Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo set up help

LakePTDoc

I bought a 2016 20VTX last summer with the Rockford Fosgate speakers inside the boat and WS Rev 8’s on the tower.  I have seen there are zone controls on the factory controls and ways to increase the sound output to the tower speakers without blasting the people in the boat.  Any advice on sound set up or any manuals out there on the stereo options.  The owners manual does not seem to have much info on how to do it.  Thanks.

DA62681F-0240-4087-AB27-FFBC2C5559D3.jpeg

I do not recall the 2016 MY having zone control. IIRC, it was on the 2017's when Bu moved to the Medallion black box. If zone control appears on the Maliview, does it look ghosted/shaded? If so, may need to see a Bu dealer. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No zone control in 2016. 

Best bet is to add an equalizer like the wetsounds 420

will provide full interior/tower/sub controls. 

About $450+ install. 

not cheap, but worth it. 

this is the direction I’m going with my 16 also. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 10:31 AM, dhcomp said:

No zone control in 2016. 

About $450+ install. 

not cheap, but worth it. 

I have an 18 but want to add an EQ to clean up the sound of the interior speakers and the sub. Did you install yours?  Recommendations? 

I did mine.  But 2018 is a different beast.

Do you just want EQ, or are you planning further upgrades?

2018 has proprietary signal plugs going into the amp, so it's a lot harder to splice an EQ in between.

If you are looking to upgrade amps, now would be the time.  Much easier to add EQ and upgrade amps at the same time, although, it will be spendy.

2 hours ago, dhcomp said:

I did mine.  But 2018 is a different beast.

Do you just want EQ, or are you planning further upgrades?

2018 has proprietary signal plugs going into the amp, so it's a lot harder to splice an EQ in between.

If you are looking to upgrade amps, now would be the time.  Much easier to add EQ and upgrade amps at the same time, although, it will be spendy.

FAK. That’s what I was afraid of. I wanted a quick fix to clean up the sound of the interior speakers. Don’t think I’m gonna invest in amps and REVs as I’ll likely be trading it in next year. Thanks for the response and have a great summer!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 with the RF black box.  Everything else I put in (all Wetsounds, Rev 10's on the tower, XS808's and 650's in the cabin, SYn4 and 6 amps).  But, I get zone control in it, albeit it is clunky to the point of being unusable........

Anyway, had a 420 in my 2011 (Axis), but everything was stand alone, nothing integrated.  Is there anything like the 420 that can integrate into the factory system?

On 3/21/2021 at 8:31 AM, dhcomp said:

No zone control in 2016. 

About $450+ install. 

not cheap, but worth it. 

After tearing my 2016 apart, there IS some level of 2 zone control built into the fosgate head unit. 2 zones of rca output, and 2 amp remote triggers. Didn’t dig to far into it, but in thr same spot you can adjust bass/treble on thr screen, there IS a second zone that can be controlled. 

I always forget where this is hiding in the screen, but it does exist. 

Never tested, as I setup a 420sq equalizer and only need one of the output zones. 

I think that zone-2 is for a 2nd media source zone. Great option for a boat with a cabin or like a houseboat with 2 levels. Each zone can play its own media. 

2 hours ago, MLA said:

I think that zone-2 is for a 2nd media source zone. Great option for a boat with a cabin or like a houseboat with 2 levels. Each zone can play its own media. 

When you go through treble, bass, etc. levels on the screen, it comes up to a zone 2 level.  Could be a second media source, but wierd that it would have its own level then.

Would be interesting to mess with, if i didn't just redo the whole setup.  

20 minutes ago, dhcomp said:

When you go through treble, bass, etc. levels on the screen, it comes up to a zone 2 level.  Could be a second media source, but wierd that it would have its own level then.

Would be interesting to mess with, if i didn't just redo the whole setup.  

Not weird at all. You would likely not want the same volume on your media playin in the salon as the main media volume in the cockpit.