Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

INDMAR sea strainer pro

ZorbaMalibu

Hi All,

I’ve looked through everything I can and can’t find an answer so sorry in advance if it has already been covered.

Has anyone installed and INDMAR sea strainer pro on a V drive boat?  I’ve got a 2003 21’ LSV Sunscape and I’m looking for install advice and if possible.  The strainer comes either straight through or a 90 at the inlet.  I was thinking I can go the 90 style straight out of the ball valve at the pick up, lay it horizontal towards the back then curl a hose back.  I was thinking this would also allow for easy inspection and maintenance.

I was then going to install a transom service port (I think it’s called) to attach a garden hose to the flush part of the strainer so I don’t have to run the hose over the side and scratch the gel coat.

Any thoughts or experience team?

Edited by ZorbaMalibu
On 1/11/2021 at 2:41 AM, ZorbaMalibu said:

Hi All,

I’ve looked through everything I can and can’t find an answer so sorry in advance if it has already been covered.

Has anyone installed and INDMAR sea strainer pro on a V drive boat?  I’ve got a 2003 21’ LSV Sunscape and I’m looking for install advice and if possible.  The strainer comes either straight through or a 90 at the inlet.  I was thinking I can go the 90 style straight out of the ball valve at the pick up, lay it horizontal towards the back then curl a hose back.  I was thinking this would also allow for easy inspection and maintenance.

I was then going to install a transom service port (I think it’s called) to attach a garden hose to the flush part of the strainer so I don’t have to run the hose over the side and scratch the gel coat.

Any thoughts or experience team?

I have one.  I bought the 90 degree thinking the same thing as you.  I got it to work but it’s a PITA.  The intake hose is very thick and lined with wire so it doesn’t bend easy on short runs which you having coming from the ball valve to the Vdrive intake.  The longer the hose run the easier to bend.  I recommend buying the straight fitting and installing it after the Vdrive and before the impeller water pump.  Also, it’s all plastic.  It’s held up fine but after looking I think there are better metal ones out there.

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX
  • Like 1

What other options would you suggest?  I’ve read a lot about flow restriction on other brands that’s why INDMAR have designed this with apparently next to no restriction.

8 minutes ago, ZorbaMalibu said:

What other options would you suggest?  I’ve read a lot about flow restriction on other brands that’s why INDMAR have designed this with apparently next to no restriction.

I’m not really sure. I looked into years ago but then just stayed with the Indmar one since I already dropped the $.   I just like the ideal of metal vs plastic.  Like I said it’s held up fine.

2 minutes ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

I’m not really sure. I looked into years ago but then just stayed with the Indmar one since I already dropped the $.   I just like the ideal of metal vs plastic.  Like I said it’s held up fine.

Ok cool as, I think I’ll give it a try. Anything will be better then nothing.  Any chance you have some pics of the install please?  All good if not.

Thanks for you input buddy, I appreciate it.

6 minutes ago, ZorbaMalibu said:

Ok cool as, I think I’ll give it a try. Anything will be better then nothing.  Any chance you have some pics of the install please?  All good if not.

Thanks for you input buddy, I appreciate it.

I don’t I just looked.  Sorry.  I’m going to redo this spring and I’ll take some. 

ahopkins22LSV

In my opinion, the strainer should be installed between the raw water intake in the bottom of the boat and whatever is the first point of entry on the engine/vdrive/transmission, whatever. Not after, if it’s going to strain anything out you want that before it gets into anything. 

• Like 1

I don't have a strainer, but I do have a one-way valve so I can use a garden hose to flush the engine.  My valve is just a 2" PVC one-way and a 2" X 3/4" tee to a garden hose, then 1-1/4" hose barbs on each end.  I have a direct drive, so I have a little more space to fit it all together.  The garden hose terminates high on the starboard transom a few inches away from the lift eye.  I used a Marpac 7-0418 fitting because it is stainless.  The other brands are chrome plated and look cheap.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, ZorbaMalibu said:

Buy this valve, get the appropriate barbs, and you'll have a much more robust setup.

40615-2.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, formulaben said:

Buy this valve, get the appropriate barbs, and you'll have a much more robust setup.

40615-2.jpg

I like that but I still need a strainer, that’s my biggest issue as we boat in a lot of weeds. Any suggestions that may suit simple application but mainly quality product?

10 minutes ago, formulaben said:

None that I know of.  I added the Sherwood to my boat, no issues at all.

Righto, cool. Thanks for your advice, I’ll look into it and see what I can find in Australia in a short time frame (need it by Tuesday 🤦🏻‍♂️)

15 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

In my opinion, the strainer should be installed between the raw water intake in the bottom of the boat and whatever is the first point of entry on the engine/vdrive/transmission, whatever. Not after, if it’s going to strain anything out you want that before it gets into anything. 

I agree with this as well but there just isn’t enough room to make it work in that part for me without making a much longer hose run to give me easy access.  It still will strain before the impeller just after the Vdrive.  Considering my 00 didn’t have a strainer for its first 18 years of life I’m good with it running after the Vdrive for easier access.  But with that said if you can make it work before the Vdrive by all means do it.  

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX
  • Like 2

Its real easy. Just buy an added length of new hose after pulling yours out at main in, to measure. Use existing hose cut shorter to tap back inline. Now you can see, by just lifting your seat, what comes in, or attach hose to run boat in driveway. So far, best $120 I have spent. But there were several other purchases the last three months! Currently I am extending my fuel line so filter is easier access. 

IMG_5936.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

55 minutes ago, THertner said:

Its real easy. Just buy an added length of new hose after pulling yours out at main in, to measure. Use existing hose cut shorter to tap back inline. Now you can see, by just lifting your seat, what comes in, or attach hose to run boat in driveway. So far, best $120 I have spent. But there were several other purchases the last three months! Currently I am extending my fuel line so filter is easier access. 

IMG_5936.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

My pick up (inlet) is on the right hand side of my v-drive.  I’ll need to have another look at my hull to see if what you have done will work for me.

Thanks for that.

4 hours ago, THertner said:

IMG_5936.jpeg

IMG_5933.jpeg

Mine and probably the OP’s inlet is about 6 inches away from the Vdrive on the starboard side.  Yours is several feet back which gives you more room to work with. 

• Like 1