Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Shopping Advice

Cabin Fever

Hi everyone.  I am in the market for a new(er) surf boat.  I previously owned a 2006 Malibu.  We are now into surfing but still cruise and tube.  

I'm focusing on 2013-2018 21-23 foot boats, primarily 23LSV though, and have one of interest, but it's a 2013, as well as another that is a 2015.  

My primary question is this --- has the surf gate and surf system improved alot every year?  Would I go wrong with a 2013 vs. a  2015, or should I really go for even newer?  I just want a good and reliable surf wave, with minimal fuss.  

If there are differences, any explanation would be great.  

Thanks!

If you are talking 23LSV, the 2013 is a different hull vs the 2015.  Also, 2015 would have better screens, and (I think) PowerWedge2.  

The older boats (like my 2014) are notorious for having screen delamination so take that as one additional thing to consider in your purchase.  A screen is over $2000, and they were backordered all summer.

Overall, I am happy with my 2014, but if I were buying today, and choosing between a 2013 and 2015, I would go 2015, without question.

Edited by RyanB
  • Like 3

RyanB,

Thank you very much, that is super helpful.  I have my eye on a cream puff 2013 and a really nice 2015.   Price diff is $10k and the $2-3k replacement would more than justify the savings, BUT if it means being down for the summer while waiting for replacement screen that would be the swing vote toward the 2015.   

I'm pretty sure in 2014 they upgraded the actuators on the surf gate and added the ability to switch sides on the fly.  2015 will have the better screens (they did have some problems with these initially as well) and power wedge 2 which is a nice upgrade.  I'd go 2015 if I had the option.