Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to the crew, need some advise.

JMaddogT

So let me first say I am in the market for a new to me used Malibu. This being my first post I apologize if its a little scattered. I have been on the search for about 2 months,  I would like my budget for the boat not to exceed 50K, I know there are many just over that price range but I just want to make sure I'm not getting killed by the influx in prices this past year. Ideally I think I have landed on a 2006-2012 Malibu Wakesetter LSV 23' or 247(if you know any out there please pass along the details). In my search I came across what I think is a pretty good deal but its smaller then I really want. Am I crazy to consider one of the owners of a dealership's "really nice" 2011 Malibu 21' LSV with the Illmor 350 motor w/trailer or $35K?  This convo only just happened this afternoon so I'm trying to get some more details on the boat (hours, color scheme, etc...). Thought crossed my mind to use for a year and sell for a bigger when prices rebound. 

One of the other boats I currently have a line on is in Georgia, its a 2011 Malibu Wakesetter LSV 247, 505 hours, black/blue/white, entire boat just went sanded/buffed, trying to get maintenance records, new interior, w/trailer, $56K. Not sure how to add a pic or I would. 

What are your thoughts, opinions, concerns. Any direction or insight is helpful.

Thanks in advance.    

I’m guessing they mean Sunscape 21LSV with Indmar 350.  35k seems awful cheap for that though.  Any 2010 + Malibu Vdrive with G3 tower under 45k I’d be very suspicious especially considering they described a Malibu boat with a Mastercraft engine.  

But if he’s just confused and doesn’t know what he’s selling and you can pick up that boat up for 35k do it...if not send me his info because I’d be. 

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX

How big is the group you normally will go out with? Do you boat on a big lake or small? The 21 is a great boat but will definitely feel small compared to a 23 or 247. If you go out with more than 6-7 people you will start to feel the squeeze. Also, the bigger the lakes you frequent the bigger the boat you will want.

img%5Dimg%5D

16 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

I’m guessing they mean Sunscape 21LSV with Indmar 350.  35k seems awful cheap for that though.  Any 2010 + Malibu Vdrive with G3 tower under 45k I’d be very suspicious especially considering they described a Malibu boat with a Mastercraft engine.  

But if he’s just confused and doesn’t know what he’s selling and you can pick up that boat up for 35k do it...if not send me his info because I’d be. 

Sounds like he was confused. Its the 2011 Sunscape  21' LSV with Indmar 350. Includes trailer, cover, tower, and bimini. Has right around 500 hours. 

Edited by JMaddogT
pics added
5 hours ago, abovewater said:

What do you plan to do with this boat? 

Planning for some entry level wakeboarding and intermediate surfing. I have an 8yo daughter I want to teach.  Honestly it would probably be a boat I had for a year and then moved up to something bigger as needed. 

4 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

How big is the group you normally will go out with? Do you boat on a big lake or small? The 21 is a great boat but will definitely feel small compared to a 23 or 247. If you go out with more than 6-7 people you will start to feel the squeeze. Also, the bigger the lakes you frequent the bigger the boat you will want.

Small group (5ish) who like to have fun but is also all about relaxing in a cove for the busy part of the day. Lake Winni in NH is pretty big so I understand the need for a bigger boat but think this would be the right idea for something entry level. 

From my perspective the question I would ask is do you need the Malibu name and features or are you ok with an Axis? I say that because if you plan to surf, having surfgate is so nice. My first boat was a 12 A22 and clamping on the surf device all the time was annoying. Furthermore, it limited my ability to turn. For around $50k you can get a Surfgate equipped Axis. Surfgate will also make any boat easier to sell later. 

If you only have 5 people, a 21-22ft boat would be plenty.

4 minutes ago, abovewater said:

From my perspective the question I would ask is do you need the Malibu name and features or are you ok with an Axis? I say that because if you plan to surf, having surfgate is so nice. My first boat was a 12 A22 and clamping on the surf device all the time was annoying. Furthermore, it limited my ability to turn. For around $50k you can get a Surfgate equipped Axis. Surfgate will also make any boat easier to sell later. 

If you only have 5 people, a 21-22ft boat would be plenty.

I don't necessarily need the "Malibu" name. But for my first boat I think I can survive a year with surf gate for an extra $15K 

I assume you mean without. I can only speak from my own personal experience. When we bought our first (surf)boat, I thought the exact same thing about the added money for surfgate. After three years without it, I would never buy a surfboat without it. There's a reason surfgate equipped boats cost 15k more.

What I hear you saying is your willing to spend less on a boat without surfgate, but then you're also looking at a luxury brand boat in Malibu. Think of it this way, the Malibu name and creature comforts add 15k over the Axis.  My suggestion is to consider spending Malibu money and geting Axis + surfgate vs Malibu without. Hopefully that makes sense.

I will add that apart from pulling kids around on tubes, we spend ninety percent of our time surfing.

If my arguments don't persuade you, the the 21 and 23 LSV are both awesome boats. Also, a 25 foot boat takes a bit of getting used too, so if you plan to upgrade, I'd start with something smaller. We went from 22 to 24 and I'm glad we did, because my wife probably would'nt be willing to drive the 24 if she had not been comfortable with the 22 first.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JMaddogT said:

img%5Dimg%5D

Sounds like he was confused. Its the 2011 Sunscape  21' LSV with Indmar 350. Includes trailer, cover, tower, and bimini. Has right around 500 hours. 

That is a Wakesetter VLX.  They are willing to sell this boat for 35k?

1 hour ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

That is a Wakesetter VLX.  They are willing to sell this boat for 35k?

yes sorry that was a typo earlier. its the 21' Wakesetter VLX with the Indmar 350 for $35k, it seems like a crazy deal!!

21 minutes ago, Niver39 said:

That’s a steal at 35k even with needing new interior.

its defiantly a steal!!! I agree the interior is not 100% but I'm not sure it needs to be replaced just yet. good cleaning to start 

Be careful of the display on the bottom right.  If you see bubbles around the outside it is failing.  It is 2100 to replace.  Otherwise it is a great boat and I paid much more for mine but it has 280 hours on it.  Let me know if you have questions.

24 minutes ago, JLT3 said:

Be careful of the display on the bottom right.  If you see bubbles around the outside it is failing.  It is 2100 to replace.  Otherwise it is a great boat and I paid much more for mine but it has 280 hours on it.  Let me know if you have questions.

Yup, good advice.   Look up MTC failure LOTS of info and unhappy owners.  2011-2014 seemed to be the worse with touch screen. 

59 minutes ago, JMaddogT said:

its defiantly a steal!!! I agree the interior is not 100% but I'm not sure it needs to be replaced just yet. good cleaning to start 

If you don’t buy it let us know. Would even be worth buying it and selling it in the spring for a profit!

If you haven't bought this boat yet it's probably gone.  I picked up my 2010 for 35k in fall 2019 with a new engine and that was a steal then.  You can flip this for 50-60k in 3 months. 

Edited by jhartt3
4 hours ago, jhartt3 said:

If you haven't bought this boat yet it's probably gone.  I picked up my 2010 for 35k in fall 2019 with a new engine and that was a steal then.  You can flip this for 50-60k in 3 months. 

You got a good deal! 

On 1/5/2021 at 9:40 PM, JMaddogT said:

Did you buy it?

In the picture, you can clearly see the touch screen is delaminating, so it will need replacing for sure. Also, if you fid buy it, and it doesn't already have it, get the backup key installed, so when the screen doesn't work you can still start the boat.

The red staining on the rear vinyl is basically sunburn, not going to wash out. Just fyi.

Otherwise it looks in good shape. We are a family of 6, and regularly ran our 2011 VTX with a crew of 8. For that price you should be good getting going in a 21 footer with a crew of 5 adults. Grab a suck gate and some ballast bags and have fun!

If your not planning to buy it, let me know.

I vaguely remembering seeing this boat for sale a month or two ago. Not saying anything bad about it, just it has been for sale and no one bought it yet

1 hour ago, asnowman said:

Did you buy it?

In the picture, you can clearly see the touch screen is delaminating, so it will need replacing for sure. Also, if you fid buy it, and it doesn't already have it, get the backup key installed, so when the screen doesn't work you can still start the boat.

The red staining on the rear vinyl is basically sunburn, not going to wash out. Just fyi.

Otherwise it looks in good shape. We are a family of 6, and regularly ran our 2011 VTX with a crew of 8. For that price you should be good getting going in a 21 footer with a crew of 5 adults. Grab a suck gate and some ballast bags and have fun!

If your not planning to buy it, let me know.

Get in line 😉😂

Like Dad used to say "Anything too good to be true probably is".  Isn't anyone suspicious why a dealer would be dumping a boat like this for  maybe 2/3rds of what it is worth on the open market?

• Like 3