Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bent Prop Blade on Used Boat

rakr

If it's running rough, I'd replace the usual suspects for a boat that age.

ICM

Cap and rotor

Plug wires

Plugs

Fuel filter(s)

If after all that it still seems rough, look into injector servicing.

If it's running rough I'd either negotiate a huge discount (after a compression test that you did) or tell the seller to call you when the boat runs right and you can test drive it again.

600 hours in 16 years could just indicate issues from sitting around unused - like bad gas.

Edited by oldjeep

Darn cold water test completed. It was a bit choppy, so not a great indicator of vibrations. 

boat sounded and ran really well. Still needs a tuneup, and some hoses are in need of replacement. Tommy’s said bad gas/sitting was probably the issue while running in the shop. 

The tech has spent a good bit of time with the boat and had good feedback about it. 

the wake looks awesome!!! Cant wait to rip some turns and make her purdy! 

Awesome... while the boat ran well there was a warning beep that fired up as soon as we got over 1000 RPMs. The tech in the boat said it probably wont be an issue. I had to either pay the balance today, or plan on taking the weekend to drive it back to Wisconsin. Dealership was going to get the code(s) after the water test on Wednesday. Of course that didn't happen, stalked them yesterday, nothing. sent a text to them this morning asking for an update, and then again just before I wired the balance of the money.

Dealership got back to me 5 minutes after I finished the wire, and said it was a fuel injector code, either stuck open or bad. Great... looks like in addition to all of the little stuff I knew was going to be done (tune up, steering cable, hoses, fluids, etc), ill be in for at least $500 more if the dealership does one, but I am sure they are going to want to do all of them :).

10 minutes ago, rakr said:

Awesome... while the boat ran well there was a warning beep that fired up as soon as we got over 1000 RPMs. The tech in the boat said it probably wont be an issue. I had to either pay the balance today, or plan on taking the weekend to drive it back to Wisconsin. Dealership was going to get the code(s) after the water test on Wednesday. Of course that didn't happen, stalked them yesterday, nothing. sent a text to them this morning asking for an update, and then again just before I wired the balance of the money.

Dealership got back to me 5 minutes after I finished the wire, and said it was a fuel injector code, either stuck open or bad. Great... looks like in addition to all of the little stuff I knew was going to be done (tune up, steering cable, hoses, fluids, etc), ill be in for at least $500 more if the dealership does one, but I am sure they are going to want to do all of them :).

Time to learn to turn your own wrenches.  Swapping injectors is pretty simple, and if it was my boat (and I was sure it was an injector issue)  I would pull all 8 and send them out for rebuild since it is winter and the boat will be parked.  For starters, get the actual code from Tommys.  Congrats?

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

If it were an oil pressure switch, why would it throw a fuel injector code?

Could be a spurious warning. Beeping above idle speed is almost always the oil pressure switch. At least on the older boats. 04 has a newer MEFI setup. 

I’m assuming as it is 17 years old, it might not be a bad idea to have them all serviced regardless. From some searching on here, doesn’t look super expensive.