Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tommy’s Acquired Boulder Boats

Hemmy

19 minutes ago, Slayer said:

WOW!  I knew something big was brewing with Tommy's.  I had no idea that they were buying up Boulder.  Is the Tommy's monopoly good for us, the consumer?

There is no competition anyways due to territories, so I assume it is good for local consumer since you now can buy more boats that are no where near your local dealer territory (I assume they will transfer boats from one location to another)

4 hours ago, Slayer said:

Is the Tommy's monopoly good for us, the consumer?

Most of your pressure in keeping the market "right" will be coming from other brands.  

ahopkins22LSV

I honestly would have never guessed this was coming. To me it doesn’t sound the same as when Tommy’s bought Skiers Pier here in Michigan. Sounds more like a merger. Will be interesting to see how this plays out and what it brings. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, oldjeep said:

There is no competition anyways due to territories, so I assume it is good for local consumer since you now can buy more boats that are no where near your local dealer territory (I assume they will transfer boats from one location to another)

They currently do this.  While I haven't seen them do it across state lines, I've seen them do it with the 3 outlets they have here in Michigan.  Interestingly, I've even seen them move inventory even when there's no immediate purchase.  

15 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Most of your pressure in keeping the market "right" will be coming from other brands.  

While I think you're generally correct with this thinking, the big three have the most coverage in our market.  We have nearly zero centurion presence here.  It's mostly MC, Nautique, and Malibu.  There's Moomba, Tige', and MB dealers in the state, but there are 5 Malibu dealers, 3 of which being Tommy's, 3 MC dealers, and 3 Nautique dealers.   

20 hours ago, Slayer said:

WOW!  I knew something big was brewing with Tommy's.  I had no idea that they were buying up Boulder.  Is the Tommy's monopoly good for us, the consumer?

i think we are learning this week in our  that all of this is bad  

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

They currently do this.  While I haven't seen them do it across state lines, I've seen them do it with the 3 outlets they have here in Michigan.  Interestingly, I've even seen them move inventory even when there's no immediate purchase.  

It’s been a long time since I bought my boat, but they sent it from Florida to Colorado. So At least in the past they would do it. 

Overall my experience with Tommy’s was very good. I’ve said it before. My boat had way too many issues the first two years and spent a lot of time having the kinks worked out. Tommy’s did a great job of taking care of anything. Made me more of a Tommy’s customer than a Malibu customer. 

Things have changed a lot at Tommy’s in the last couple of years but they still would be my first stop if I was looking to buy today. Regardless of what brand of boat they carried. 

7 minutes ago, RyanB said:

It’s been a long time since I bought my boat, but they sent it from Florida to Colorado. So At least in the past they would do it. 

Overall my experience with Tommy’s was very good. I’ve said it before. My boat had way too many issues the first two years and spent a lot of time having the kinks worked out. Tommy’s did a great job of taking care of anything. Made me more of a Tommy’s customer than a Malibu customer. 

Things have changed a lot at Tommy’s in the last couple of years but they still would be my first stop if I was looking to buy today. Regardless of what brand of boat they carried. 

That's good feedback.  My experience with service hasn't been the greatest.  However I did order my '21 from them so they have a chance to redeem themselves.  The sales and delivery experiences I've had since they purchased the former local dealer have been good, though.  The former dealer was not.

23 hours ago, Slayer said:

Has a monopoly ever been good for the consumer? 🤔 Kansas City power and light sure enjoys having one here in Kansas with constant rate increases.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
3 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Has a monopoly ever been good for the consumer? 🤔 Kansas City power and light sure enjoys having one here in Kansas with constant rate increases.

Not to get to far off subject, but how is being nearly half the national average high? National average is $0.136 KWH Evergy is $0.0735 KWH. 

Kind of a sore subject as I work for a utility and get fed up with people bitching about their electric prices. When we OG&E is 0.063 KWH and even our state as a whole's average is the 8th cheapest in the nation. 

Don't forget we (regulated utilities) are governed on how much we are allowed to charge and profit by politicians. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

Not to get to far off subject, but how is being nearly half the national average high? National average is $0.136 KWH Evergy is $0.0735 KWH. 

Kind of a sore subject as I work for a utility and get fed up with people bitching about their electric prices. When we OG&E is 0.063 KWH and even our state as a whole's average is the 8th cheapest in the nation. 

Don't forget we (regulated utilities) are governed on how much we are allowed to charge and profit by politicians. 

That's pretty good.  We are between 9 and 10 cents a KWH depending on the season. (I had to look it up - electricity costs what it costs)

20 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That's pretty good.  We are between 9 and 10 cents a KWH depending on the season. (I had to look it up - electricity costs what it costs)

It's really frustrating when people get pissed because they have high bills. But have no clue what their rates are.
It's like someone getting pissed because their fuel bill is high driving a vehicle that gets 4mpg but they blame the gas station who is charging $0.50 /gal. 

I had a great conversation with a buddy who moved to Houston (deregulated). He never realized ho cheap our electric was per KWH till he had to shop around for it. 

16 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

It's really frustrating when people get pissed because they have high bills. But have no clue what their rates are.
It's like someone getting pissed because their fuel bill is high driving a vehicle that gets 4mpg but they blame the gas station who is charging $0.50 /gal. 

I had a great conversation with a buddy who moved to Houston (deregulated). He never realized ho cheap our electric was per KWH till he had to shop around for it. 

Not sure that Houston is a great comparison.  The Houston market is only partially de-regulated.  Our "regulated utility" "delivery fees are about $.05 / KWH if I remember correctly.  On my commercial account, I pay more for the delivery fees than and load factors than I do for the actual energy (to a deregulated Retail Electric Provider).  At least with de-regulation on the retail side it allows for some strategic buying / hedging vs paying the same per kwh rate in a regulated market (I assume - been de-regulated here for so long I forget the old days!)

The other argument for de-regulation is that it breeds competition.  Things like customer service, billing options, competitive advantage, etc matter as much as the $$$ to many people.

12 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

I’m not pissed... just an example of a monopoly that is not good for the consumer. How about the Rockefeller oil company? Better?

8 hours ago, Slayer said:

Please elaborate....

control by large conpanies is wrecking this country, it is what the politicians want because the ever growing companies  fund these crooks,  you not watching the stripping of our first amendment rights this week?  bit of a stretch to the boat dealer  but with this china planned disease ,  dealers have been able to name their price (ok, its a capitalist system i love) but it is a trend that may move from capitalist to monopolistic behavior. i get it that there is brand choice and these companies are healthier than they have been in some time but my country and our freedoms are more important.  these large tech companies are relishing this gov control and are supporting it because it is extremely profitable snd they bet on their candidate snd are willing to strip our freedoms with monopolistic behavior to keep it

Edited by granddaddy55