the screws are that hold it in.  Thoughts?  Thanks...

You all find some stainless screws through the fiberglass wall into the cushions.  Take a flashlight and you will see them.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Ha, I wish that was my interior. As I didn't have recent pics I just found some on the net that were probably of a new boat at the time.

As far as the screws through the fiberglass, are you referring to the open bow or the rear seat back? I looked for screws earlier through the fiberglass under the dash and didn't see any, but will take a deeper look tomorrow. 

it's been a couple decades but, iirc, rear seat lean-back is held in w half a dozen studs protruding from the top of the padded lean-back.

remove the blower vent from the top of the transom to access the center-ish locations.

just a long / painful reach around from the sides to access the outer studs.

wag: front lean-backs are going to be attached in the same fashion.

caution: lots of raw fiberglass edges that will bite you.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Robertm017 said:

You can add ".jpg" to the end of the URL when you insert pictures from imgur....

Lygqn1m.jpg

Iomyxh2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So thanks again all.  I was able to remove all upholstered panels.  The screws for the open bow facing the driver were in fact easy to see and remove from under the dash.  As to the rear seat back, as @tvano indicated, when I removed the vent on the top side of the back deck, I was able to reach the other screws.  But of course, there were casualties :(.  It seems odd the bilge blower motor is right there next to the vent box under the rear deck.  So when removed the vent lid and dropped the vent box, the fume hose cracked in several places being so old.  I guess I will now have to remove the gas tank to get behind where the fume hose goes to replace it?  I also guess it runs under the floor to the side of the bilge?  I hope I can easily see how to get to the necessary places to replace the hose.  I am thinking of using dryer vent like hose for this or something like this Amazon - New Boat Vent Bilge Blower Exhaust Hose 3"- 10 Feet.  All thoughts welcome as I again venture into the Malibu unknown......

21 hours ago, Robertm017 said:

So thanks again all.  I was able to remove all upholstered panels.  The screws for the open bow facing the driver were in fact easy to see and remove from under the dash.  As to the rear seat back, as @tvano indicated, when I removed the vent on the top side of the back deck, I was able to reach the other screws.  But of course, there were casualties :(.  It seems odd the bilge blower motor is right there next to the vent box under the rear deck.  So when removed the vent lid and dropped the vent box, the fume hose cracked in several places being so old.  I guess I will now have to remove the gas tank to get behind where the fume hose goes to replace it?  I also guess it runs under the floor to the side of the bilge?  I hope I can easily see how to get to the necessary places to replace the hose.  I am thinking of using dryer vent like hose for this or something like this Amazon - New Boat Vent Bilge Blower Exhaust Hose 3"- 10 Feet.  All thoughts welcome as I again venture into the Malibu unknown......

Yes that will work.  Those hoses get old quickly in that hot compartment.  Good time to check your heater hoses and fuel lines for cracks. 

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Use the bilge hose, and definitely replace the fuel lines while you are in there and of the heater hoses (if you have them).  You might as well remove the fuel tank while you are in there.  When I re-did my whole Tantrum (basically same lower hull as Sporster and same running gear) I replaced everything.  Fuel hose and bilge hose is not expensive.  I also removed the fuel tank and cleaned absolutely everything.

1 hour ago, solorex said:

Use the bilge hose, and definitely replace the fuel lines while you are in there and of the heater hoses (if you have them).  You might as well remove the fuel tank while you are in there.  When I re-did my whole Tantrum (basically same lower hull as Sporster and same running gear) I replaced everything.  Fuel hose and bilge hose is not expensive.  I also removed the fuel tank and cleaned absolutely everything.

Heck, change the exhaust host too!