Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help With Getting Spark Plugs out!


Recommended Posts

Its time to change the plugs on my 07 23 LSV and I am stuck.  The most starboard plug is almost impossible to get to.  I was able to remove it and get it in finger tight.  The one I took out was broken by the last "mechanic" who must have used a pair of pliers on the insulator and broke it.  Help appreciated, my searches have been in vain.

Link to post

Should be similar to my 2012 vtx.  Have you got a selection of wobble extensions?  Not a ujoint type wobble, but an extension that allows the socket connection to pivot a bit when you don't push it all the way into the socket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-Wobble-Extension-Set-3-Pieces-H3DWOBEXT3PC/202923528

Edited by oldjeep
Link to post
1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Cant get a thin walled socket on it ? What are the obstructions ?

Steve B.

I tried a thin wall the dish out I the exhaust manifold is just enough for the plug and boot.  I can’t even get a box end wrench on it

Link to post
32 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Should be similar to my 2012 vtx.  Have you got a selection of wobble extensions?  Not a ujoint type wobble, but an extension that allows the socket connection to pivot a bit when you don't push it all the way into the socket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-Wobble-Extension-Set-3-Pieces-H3DWOBEXT3PC/202923528

Yep I used those to get it out.  There is not enough room to get anything on that plug. Turns out the plug insulator was cracked letting me get it out but not back in only finger tight

Link to post

Can you get a flex head gear wrench on the plug socket?  Or can't you even get your socket on the plug?

Might need a different plug socket.

Edited by oldjeep
Link to post

Something like this would probably work.  "SK 4480 3/8-Inch Flex Drive 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket". Might not be the right size but would probably work.  Other tool manufactures make similar.  

Link to post
2 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Something like this would probably work.  "SK 4480 3/8-Inch Flex Drive 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket". Might not be the right size but would probably work.  Other tool manufactures make similar.  

That might work but I can’t get my regular thin wall S&K socket over the plug now no room

Link to post

@Zippymbr - if you decide you are in a real bind and its the exhaust manifold that is the obstruction, take an old 12 point socket and grind one side either way down or even open.  It wont allow a 360 rotation and you will treat it like a wrench but at least it wont bind the plug that way.  Another trick is to remove any internal rubber insulator, allows the socket to wobble, just be careful as you tighten it, that may also solve your problem.  Good luck.

Link to post
8 hours ago, LSVRIDER1 said:

Not cheap but a great set to have. Basically universal joint type spark plug sockets with extensions built in. They’re also magnetic which are way better than the rubber type. Amazon Gearwrench Spark Plug Socket Set

Gearwrench also sells them individually.  In case you only need one size.  Looks like a good tool to have!  Plus they have a nice offset  ratchet, too. "Click, add to cart..."  :)

Link to post
22 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Zippymbr - if you decide you are in a real bind and its the exhaust manifold that is the obstruction, take an old 12 point socket and grind one side either way down or even open.  It wont allow a 360 rotation and you will treat it like a wrench but at least it wont bind the plug that way.  Another trick is to remove any internal rubber insulator, allows the socket to wobble, just be careful as you tighten it, that may also solve your problem.  Good luck.

interesting never thought of grinding down a cheap socket like that, cool

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...