Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exterior Paint Color Upcharge

Sam8484

Hello,

I am working with a dealer to order a boat and they indicated there is a $1,547 (before any discounts) upcharge for any paint color on the boat's exterior besides white. I just wanted to make sure this upcharge is consistent with what others have seen. I was expecting an upcharge if I got a gel accent color, but not the gel base color.

Also, does anyone know if there is an upcharge on the scheme of flip side vs tricked out?

I am on a budget and just trying to avoid any unnecessary costs.

Thank you

Edited by Sam8484
ahopkins22LSV

That sounds right for flake, if I remember correctly it was about 1300 for my 2020 per panel so 1500  with the typical annual increase sounds right. Depending on the scheme for Axis you might have an upcharge as it includes the hull.

On our 2020 as long as the “deck base” and “hull base” sections were white and nothing is metallic then there was no up charge for gel colors.  In other words you can add all the color you want as long as the hull is white and the deck color (which includes what color the exposed interior fiber glass ends up being) is white and it shouldn’t cost you anything extra.

Edited by vaporbluebu
19 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

Here is our 2020:

31C4F421-E3C8-4D0C-863D-23132AD93C16.jpeg

24 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That sounds right for flake, if I remember correctly it was about 1300 for my 2020 per panel so 1500  with the typical annual increase sounds right. Depending on the scheme for Axis you might have an upcharge as it includes the hull.

Thanks for the replies - I am not trying to add any flake, which is why the incremental cost surprised me. See below for my sheet for the A20.

image.png

1 hour ago, Sam8484 said:

Thanks for the replies - I am not trying to add any flake, which is why the incremental cost surprised me. See below for my sheet for the A20.

image.png

Sorry, I didn’t realize it was an Axis you were building. Not sure how the pricing on those work.

ahopkins22LSV

Pretty sure that is an up charge because it includes the hull and the interior hull color. Which if I’m right on that, is cheaper than when you do that in a Malibu because it’s 1200ish for the hull and 1000ish for the interior.

anything on an Axis is an option!! except hull, windshield, drive train, controls and rudder, wiring snd tower

@Sam8484

i have a unicorn all white hull axis and default white interior with a combination of grey and black graphite accents with silver graphite bolster facings  

NO CHARGE😂

don't forget to order your cleats, i almost made that mistake and made the dealer add it at his cost to not have me cancel my rather large downpayment on my order , caught it as it was going to hull mold

Edited by granddaddy55
2 hours ago, Sam8484 said:

image.png

We ordered Nassau and Gunmetal metallic for our A22 and it was an MSRP of $1547 for each color upgrade. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the same colors. Nassau base, gunmetal accent on a T23. do you have any photos of those two colors.  Up charge is for any base color but white and then again for any metal flake.  white base with any non-metallic color would be no up charge.   Flip side vs tricked out are the same price.

Edited by MtnTrails

I dig those colors. Congrats on your new toy! We almost did a similar order but it gets way too hot where we are.

I know this isn't regarding the upcharge. What others have said is on point for upcharge. Honestly though; if it's what you want, don't sweat spending the extra, it's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of the overall cost, and you won't think back and wonder if you should have just done it. Plus it could help the selling price of your boat later down the road. Not that you'll ever want to sell it! But, your crew will probably grow... you may want a bigger boat eventually!

If you've never had black or dark surfaces in your boat. The black cushion panel, those get hot as heck in the sun, and it's a pita to get metal oxide based sun screens off of them with their texture, though it's not as bad as the '19 panel/accent texture, still a challenge though. I have dark blue ones in our boat and I have a good upholstery brush I use at the end of the season (Better Boat upholstery brush set) with vinyl sauce to get it off. Takes time and perseverance.

Generally, the dark hull is nice if you have the boat in the water over multiple days, it resists staining pretty well, but it does get hot in the sun, and water dries very fast on it.

Dark colors aren't so bad once you're wet either. If you live in a cooler climate or are going to use the boat in the "off-season" it can be nice to have a toasty interior.