Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much off MSRP?

lknmxz

Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to seeing what you build.  Logan and the LKN Marina guys are great.  I have bought three new boats off our dealer.  All have been stock boats so I don't have a good number to give you.  I would venture to say if you get in the low 20's on a new build - you did very well.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to seeing what you build.  Logan and the LKN Marina guys are great.  I have bought three new boats off our dealer.  All have been stock boats so I don't have a good number to give you.  I would venture to say if you get in the low 20's on a new build - you did very well.  

Particularly in this market. 

• Like 2

We were able to achieve mid 20’s after the year end sales discount (which I don’t think is currently going on), I would shoot for high 20’s in negotiation, and settle from mid to low 20’s!

Salesman at our local dealer said he couldn't even sell the boats on the floor, they were only for viewing. They are flying out the door. Oh, and mid 20% off MSRP looked like the trend. 

Steve B.

Agree if you’re in the 20s you’re winning. I almost got there but equipment took me out. Inland boat Co very fair to me so far, I’m, happy

• Like 2

And it really depends where you are trying to go.  Can you get another 1- 2k off - you may be able to.  But is it worth in the grand scheme - that's your call.  I like the thought of getting a good deal and having great rapport with the dealer - and they know there is a good chance you'll be back for an upgrade .  You'll know when you are close to the bottom....  LKN Marina blows through boats and I have seen them walk away from deals over small amounts. 

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

i got 25% off MSRP.  i was reasonably happy with that, given the current value of boats.  In other negotiations with Nautique (18%) and Mastercraft (22%).

10 hours ago, DrFred said:

i got 25% off MSRP.  i was reasonably happy with that, given the current value of boats.  In other negotiations with Nautique (18%) and Mastercraft (22%).

Is that dealer stock, or did you order?

11 hours ago, DrFred said:

From my experience - it was very difficult to get an apples to apples in what MSRP is from manufacturer to manufacturer.  I also think it is also difficult to compare region X to region Y in what you got off MSRP.  There are general rules of thumb, but what % off MSRP when I was buying boats in Ohio is far different than here on Lake Norman.

I agree with the above.  In a buyers market you can get to 30% off.  We are not in a buyer's market.   In this market and tight supply IF you got to 25% off I would take it immediately.  20% should be easily achievable and maybe more depending on options/dealer.

• Like 3

Curious:

Are you calculating your % off pre or post sales tax?

Also, are you factoring in any dealer add-ins too (PnP bags, etc.)?

Edited by Trizzil
11 hours ago, Trizzil said:

Curious:

Are you calculating your % off pre or post sales tax?

Also, are you factoring in any dealer add-ins too (PnP bags, etc.)?

Not sure if you’re asking someone specifically or as a general rule of thumb. In general, you should not factor in sales tax to % off msrp. That varies by state and is out of dealer control. 

I got 22% off MSRP on a pre-order 2021 23LSV including a "year end discount" and a "financing discount". 

I feel old for saying this but if you add together my first condo, boat and car, it was less than this dang boat!

On the other hand, the depreciation on my last Malibu was great.  Less than 50% over 16 years.  So cost of ownership pretty good.  

Bottom line...don't sweat it.  

I got 33% off but that was last April, three weeks before the local lakes opened back up.  I actually received an offer for the boat in July at 20k more than I paid for it.  Still ponder whether I should have taken that or not.

14 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If someone can get 30% an uninflated MSRP in this market, please send me their name.  I will hire them as a negotiator.

Good point, maybe not 30% in this market but that is what I got off of my 2019.

20 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If someone can get 30% an uninflated MSRP in this market, please send me their name.  I will hire them as a negotiator.

I got 40% off MSRP on a leftover 19 last June.. but I guess the run on boats was not in full swing then.. And I think all MSRP's are inflated.. 

Either way, go ahead and pm me your best offer. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

I got 40% off MSRP on a leftover 19 last June.. but I guess the run on boats was not in full swing then.. And I think all MSRP's are inflated.. 

Pics of the bill?  But you are right - easy to get 50% even if the MSRP is inflated.  And there is no real way of knowing, is there?  And note that I said "uninflated MSRP" so the position is stll open.  ;)

5 hours ago, jcon44 said:

Most importantly, dealer can make up an MSRP on the spot.  That basically makes this conversation completely moot.  

I think many use the same MSRP, but be aware that it can be manipulated.  But I do know that Nautique uses the same at all of their dealerships, unlike Malibu.  

It is reasonable to look at boats for sale by private parties on the internet that are 1-2 years old and see if they sell.  Don't just check the price once, although it is helpful.    I was watching some Axis boats like a hawk last fall, and some of them are still for sale because they were almost at the cost of a new one.  People who are not real serious, I suppose.  

I was surprised to learn that some dealers are deliberately hanging on to boats because they need something to show.  If they deplete the inventory completely, it gets harder to sell custom ordered boats.  So finding a boat in stock may be difficult.  The effects of COVID will likely carry over into this summer.  I expect good deals for buyers in spring of 22.    

Edited by TallRedRider