Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help With Getting Spark Plugs out!

Its time to change the plugs on my 07 23 LSV and I am stuck.  The most starboard plug is almost impossible to get to.  I was able to remove it and get it in finger tight.  The one I took out was broken by the last "mechanic" who must have used a pair of pliers on the insulator and broke it.  Help appreciated, my searches have been in vain.

Should be similar to my 2012 vtx.  Have you got a selection of wobble extensions?  Not a ujoint type wobble, but an extension that allows the socket connection to pivot a bit when you don't push it all the way into the socket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-Wobble-Extension-Set-3-Pieces-H3DWOBEXT3PC/202923528

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Cant get a thin walled socket on it ? What are the obstructions ?

Steve B.

I tried a thin wall the dish out I the exhaust manifold is just enough for the plug and boot.  I can’t even get a box end wrench on it

32 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Should be similar to my 2012 vtx.  Have you got a selection of wobble extensions?  Not a ujoint type wobble, but an extension that allows the socket connection to pivot a bit when you don't push it all the way into the socket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-Wobble-Extension-Set-3-Pieces-H3DWOBEXT3PC/202923528

Yep I used those to get it out.  There is not enough room to get anything on that plug. Turns out the plug insulator was cracked letting me get it out but not back in only finger tight

Something like this would probably work.  "SK 4480 3/8-Inch Flex Drive 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket". Might not be the right size but would probably work.  Other tool manufactures make similar.  

2 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Something like this would probably work.  "SK 4480 3/8-Inch Flex Drive 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket". Might not be the right size but would probably work.  Other tool manufactures make similar.  

That might work but I can’t get my regular thin wall S&K socket over the plug now no room

@Zippymbr - if you decide you are in a real bind and its the exhaust manifold that is the obstruction, take an old 12 point socket and grind one side either way down or even open.  It wont allow a 360 rotation and you will treat it like a wrench but at least it wont bind the plug that way.  Another trick is to remove any internal rubber insulator, allows the socket to wobble, just be careful as you tighten it, that may also solve your problem.  Good luck.

8 hours ago, LSVRIDER1 said:

Not cheap but a great set to have. Basically universal joint type spark plug sockets with extensions built in. They’re also magnetic which are way better than the rubber type. Amazon Gearwrench Spark Plug Socket Set

Gearwrench also sells them individually.  In case you only need one size.  Looks like a good tool to have!  Plus they have a nice offset  ratchet, too. "Click, add to cart..."  :)

22 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Zippymbr - if you decide you are in a real bind and its the exhaust manifold that is the obstruction, take an old 12 point socket and grind one side either way down or even open.  It wont allow a 360 rotation and you will treat it like a wrench but at least it wont bind the plug that way.  Another trick is to remove any internal rubber insulator, allows the socket to wobble, just be careful as you tighten it, that may also solve your problem.  Good luck.

interesting never thought of grinding down a cheap socket like that, cool